Income from brocantes etc

sclarke2208

As someone who enjoys table top sales and car boot sales in UK, and having read that everything you seem to make money from in France is taxable(!!!) is there any chance that I could sell stuff at vide-greniers and brocantes without having to worry that someone is standing behind me[6] to check what I am selling!!

roseysan[:D]

They will probably be standing in front of you in the form of Gendarmes asking for proof that your business is registered in France and therefore paying social charges and tax. Our local police are always high profile at local markets and brocantes.

Jan

I find that amazing really. As I would look upon it as getting rid of unwanted items not actually 'buying to sell' as a trader. Can you imagine the response at the 100's of boot fairs in the UK, most of which are 'empty the loft and de-clutter' sellers. But thanks anyway, maybe there will be a lesser type of sale i.e. flea markets perhaps or are they all classed the same by the French?

roseysan

The rules on this changed fairly recently, you really do need to be properly registered otherwise I think you are limited to one or maybe two sales a year as far as I know.

PS Don't feel complacent in the UK either, many local authorities have people who go round car boots taking car registration numbers, if you appear too regularly you could be investigated.

[quote user="sclarke2208"]

I find that amazing really. As I would look upon it as getting rid of unwanted items not actually 'buying to sell' as a trader.

[/quote]

I am afraid that a lot of things regarding taxation in France are amazing. [8-)]

Villages and towns sometimes have one annual flea market where you dont have to be registered to sell, but Gendarmes are usually in attendance. If you are selling at several its simple you are in business.

Jan

There's nothing complicated about it at all, what was happening here in France and I should think it's the same in the UK, is that some people were working brocantes and vide greniers all over France, two or three days a week as illegal non-registered traders. In the case of vide greniers the purpose is to provide local people with an opportunity to do what it says, empty their attics once a year. Now, it seems, you are allowed to stand / stall out at two local vide greniers a year, therefore the local gendarmes will be present (not always in uniform) to see what's going on. You are also required to register your name and address in all cases with the organisers, who will probably ask for identification if they don't know you.

Chris.

You are right Chris, in the UK there has been a big clamp down in this sort of trade, antique centres are obliged to give lists of their stall holders and fair organisers have to give a list of stand holders too. Now so many auctions are computerized there is nearly always a record of buying activity as well.

In France the regulations have been tightened up too.AFAIK You either have to be a 'proper dealer' and all that entails or limit your selling to a couple of vide grenier a year.

I think that a couple of vide-greniers a year will be the path follow! It is just something I enjoy doing here in UK, having a periodic clear out and off loading stuff at boot fairs. Thanks for all your comments everyone. I look forward to being a french resident in the not so distant future.[:D]

roseysan

In a recent article in France Ouest , the subject was brought up about the regulars at V.Gs. The registered Antique dealers were complaining about the amount of V.Gs, now about 50.000 a year and the people doing it as a regular income and not paying the costs incurred by registered dealers. It was pointed out that the 2 a year is virtually uninforceable. Having done a few over the years, the Gendarmes do occasionally put in an appearance but the organisers are supposed to log and report the names of those selling anyway. Whether anyone ever correlates this info is anyones guess,

Going on from other posts, I wouldn't want to earn a living at it,virtually impossible, but it is a good way to clear your surplus and get rid of the items you bought at last years V.Gs. There is usually a bit of chat between your neighbour sellers, mostly local French, and always a Galette Saucisse to eat. Before I get another slating,I don't organise any, I don't sell anymore but I enjoy going to them as it is one way of finding previously unvisited villages/towns, occasionally meeting like-minded people[French and UKers]and like today buying another 2 kitchen pots to add to the 250+ in the shed. Boom Boom.

Regards. B&B St.Malo.    ourinns.org

Lovely post, Gastines. I know there are unscrupulous traders here in the UK but I would say that the fairs I have done are 95% mums & dads selling their offsprings clothes and toys and yes, there are dealers selling plants and flowersand other stuff but mostly seasonal. But do I ever see a policeman? Hardly ever, trading standards officers are common enough but they are there for a very different reason to the french gendarmes. As you say, to take note of all people who turn up would be almost unenforceable. However, I shall give it a go and certainly for browsing, just enjoy and like you a visit to another town/village is always welcome.

roseysan

Roseyan,  I don't suppose that you will have any problems if it really is only "tat" and a bit here and there.

Perhaps not everyone will be aware though that in France a "dealer" has to have a police book in which all purchases and sales must be recorded with the name and address of the seller and the amount paid, each item must be recorded in this book at the time of purchase, not later in the shop or at home, and given a unique number in the book with a label on the corresponding item. Sales must be recorded when made. If you are a dealer and have a "control" either on the road, at a market or your premises and this is not complied with, the poo hits the fan big time.

Chris

In reply to Chris and his reference to the Police book. We opened an Antique/junk shop [for a very short space of time] at our house at Cherreiux.We visited the Mairie, advised him of our plans etc and asked what we needed to comply with? Just declare your income!! do we need anything in writing from you? NO.So, we duly filled up our shop, put a sign on the edge of the road,piled up all sorts of goodies outside the door and duly opened. We did a roaring trade with people from all over Europe.Then we had a visit from a lady who had a pretty grim shop in the next village. She had a good look around and went.A couple of days later we had a visit from the local Gendarmerie. They had a look around and asked for our Livre d'Police. WHAT'S THAT?  They then made numerous phone calls, on our phone, and basically didn't know what to do.They said we should sell it in THe PUB, we thought that a bit odd till some weeks later we found out what THE PUB actually was! The chief told the younger one to take some photo's. However, with the little French my wife understood at the time, she gathered that they didn't have a film!!She asked if it was a Guillotine offence but they weren't amused. Anyway, duly got the book,quite expensive, got it stamped by the Marie, and wrote in all the purchases over 400F, mostly from the tip!! They said they'd return in a week to see it.They didn't return. So we visited the Gendarmerie and were told they were on holiday but don't worry they all knew about us!!! To save my wife having a nervous breakdown ,we closed the shop.

Back to hospital corners.

Regards. B&B St.Malo.    ourinns.org