English Solicitor working in France

josa

I am an English qualified solicitor and I am considering a change of lifestyle. I own a property in Limousin (87)and would like to spend most of the year there - unfortunately English Lawyers cannot simply become French Lawyers due to the different systems. However, if I work for an English firm, but I am based in France I think I would be able to work as an English solicitor offering advice etc on English law to ex-pats. Does anyone know of any solicitors doing this already? Would there be any call for such a service in any event?

Thoughts etc much appreciated.

Hi

Welcome along. Even Lawyers are welcome here (until .......).

To the point (unlike most Solicitors I know); I would have thought that the best people to ask would be the Law Society, as are there not rules about being based outside the jurisdiction of the "law" that you practice? What need of English law would an expat have? Certainly not criminal. Civil? Perhaps, but if I need a Lawyer to sue someone in the UK courts (I still have business interests there) e.g, then I use a UK-based Solicitor.

You are quite right in surmising that you can't practice here, although there are (TTBOMK) several UK Solicitors who have "converted" and now practice French Law, in English. Your command of French would need to be exceptional, I guess; I doubt if Fr Legal exams are any easier than UK ones!

If you qualified in French (or European) employment law & set up here, then you would do a roaring trade - this, in my experience is the first Q that people ask.

Good luck!

PS. French solicitors do an awful lot for free.... and for fixed prices. And they are not all ......    sorry, I have had too much experience of the UK legal system....

Hi Nick - thanks for the input.

As far as practising "out of area" I know of a couple of English Lawyers doing English Law for Ex-Pats on the Costas - they work for English based firms as an external office and deal only in English Law - saving the client trips to the UK and providing face-to-face Legal advice rather than telephone/post etc - for instance, Conveyancing UK property, UK Will drafting, Probate work etc - yes, even Criminal law, but maybe that is due to their location!

I am sorry you are so cynical about Lawyers though - still, everyone is until they need us!

As Shakespear said - "first we kill all the lawyers" What he didn't go on to say was who would help defend you from the Murder charges!!!

Best wishes - josa

Hi Guru. yes French law applies for residents for most matters in France, but does not apply for, say, ownership of property in England - for example, if you were to be a resident (or national) of France, and you owned property in England, this can only be transferred by English law - As you know, just because you are resident in England, when you want to buy a house in France you need a French Notaire - the same applies the other way around. Also, many ex-pats still retain some connection with UK etc for which English law may apply  - just because I live in France does not stop English law applying to English matters.

Similarly, if you are involved in a car crash in England (visiting perhaps) then English law would apply for any claim for injury or losses - you may not want to go to England to visit your lawyer (might not be proportionate to the claim) but sometimes personal contact is needed or desirable - there I would be!!!!

Newbie - Thanks for the comments - I will be looking in that direction - good idea.

josa

Hi Guru. yes French law applies for residents for most matters in France, but does not apply for, say, ownership of property in England - for example, if you were to be a resident (or national) of France, and you owned property in England, this can only be transferred by English law - As you know, just because you are resident in England, when you want to buy a house in France you need a French Notaire - the same applies the other way around. Also, many ex-pats still retain some connection with UK etc for which English law may apply  - just because I live in France does not stop English law applying to English matters.

Similarly, if you are involved in a car crash in England (visiting perhaps) then English law would apply for any claim for injury or losses - you may not want to go to England to visit your lawyer (might not be proportionate to the claim) but sometimes personal contact is needed or desirable - there I would be!!!!

Newbie - Thanks for the comments - I will be looking in that direction - good idea.

josa