Reflexology

Drwwood

She will need to have qualifications if she wishes to have insurance but as reflexology is unregulated she does not actually need it to practise, but of course it would probably not be wise to work without professional cover.  Registration is directly with URSSAF and there is no pension provision unless this has recently changed, therefore the only charges are URSSAF and health. The NAF code used is normally 930L which is "other bodily care". The use of the word massage must be avoided at all costs, therefore not Reflexology massage. Please feel free to E-mail me if you would like more information.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I will try and explain this one in terms of French state logic, but I have to say it's a bit "Alice through the looking glass". You have to start with the understanding that many things are illegal or forbidden but are sometimes and in some places tolerated.

So, It is illegal to practise or advertise the service of massage in France unless you are a state trained Kinésithérapeute as it is a medical practise of massage and manipulation. Massage for relaxation or well being is not recognised by the state and there is a wealth of information about this on the web, even the cyclists in the tour de France can't have a massage at the end of the day except by a Kiné.

What this means in reality is that non medical massage is widely carried out in France either overtly in some regions (e.g.Paris) or by subterfuge using terms such as "Indian head relaxation" or technique bien être and so on. Generally a blind eye is turned to this unless someone complains to the Gendarmes, at which point an investigation takes place and the procureur is informed, this will result in either a caution ( which remains in place for life ) or a fine and/or prison.

I think another member of this forum may know a little about this subject, I am now going to turn into a rabbit.   Chris

I am an acupuncturist here in France and had to jump through the same hoops to become registered.  I am not allowed to call myself an acupuncturist so after many misunderstandings at the URRSAF offices I settled on calling myself a 'Practicien en Medicin Chinois'.

At the end of the day it is all in a name.  As long as you dont call yourself whatever it is you are they are happy to register you and for you to pay the state cotisations.  However you do run the risk of being prosecuted although as far as I know there has never been a prosecution yet.  I have insurance against being prosecuted here which is provided by the governing body of acupuncture here in France.  It is the weirdest situation possible!

I am very highly qualified in the UK and have an honours degree in acupuncture from Oxford Brookes University.  Most doctors learn their acupuncture at weekend sessions so I have no qualms about my skill levels.

I cant advertise in the press except to say I have opened a new clinic etc.  My GP here knows what I do and is all for it so I am hoping that I can work under her umbrella in the future.

Gail

As you so rightly say Gail, it's the weirdest situation possible, but it's France!

I think I should say that people have been prosecuted, many, many French people and it should also be considered that a so called "caution" from the procureur isn't like a caution in the UK. It says that no further action will be taken at the present BUT if you commit any other offence at any time in your life the case will be resurrected.

Sophrologie, that's another good word, used a lot!!

Chris

Thanks for clarifying that Chris.  In the paperwork from the French Acupuncture association they state that no-one has been prosecuted!!  Maybe in their eyes a caution isnt a prosecution?  That prolly means that I am not insured against being cautioned then.  Sometimes I do wonder why I bother working over here

Gail x

Hi Gail,

I wonder if it would be safe for me to describe mine as  'Practicien en Medicin Indien'.  It all sounds like a bit of a nightmare.  The actual training I am doing is Indian Champissage.  It is very intensive training with lots of case studies.  I hope after all my hard work I will be able to use it.  Who do you get your insurance to practise through?  Any information would be more that welcome.  Many thanks.

Suey

I got my insurance through the French acupunture association called SIATTEC.  I found them by searching online.  How good is your french.  There are loads of alternative thereapy sites you just need to search for them.  If I have time I will ahve a look.

You can call yourself whatever you like when you register as long as you dont call yourself anything which only a medical doctor can do.  Practicien en Medicin Indien will be fine I think.

Gail

Hello Gail,

My french is not yet wonderful, have been attending classes for three and a half years, so am trying!  If you do find out anything re insurance I would really appreciate it.  Whereabouts are you?  We are moving to the Pas de Calais in September permanently.

Best wishes and thanks.

Suey

I found this site which is for Reflexology and has lots of info if you want to set up your business here

http://www.medecines-douces.com/ecole-formation/centre/ecole-reflexologie-toulouse.htm

Indian head massage is massage de crane indien so that you know.  I have searched on the internet for it briefly and cant find any associations but the site above might be helpful re insurance.  Also contact your UK insurer they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps

Gail x