No going back

M

Am I mistaken, or is Ben still driving his Landrover on UK plates - 3 years after moving to France? And don't you need to be qualified to work as a ski instructor / mountain guide? I doubt if he is! What a plonker! Obviously French laws don't apply to him.

m

Personnally, I think his wife is an even bigger plonker than him!!  They deserve each other!!  Would anyone, on this forum, ever have dreamt of living like them - no savings & running a business they know very little about.  I couldn't be that brave (or mad?!!)

Just as an afterthought - anyone else feel really sorry for their poor kid, who is going to be dressed as a leopard cub for the first 6 months of their life?!! [8-)]

I felt sorry for the paying guests, though I assume they must have known that they were being filmed and ultimately telivised.

Cornflakes for breakfast in france, thats a joke right! last time my youngest was served cornflakes in france, she was hospitalised , she was given a bowl of hot chcolate and a bowl of cereal, when she requested milk to go on her cereal , I thought the lady was going to request she be certified, apparantly you either eat them with your fingers or tip them in the chocolat chaud.

Will look more closely at the reg plates next week when they take their cub home from the hospital

[quote user="Chezstevens"]If it all went swimmingly then there would not be a programme - take it for granted that there has been some editorial flannel.  I hope that their efforts to provide entertainment for the wannabees has resulting in suitable compensation.[/quote]

But their website is not a patch on many that I have seen on here, it seems quite poor actually.

I'm sure to act as a ski/mountain/walking guide you would certainly need to be qualified, and more importantly, insured. Does he have current first aid training as well?. And why does he have to get drunk along with his guests...a bit immature me thinks.

The stats about the amount of British people returning home from their dream move to France (and elsewhere) are astounding - something like 30,000 people a year come home? Now some of them will have discovered that they didn't like the French food and too much sun after all but presumably a lot of these return home because of failed businesses.

What always astounds me about the No Going Back subjects (when there was a different one each week) was the percentage of them that moved abroad and had made no effort to learn enough of the language of their adopted homes to even 'get by' and then they wonder why they're finding it difficult to fit in. And then there's the total suspension of the cautious practices most sane people would employ if buying property or starting a business at home. No surveyors report, no research on the resale value, or property price trends. No market research for the new business and the almost total reliance on the British market for their customers and the use of the internet to generate the business.

Yes, the episode about those two plonkers who bought the fancy place over in Provence with two swimming pools and guest cottages springs to my mind. They didn't have  any of the surveys done and the seller was a dear old man who had tears in his eyes at the signing. The heating system for the house was leaking dangerous carbon monoxide, the pool filtration was up the spout, the boilers didnt work and  the toilets from the guest cottages leaked raw sewage straight into the garden behind!. Among other things!!. At the very least would there not have been a pong and some flies around the cottages?. Then they put the two kids into International School so they could have an English education. It seems some people making the move here look at the wrong things...they see an exposed beam or two and think theyve found paradise. Just looking at Ben and Amy's website tells you they are only trying to target the english market. There are so many that do that.

Just take it all with a very large pinch of sel [;-)] Remember Nigel and Nippy blundering around the Ardeche ???? and Nigel not having a home in the UK or any income??? hmm ....well MOH half works in the film and TV industry doing payrolls.... enough said [;-)][:D]

It's reality TV without the errrrr what's it called ........ Oh yeah ... reality [;-)]

[quote user="wen"]Yes, the episode about those two plonkers who bought the fancy place over in Provence with two swimming pools and guest cottages springs to my mind. .[/quote]

Oh, I remember this one too.  They really were totally clueless. 

On the other hand, when we bought our house in L.A., we were first time homebuyers and there must have been somebody watching out for us, because we did things in pretty clueless way ourselves.  We were damned lucky that there was nothing wrong with it, because 9 years after we bought it, there was the huge L.A. earthquake which struck about two miles from our home.  It did NOT fall down around our ears, which was very nice.

PG

There was a lot about that series that seemed just a little toooo faaarrrr fetched for me. I mean, especially the business with that purple haired, dreadfully dressed mortgage woman. It all seemed scripted to me. What on earth would she see in him in reality!! We stayed in that pink hotel in Vals and were witness to a very embarrassing incident when the lady manager/owner came out onto the balcony looking for the occupants of a certain room and when she found them, sitting at a table beside us, proceeded to scream abuse at them about something they'd done to a lamp in the room. We got up and moved.

Well on this week's edition of No Going Back... the number plates were blurred out [:)] maybe someone read this thread LOL

They were all happy at the end as well, leopard boy has put in an appearance and their "chalets" (which look more like apartments to me [8-)]) have all increased in value by 20,000 euro!

What I find really strange is that those 2 were on 6 figure salaries in the UK..... doing what? [8-)] if brains were dynamite they couldn't blow their noses[:-))]

[quote user="Bassman"]

Well on this week's edition of No Going Back... the number plates were blurred out [:)] maybe someone read this thread LOL

They were all happy at the end as well, leopard boy has put in an appearance and their "chalets" (which look more like apartments to me [8-)]) have all increased in value by 20,000 euro!

What I find really strange is that those 2 were on 6 figure salaries in the UK..... doing what? [8-)] if brains were dynamite they couldn't blow their noses[:-))]

[/quote]

Actually, I think the plates have been blurred sind the beginning of the series; maybe to keep their car from being stolen?

I don't remember what the wife did, but I think the husband was an investment banker.  Scary, huh?

PG