Everyman and his mower...

Ty Korrigan

If you register "Petit Travaux de Batiment" there is no reason you could'nt do all that, the registering is the tricky bit, you need an attestation from an employer or proof of self-employed activities for a period of 3 years, give or take.

There is no concept in this country of "multiskilled" but they are getting the idea as more people demand it. The bottom line is, the system is not allowed by EU law to prevent you from earning a living if you want to carryout work you are experienced in, you do not need any qualifications from England they are not relevant here, ( I hasten to add this is the case in this dept).Infact in most cases it is easier for foreigners to register than natives, which can be problem when Hobby Bobby turns up with his dodgy references, but thats another issue!

[quote user="tj"]

Ty

It is obvious you are finding this frustrating, what is it that you want to do? workwise I mean. You can register as "Petit Travaux de Batiment" which covers every trade.

[/quote]

No, that's just it, I don't want to do all of that sort of work, all I want is to get by and live a simple life, it was just that I felt that you were pointing a finger at people like me, if I am wrong then I apologise...just that not all of us that are doing a bit of this or that are ripping people off, we work, we pay our dues, we do a good job. It is possible that people moving to France will get the idea from your original post that anyone English in an old car/van is out to rip them off and that's not always the case, I do agree with other posters that over time you do find that your opinion of certain people who you may have thought of as genuine turn out NOT to be so. It is a mistake thats lots of us who move to France or have holiday homes make, we assume that because someone speaks English that they must be OK and will be our friend, STOP and ask yourself, "if I was back in the UK would I want to be friends with this person?" and when it comes to employing people then the same "Would I want this person to work on my house?" Of course I may be totally wrong......[:)]

Evening...

Here is an example for you all...

www.centralbrittanypropertyservices.com

An entreprising couple who I am not knocking here.

They offer everything from Gite turnarounds/gardening/maintenance and even a minidigger! Oh how I love mini diggers!

Hi - Does Quillan mean you live and work there - in fact are you Robert  with whome I had a short correspondence 18 months ago?

I have a house in Rennes les Baines and wish to replace the garage door with French style shutters and a patio door. Do I need planning permission for this change? I am assuming there is no problem strcuturally, as it is a single story garage and the opening already has a lintel in place.

Regards  Stephen Mellor

[quote user="Stephenm"]

Hi - Does Quillan mean you live and work there

SNIP

[/quote]

Sorry I was making general comments based on personal experience in our area, I don't know where Ty lives and I have no knowledge of him other than through this forum. I do however agree with his comments as running a B&B and being legal and registered and paying my tax and social charges I get fed up with those in my area that advertise, get guests and are not registered and pay nothing. If they have a website I just email it to the Tresur Public and let them sort it out. Nasty of me, you bet, why should I pay  tax and social charges especially when they actually brag about the money the earn and the fact they get free medical treatment. The French will tell on anyone so as I live here I am only to happy to do the same.

Ty - Perhaps you could contact 'centralbrittanyservices' and ask what their registration is? But from what I read on their site I think some of the work they are offering is contracted out.

Have you changed your mind about giving up your business to take the job you have been offered? It sounded too good to miss out on!

Good luck with your new job!

Yes I noticed there isn't a Siret on their website but I guess it doesn't mean they don't have one. There's no contact address nor their full names on there either.

I would not buy any product or service from someone who has those on their website as a minimum. Trading standards in the UK state that websites selling services/products should have full names, addresses and phone number - is there a similar regulation in France?

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"]Evening...

Here is an example for you all...

www.centralbrittanypropertyservices.com

An entreprising couple who I am not knocking here.

They offer everything from Gite turnarounds/gardening/maintenance and even a minidigger! Oh how I love mini diggers!

[/quote]

Ty

Thanks for the free advertising by highlighting our website, but how dare you criticise and judge when you do not know us, know of our skills, work history etc.

We are moving back to France 13 June.  The website was purely to try and gauge what services are in demand and is very very much a work in progress website with some pages not even finished.  French contact details obviously not on there as I am sat in sunny Lincolnshire surrounded by packing boxes.

In our first few weeks we will be registering and will seek advise from the official department as to what we can best register as and how

this covers us as a couple.   We will not be working on the black - thank you all for your concern.

Is it a crime to want to make a go of a life in France?  You seem to be policing it on all forums and generally having a go at newcomers who might just be setting up on your turf. 

Dave and Denise

I didn't even think you could do any marketing without being registered first, even to the extent of having a web site to test the market.

I would like to know if you can conduct such market research first because it would be useful to me and probably many others, but I am sure that I have read more than once that you cannot do this .

This was posted recently but not by me.

"To work legally - including marketing and advertising - you must register & therefore pay cotistations. In fact, you can (it is normal) pay your cotistations quarterly, in arrears. So, if you register today, you will not be expected to pay anything until 1st September. If, just before that point, you contact your pension & health care people, you will be able to get the payment reduced or defferred. In the meantime, of course, you will benefit from the French health system. You can't do this as a self-employed person in the UK, although I appreciate that the payments are lower - but taxes are higher, etc etc!"