registering as a self employed farm worker

riberac

Can anyone help me.I am trying to be legal and register as a self employed farm worker as I work for the English farmers im my area as and when they require me.I have been to Chambre d'Agricole they say they have never heard of such a job go to the Chambre de Commerce.I have tried URSSAF they say its not them.I have had a french person doing the phoning for me so that they understood clearly.If anyone can help I would be most grateful as I want to work legally so I have insurance if I have an accident.

Basically the french like fixed contracts of employment or completely registered as artisans etc paying the charges. All boils down to insurance and health cover and who pays out in case of accidents etc.Bosses are held responsible when employees get hurt and carry the can in most cases which is usually through negligence. Most french workers stay with an employer full time and do not move about in the british matter to which you are suggesting,plus there are the other items like pensions and unemployment payments to which you will also have to suscribe to compulsarily. Many areas of France too are very uncertain when a foreigner arrives demanding something out of the ordinary and tend to pass the buck a lot.

Hi

The problem is theres not yours, you can do whatever you like its upto them to decide which category you fall into, at a guess I would suggest " Entretien Espaces verts "

good luck,

Evening...

If this catagory is not obvious to the authorities could it concievably be that it don't exist...?

Out of interest...how would you find work and who would you work for...?

I mean farming communities here are pretty tight knit and unless you are in with the community who do you hope will employ you...?

Have you asked the Chambre de Agriculture just what farmers do in France when they want extra help...?

Prehaps there is another way...

Riberac, like tj said, the problem is theirs and not yours and as Val says they'll shove you from pillar to post. Without getting too lengthy when I registered they asked me what I did. I said I work with Oak and I'll do what I want to do, after alot of 'discussion' they agreed. Like you I just wanted to do my own thing, be legit, pay my charges and be covered. Don't ever take no for an answer from the beauros.

I applaud your honesty and wanting to be legit, just don't give the fonctionnaires an easy ride, most of them are jobsworths who never worked a hard day in their live's and never took the chances that you and I have had to.

Good luck....and don't ever give up!

Chris

I had very similar problems when registering my business as I am an acupuncturist but not a Doctor and they didnt recognise this.  In the end after much debate they agreed that I should register as a 'Practicien en Medicine Chinoise'.  They were quite happy then and are only too happy to take my cotisations from me.  Incidentally because my profession is not recognised here I do not have to pay into the compulsory pension scheme.  I think you will find that you just have to find the right lable for yourself so that they can slot you into the system.  There are people here who do contract farm work as  a friend of mine had one to do some work in her fieilds.

Gail

[quote user="Gail Smith"]

Incidentally because my profession is not recognised here I do not have to pay into the compulsory pension scheme.  

[/quote]

Are you sure about that? What I do doesn't fit conveniently into any of the standard French pigeonholes, so none of the retirement caisses suggested by URSSAF wanted to know and sent the dossier on to the next. When the accountant eventually got to the bottom of the long period of inactivity and found the right one, which deals with miscellaneous professions liberales, I got a bill for what was owing. Fortunately I had been anticipating this, though didn't expect the sum demanded to be quite so large (the accountant is trying to get it to be recalculated to what he thinks it ought to be). According to the accountant, it is compulsory for everybody working in France to pay into a retirement fund, regardless of whether or not you are likely to get anything out of it.

I can back Gail up on that one, the majority of people practising complimentary therapies in France don't have anyone to collect a pension contribution, therefore they can't pay it. I think that the Gov. is looking into this as these therapies gain popularity in France. Most French people practising have another income source.

Chris.

Thank you for your replies.To the people that askd where I would get work fromI have already had 7 or 8 english farmers asking me to do jobs for them but they can not afford to take someone on full time hence my reason for being self employed.Also I can work for the numerous french farmers.

As an agricultural worker you will come under the umbrella of the MSA which is no bad thing as it is widely regarded as the best Mutuelle in France being as it is a largely agricultural country. However, if you really want to be self employed you will need to register first with the Chambre de Commerce or the Chambre de Meteo and then choose MSA as your mutuelle. Problem is that neiter of them will have a category describing 'agricultural worker' which is just too vague for the French system and you also need to ask yourself if it is in your interest to register as self employed and take on board all the burdens that go along with this (high cotisations payable up front, insurance, tax professionelle, impots etc) You may well find that you are working just to pay your charges as the system in France is simply not set up to encourage this kind of self employment.

What you SHOULD be doing as a casual agricultural worker is using the system which is called TESA (Titre Emploi Simplifie Agricole) which is how French farmers can employ casual workers for seasonal harvesting etc. so there's no reason why English farmers in France can't use it as well. The system is administered by the MSA and basically puts the onus on the farmer (who SHOULD be affiliated to the MSA in any case) to deal with the issue of social charges etc. and not you. I really would advise you against registering as a self employed agricultural labourer even if you can find a way to do so. The farmers you are working for should shoulder the burden of your social responsibilites and if they don't they are just bypassing the system and looking for cheap labour. You might see this as a business opportunity but I think you're taking on a whole lot of expense and hassle for a young man with no real benefit to you.