Is this a forum or a member's club ?

Jenny Rennes

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: "They post relentlessly on just about every thread, which I don't have a problem with but in a manner that suggests that their opinion is infallible, which I do.Their only qualification for this elevated position, as far as I can see, is their ability to spend hours and hours trawling through the postings to find something (anything) that they can comment about."

Jenny, their problem could be Forum Addiction - this link should be compulsory reading for anyone joining a forum:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/effective-online-forum-usage.htm

- the "Potential Negative Effects" list should make a lot of relentless posters sit up and think or at least spark a good debate - the "suggestions for using forums effectively and avoiding the negative side effects" are particularly interesting, I like number one where it suggests a 30 day Forum Fast! I believe that at least one more negative effect should have been in the list, and that is the inability to accept any criticism and always thinking that one is right (self-denial of the truth?).

A lot of your comments can be seen as true in the light of what is said on the web site link above.

[quote user="Mochas"]I'd take great exception to being omitted from Tresco's list of helpful people but for the fact that a) I don't know very much and b) by the time I've polishd up the odd little gems of wisdom I do feel able to impart I invariably find that my (forum) elders and betters have already answered much more comprehensively than I could have done anyway.

Nevertheless, I think that my willingness to contribute is borne out by a couple of my recent postings, one on dog shite and one on snails (not in the same thread by the way) and I would be happy to be consulted by anyone wishing to avail themselves of my expertise on either subject.

[/quote]

That list was daft really, because there are  so many threads I never look at, so I don't see all those people being helpful, or just plain chatty.

And it isn't really to do with living here either, because there are plenty of people who don't live here who are very knowledgable too.

Jennes post did make me think about certain things though.

Replies in no particular order........

Christine Animal ..........what do you think of the new avatar then ?

Monika.........I've had that 'kiss of death' thing as well. Post something outrageous.

Twinkle........not quite blonde but I do help it a bit so yes.

Alfa......... no I work for a non passenger organisation. 

Mini-mum.........thanks for the link.  Fascinating article.

Tresco..............sorry, don't know this particular Franc. Have I missed the point/joke ?

Thanks for making this a fun thread everyone including Mr Le Bouffon or buffoon as someone said.

Now I have to work.

Jenny.[ap]

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Tresco"]

Cathy,

I've been reading Quillans posts for over 2 years and I don't think he's a lesbian at all!

[/quote]

I love women and don't like men, I can't help myself, so if I am not a homosexual I simply must be a lesbian.

Toodle Pip

[/quote]

Nonetheless, one cannot be too careful these days! Whilst I would NEVER

suggest that anyone on this fourm is anything other than what they

appear to be, it remains a fact that the www does leave scope for evil

doers and miscreants to tell some whopping great porkie-pies with

little fear of retribution.

My own dear brother (who for someone of his education and high native

intelligence can be remarkably naive and dim on occasion) had a

dreadful run in with a "cybertranny" a while back. I promised to keep

shtum about it, but it's a valuable lesson, and I am sure that he won't

mind me sharing it.[:)]

He entered into an online relationship with what he thought was a 20ish

year old nymphette called Candy or Cindy or somesuch from the US west

coast. Explicit email and (ultimately) intimate & compromising

photographs were exchaged. Unhappily it emerged that the young lady

was, in fact, an 18 stone truck driver from Alabama or Arkansas called

Flex or Bubba (I can't remember precise location and name details

because by the time he got to this bit of the sorry tale I was laughing

so hard that beer was coming out of my nose). There was much wailing

and gnashing of teeth when the truth was revealed, as you might

imagine....

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Tresco"]

Cathy,

I've been reading Quillans posts for over 2 years and I don't think he's a lesbian at all!

[/quote]

I love women and don't like men, I can't help myself, so if I am not a homosexual I simply must be a lesbian.

Flying - How about - Harvard, flying pig (Varsity), Hastings, Shacklton (tail dragger version), Devon, Dove, Heinkle 110 (Confederate Airforce USA), P51T, Beverly, C130, Cambera PR2, Hunter T4, Meteor T2, Lightening T7, Buccaneer S2C, Phantom FGR2,

My squadrons Motto.: Impiger et acer - 'Energetic and keen' and we were the first squadron to operate off the Falklands in 1982 so if there are any buffs out there then they will know there are only two places (well three if you include the Heinkle 110) I could have flown in all these aircraft, one is a geographical place the other is squadron number.

AND I keep a Raptor 40 helicopter (anyone want ot buy it?) in one of my large garages here in France so there.

Toodle Pip

[/quote]

Great! Now I love men but do enjoy womens company especially if they've a blokes sense of humour soooo here's a NEWSFLASH! From 10 o clock this evening 'til 01.30 my band are playing in an irish pub called the O Sheridans in Carcassonne AND guess who's gonna be there trying to grab the limelight from me?  For 2 days only folks the lunatic who started this controvertial thread the one and only Katy Kopy Kat is visiting me here in France.  Cross my heart and hope to die.  Why don't you come along  and enjoy a bucket of vodka with us?  You could wear a carnation on your jacket or something or just come and make yourself known to me. Go on it'll be a laugh!

I haven't chipped in for a while on this as frankly I'm still getting over the shock of learning that Jenny's original picture wasn't a true likeness. (I hope to God the new one isn't.)

You'll be telling me next that the picture of Quackers is fake, too. Please don't. "She" was the main reason for me signing up in the first place.

[quote user="Chas"]Not a buff - but I guess that would be 29 Squadron then.[/quote]

Give that man a prize.

The other place was E.T.P.S. (Empire Test Pilots School) at the Royal Aircraft Establishment Fanborough before it was flogged of to BAC. ETPS was where we (the British) taught the American 'Top Gun' instructors how to fly properly.

...NEWSFLASH! From 10 o clock this evening 'til 01.30 my band are playing in an irish pub called the O Sheridans in Carcassonne AND guess who's gonna be there trying to grab the limelight from me?  For 2 days only folks the lunatic who started this controvertial thread the one and only Katy Kopy Kat is visiting me here in France.  Cross my heart and hope to die.  Why don't you come along  and enjoy a bucket of vodka with us?  You could wear a carnation on your jacket or something or just come and make yourself known to me. Go on it'll be a laugh!

Oh how I wish I could, but I am nowhere near there.

You should post a version of this message in the relevant 'regions of France' section

[quote user="chris pp"]

I'm not a lesbian, I have been known to wear womens clothes but that's not the same thing at all, oh and the odd touch of make up.

Chris

[/quote]

It's those thongs that get me every time. They really are not designed for the mans body. For example, ever see Peter Stringfellow walking along the beach with his 25 year old wife (who married him for his natural good looks and wit, nothing what so ever to do with the money) wearing his thong. Great cure for premature ejaculation, just hold that thought for 10 seconds (or less).

[quote user="Cathy"]Quillan - where are you?  I want to know now whether you are male or female.  I am confused (as usual).  I am off to France soon, where I shall be minus my computer, and I can't spend 3 weeks not knowing.  I won't sleep at night...[/quote]

Helloooooo Cathy, I'm in Quillan of course, do you never read Buffys posts? Why don't you come down and see me some time [^o)]

Lesbian or not Quillan, your my hero, all those now classic aircraft, i hope you didn't get your suspender belt caught up in the tight cockpit of the Lightning.

I worked for a while at the old Blackburne factory (Brough) where the Bev & buccaneer were produced. The old hands still have fond memories of both.

If you have time do enlarge on your experiences.

Tally Ho.

Come on now,some of us are sailors lets have some balance how about a moody or a westerly or even a nickelson or one of the best ever boats I captained an endurance,that boat has been round the world in all kind of seas,I remember sailing out of malta in a force 6,waves short and very steep crashing in on the hull,that was a boat.

[quote user="bedders"]

Lesbian or not Quillan, your my hero, all those now classic aircraft, i hope you didn't get your suspender belt caught up in the tight cockpit of the Lightning.

I worked for a while at the old Blackburne factory (Brough) where the Bev & buccaneer were produced. The old hands still have fond memories of both.

If you have time do enlarge on your experiences.

Tally Ho.

[/quote]

My first jolly in the Lightening was from Farnborough to north Scotland and back. I remember this for several reasons. The first was the apprentice airframe fitter who came out with his apprentice master (anyone remember them) to do the before flight. The apprentice having seen his master kick the tyres on a Devon (to see if they were inflated at the top and sides, the must of been OK at the bottom coz it wasn't sitting on the rims but you never know, tricky things tyres)  tried the same on the Lightening. He was not aware that the Lightning had a tyre pressure near 1000 psi seeing as it was the only aircraft that could land by making a controlled crash landing and the Devon had only 60 psi, result two broken toes. The floor of the cockpit was oval because you were sitting directly over the engine intake and first compressor, any fod and you got shredded. We did a scramble takeoff, sort of zero to 200mph in 2 seconds then nose up arse down and about 25,000 ft in 10 seconds, it's like one thousand people kicking your arse with size twelve’s all at the same time. Round trip on full throttle, through the gate, about 30 mins which included 10 just turning round.

The aircraft I liked the most was the old Shackleton because it was the maritime version of the Lancaster (mine was a tail dragger). Navigators, radio, bomb aimers and pilots all left their parachutes at the rear door coz you couldn't get over the main spar with it. Boy those guys that flew these things to Germany and back in WW2 were real heroes in my book.

What any of this has to do with the original thread I don't know, still there you go.

[quote user="le bouffon"]Come on now,some of us are sailors lets have some balance how about a moody or a westerly or even a nickelson or one of the best ever boats I captained an endurance,that boat has been round the world in all kind of seas,I remember sailing out of malta in a force 6,waves short and very steep crashing in on the hull,that was a boat.[/quote]

Well helloooo sailor, bit of an old jack tar then. I had a Westerly 33 for many years (got my Yacht Masters), a Fox Cup before that (Good old Uffa Fox, remember him). Ended up up with a nice 70ft metal jobby (Narrow Boat) which Pat and I plus three cats and a dog lived on for three years. Helped to make Waterworld TV program (series 1 and 2) with my old mate Timothy West and his wife.

Still haven't found that golden rivet yet, have you?

Getting back to the original question set by Jenny Rennes.  I think , perhaps , that if you are not witty, wicked or wise its best to just be a voyeur on the forum.  Less painful than trying to grow a thicker skin.

Wow this thread caused a response,I do not contribute all the time ,I must say I think the forum is great and love reading the regulars posts and often wonder what it would be like to have a forum get together it  would be brilliant to meet some of you.From a personal point of view my partner watches a huge amount of television, so I go on the forum,I laugh out loud sometimes at some of the postings, its like a good book except the characters are all familiar and real, I have learnt so much about France even though I have had a house there for fifteen years.I would have loved to have taken the plunge and moved to France but my work is a bit restrictive and frankly my partner was never very keen to up sticks, so the forum has bridged a huge gap in my life, it may seem sad but the winters are long and it entertains me in the long winter evenings.Long may it continue and thanks to all you great characters.Regards.

[quote user="bedders"]

Lesbian or not Quillan, your my hero, [/quote]

Hi bedders.

I hope you won't mind if I use your delightful greeting from time to time with Quillaine, when he's being a bit... you know.

I'm amazed we have so many pilots on the forum. All I can say about you all is:

You Take My Breath Away!

[quote user="Pip"]Getting back to the original question set by Jenny Rennes.  I think , perhaps , that if you are not witty, wicked or wise its best to just be a voyeur on the forum.  Less painful than trying to grow a thicker skin.[/quote]

Come on Pip, don't worry about things like that.  Just be yourself, that is what is so good about it all, different characters, different opinions, different views, which make one great forum.  You can't please all the people all the time, that's a fact and we all commit blunders.  I was even thinking they could make a forum "bétisier" as they do on the French television every Christmas...

Please don't be a voyeur(euse), I enjoy your posts.  If we were all voyeurs or all decided to fast, well, we would all be in le néant.