TEFL, teaching English in France etc

Bartbag

Without wanting to be too intrusive, are you American?  I heard back from the Director of the Institute just today after firing off a few more emails.  He perhaps has volunteer opportunities in their library (which does not sound well suited to my background) otherwise, there may be some work opportunities provided that I have a work permit, which I do not.  So, I would be rather curious, if you are American, did you have a work permit and carte de séjour, or are you somehow from Western Europe and that wasn't truly an issue or impediment?

I'm British, so there was no impediment! I actually teach a lot of people now who have been taught by the Franco American institute, so thats why I thought it would be a good option. Another place I did some teaching and there were other English speaking nationalities was the ESC at Rennes - there was definitely an Australian who taught there, but he was married to a French woman so maybe that made the difference. In my humble opinion, there are a lot of international companies in Rennes who deal probably more with American companies than British companies and as I'm sure you are aware, there are a number of differences in the two 'English' languages, so American English would be quite useful. I would have thought that there would be a lot of demand for your services. However, I know nothing on the work permit side which is obviously more difficult.

Great suggestions and perhaps what I can do is work around the system somewhat with regard to the permit, although I'm not entirely sure it'd work.  As part of my working in Information Technology and being self employed, I set up a corporation.  I wonder, were I to work teaching English (American English, and yes, I know differences of which you speak) in Rennes, and the businesses wrote a check to my company, and NOT to me, then there'd be no need to show a work permit, or otherwise provide documentation insofar as the French equivalent of a social security number as they'd be writing a check to the corporation and the corporation would be paying me, in the US.  Perhaps it's just a bit too 'pie in the sky.'  In any event, if money is not my issue (and at present, it's not), I should be able to volunteer teaching English, perhaps build up a client base, through the Institute, and then try going independent....once again, perhaps too 'p..i..t..s.'  Just brainstorming outloud here...sorry.  In any event, thanks much for all the information and ideas.

There have always been Americans working in the 'black economy' in TEFL in France and you'll no doubt find some private work. But you won't get anywhere with companies as the formation continue system is extremely complicated and requires loads of the right paperwork.

The Wall Street Institute in Paris has been advertising that it can get work permits for US citizens so you could contact them to see what they are suggesting. I've been trying and failing for more than 20 years to get work permits for US citizens that I wanted to employ so I'd be intereested too to find out how they are managing this.

Pearson

I've only just discovered this thread and have never taught in France, but wondered if my experiences in the UK would be relevant at all. I have been able to earn a living through private tuition (in a small town) by offering more than one subject - French, English and Maths - and by teaching all ages, from four to sixty-four. I began several years ago by registering with three private tuition agencies, and later switched to advertising in the Yellow Pages, which is where most of my students now come from. Some students come through personal recommendations as well. It has been a gradual process and I did need to have a part-time job in the early stages to supplement my income. I remember reading about five months ago in 'Le Monde' that private tuition for schoolchildren in France was becoming increasingly in demand, and that families can claim tax relief if their children are having extra tuition. This makes it seem that there must be potential for earning a living in that way, but I have found that advertising is the key. The cost has proved well worth it for me.

"I remember reading about five months ago in 'Le Monde' that private tuition for schoolchildren in France was becoming increasingly in demand"

I have received three demands from local families to teach their children English (collège aged children) since September. I have started doing a TEFL course with i-to-i as I have no previous teaching experience, and so having researched the subject and read many forums, made the decision that it was the right thing for me to do. I'm on module 3 of nine + two extras, but already I have learnt so much and it has given me more confidence. My French tutor (GRETA) has also indicated that they are always looking for Native English Teachers, so long term this could give me a 'small' income. BTW, I have insisted that I be paid by Cheque d'Emloi

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting to read this thread - I am in the Loire departement (42) & am trying to find work in TEFL. I have a CELTA certificate & 18 years experience as a qualified teacher. So far, no luck, although contacts in Roanne and St Etienne have said they "may" have work in the future.

What would people suggest in relation to approaching the local schools directly?
I am also thinking of putting posters up in various shop windows & the Mairie advertising my wares (as it were!)

I know it is difficult to find TEFL work in the Loire, because living in Lyon and having worked in TEFL I have worked with people who came from St Etienne on a daily basis to work here. St Etienne has a university, have you tried contacting them? Also you could try the chamber of commerce. Unfortunately it is a little late in the year now, as everything has started up already vacancies may well be filled. I don't think there are many language schools in St Etienne (I don't know Roanne at all), but it might be worth sending off CVs. The problem with this sort of work, even in the larger cities, is that it can take a while to get a full time contract, if that is what you are after.

Send your CV off to every language school in the Pages Jaunes, and also to the Chambre de Commerce and GRETA. I did this and got lucky, one of the language schools I applied for gave my CV to another one looking for teachers for a big company in my local city. I have recently had to turn down some teaching as there is too much for me to cope with.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a job in EFL teaching AND have the relevant diploma, move to Paris or another large city (how can you possibly hope to find a teaching position in a rural area ?)  BUT you will need CELTA or similar. Here in Paris, more & more language schools & businesses are weeding out unqualified teachers & going for QUALITY  - and having done a CELTA course is proof of that.  Just because you might have x number of years teaching experience on your CV or speak fluent French, or have done a "quickie" distance or telephone course doesn't mean that you're an effective teacher.

I recently completed a CELTA course in Paris & the person who had the most difficulty was an "experienced" teacher who had been using her own outdated teaching methods & was completely out of her depth using new learner-focused teaching  methods. 

"...more & more language schools & businesses are weeding out unqualified teachers & going for QUALITY  - and having done a CELTA course is proof of that."

Really?? I thought the CELTA qualification took only 5 weeks to do and consisted largely of writing out words on bits of paper and moving them around the desks. Is this really a quality option rather than employing experienced teachers? From my point of view I don't think I learnt anything from the course I did, but have learnt an awful lot in the 3 years I have been teaching. Maybe I'm being stupid, but isn't all teaching learner focused? - I've never done a lesson that was anything else. Intentionally that is.

For any cynical TEFL teachers with a sense of humour, you might want to have a look at this website:

www.englishdroid.com

and this article:

http://www.englishdroid.com/