beauty

uncle jules

I hope that someone will know more than me about this. I think that you may have to register with the Chambre des Metiers, like hairdressers, because you are classed as an artisan. I also believe that the French are a bit strict on this regarding the level of qualification and equivalence, may be tricky.

Chris

[quote user="vickybear"]Might be tricky....true, but BOY will you have a list of clients.   Good luck!!...much needed service![/quote]

I don't mean to be sarky but having spent the last couple of weeks compulsively reading hundreds and hundreds of messages the impression I get from a lot of the messages posted on the forum is that so straitened are circumstances for most people choosing to settle in France that such services as beauty treatments would be unaffordable luxuries.

[quote user="KathyC"]

Weliveinhope

Perhaps the original poster was planning to offer this service to the French as well as to the Brits; or hadn't you thought of that?

[/quote]

Indeed I had and should've mentioned that in the previous post - the abiding impression is that, in comparison to the UK, while the general quality of life is better in France for natives and blow-ins the disposable income available for such fripperies as beauty treament is not readily available.

[quote user="Russethouse"]. So provided the location was good, it could be very worth while.[/quote]

And of course provided the beauty therapist speaks fluent French....I can't imagine people having much faith in a therapist they can't communicate with.

[quote user="KathyC"]But what about the number of hairdressers everywhere, even in quite small villages? I've always assumed that having their hair done wasn't considered a luxury in the way it is in the UK. Perhaps I'm wrong?[/quote]

Jeez I dunno, KathyC being a male of the species I'm not probably not the best person to comment  - you're probably right.[:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Sophrologie seems to be the New Thing at the moment, almost as popular as new agences immobiliers.

Apparently it can make a new person of you.  Just like every other fad that's gone before!

Over 40 euros an hour for individual sessions, over 20 euros an hour for group sessions.  There's gold in them thar sophs.

Like everywhere else, France has affluent areas and less-affluent areas.  If you choose the right area, you could have the money rolling in.  Avoid Arab areas and common people who live in HLMs - oh I forgot, Brits in France already do!   [:D]

You can not catagorise all British people who have moved to France as people who no longer have any means and can not afford to indulge themselves.

I think you will find there are Brits out there who have researched their move to France a bit more fully and continue to have the means to live in a similar manner to which they did in the UK. Mind you they are not as likely to post regularly on forums stating how hard it is so I guess you are going to pick up on a lot of negativity.

My wife wishes she could find a hairdressers as good as she had in the Uk and the salon she went to there wasn't exactly a Tony & Guy establishment. If you are good at what you do and are prepared to travel and work hard then you could do Ok.

Why do people have the attitude that if they can't do it nobody can? Why do they think if they can't run a business then nobody can. If you wanted to start a business prior to relocating to France you should have researched it before hand and had enough common sense to realise that the French government were not going to change the rules to make it easier and less expensive for you.

The rules in France are the same for everyone, even French people have to pay cottisations and tax.

i am not rich,but would definately book up with an english speaking beautician for regular eyebrow waxing, the odd facial.....just as  i did in uk...but my french isn't up to going into a salon here...so am having to do it myself...saving the pennies...but , oh..how i would love to be pampered!!! if you can call waxing pamperingBlush [:$]...

I'm one of the people who point out that it costs the earth to live here - but I still get my eyelashes dyed!!  There is a travelling beautician here who seems very popular even in this very rural area and there are  beauty parlours in 3 local villages - plus our village of only 700 people has 2 hairdressers - so I think the beauty business is alive and well even in rural France.  However, would suspect that fairly good French will be required and from a conversation I had with the lady who runs the parlour I use they are pretty strict on qualifications.

Good luck - if I tell it like it is about business, it is only because I think this site is to enable people to do their homework not because I want people to fail.

By the way Tetley, go and get yourself made lovey (sure you are already).  Isabelle - our beautician - has quite a few customers who have little French and her English is only about 2 words, but she does fantastic mime!![:D]

Maggi

Know what you mean TU - last visit for a trim they decided that my blonde locks were a bit 'ordinaire' and desperately tried to persuade me that aubergine, tangerine, blackberry or some other vegetable colour would be more attractive.  Am now scared to return in case they do it and force me into a blue pinny with slippers as well.  Do you think original poster needs training in 'orange' before they will let her practice??

Maggi

[quote user="Craig"]

You can not catagorise all British people who have moved to France as people who no longer have any means and can not afford to indulge themselves.

I think you will find there are Brits out there who have researched their move to France a bit more fully and continue to have the means to live in a similar manner to which they did in the UK. Mind you they are not as likely to post regularly on forums stating how hard it is so I guess you are going to pick up on a lot of negativity.

Why do people have the attitude that if they can't do it nobody can? Why do they think if they can't run a business then nobody can. If you wanted to start a business prior to relocating to France you should have researched it before hand and had enough common sense to realise that the French government were not going to change the rules to make it easier and less expensive for you.

The rules in France are the same for everyone, even French people have to pay cottisations and tax.

[/quote]

You can say that again! The theme in relation to disposable income is pretty downbeat on here which leads me to assume that if you can't afford more than the occasional night out then regular trips to the beautician would be right out of the question.

Not sure if your final paragraph is aimed specifically at me but I'm not yet in France and certainly wouldn't move to France without having a source of income firmly fixed in place and the realities of what that income will get me firmly fixed in mind.

I am sure you wouldn't but there are many who have.

Nothing in my post was aimed at you at all. Moving to France is a lovely idea and can be a very rewarding way of living your life but it needs to be well thought out and from your post that is exactly what you are doing.

If you ever get to France you will find lots of people there already who have clearly not looked too deeply into what a move there would mean for them. Their hearts have took them to France without their heads having had much of a say in the matter. They then find themselves unable to sustain themselves there and then have to see assistance from the State to enable them to live there. When they lived in the Uk what would there thoughts have been of immigrants doing the exact same thing.

Others have came to France and found ways to make a living. They work hard and are not left with much to show for their labours and they too become very bitter and vocal about how impossible the whole situation is. You only have to read posts on the forum for a few hours and you should see what I mean. Unwarranted comments are regularly made toward people who are doing well or appear to be reasonably well off.

One example the other day was a poster who had got into trouble for taking their land rover discovery back to the UK. They also mentioned they had an E type jaguar, there were lot's of jibes about how much these vehicles cost or were worth, which had nothing at all to do with the original post but people felt the need to remark on it. These people may well have worked very hard for the things they have.

It is just a little sickening that a lot of people who post on this forum and others are so full of negativity. I believe that there are lots of members of this forum and others who have lots of relevant experience and something worthwhile to say but simply do not post in case they end up on the receiving end of someone elses bitterness.

If you do decide to move to France then the very best of luck.

All you have to do is watch one of the 'No Going Back' type programmes they have on Channel 4 all the time to realise that some people spend a couple of weeks holiday somewhere and then decide to sell up and move lock, stock and barrel to that place without ever having done a modicum of research and then are bewildered at how things have gone so horribly wrong. They don't seem to take any of the precautions they would take 'at home' when spending vast amounts of money.

There was a couple on one last week that had bought a house somewhere in Portugal. Without obtaining planning permission (they were told by the salesman in each case they didn't need it) they installed a pool and built a big log cabin on their plot only to find out that they did need planning permission and, having fallen out of love with the area after about 6 months. that they couldn't sell the house and land without it. 18 months later they found that they could get retrospective permission for the pool but the 25 grand log cabin had to go because they'd build it on a national park. And they were still whining about the Portuguese and not being able to get help - in effect they wanted to be treated as a special case. The presenter pointed out that if they did the same thing in the Lake District/Snowdonia they'd be given the same treatment.

I saw that [:D] I couldn't believe their attitude [:(] it was everybody's fault but theirs [;-)] I loved the presenters point about doing the same in the UK as well, the log house was supposed to be a changing room but they got " a bit carried away" ...... understatement of the century that one [:-))] it was bigger than the original house ! and the idea that they should be allowed to keep it..... so then everyone could say " well we didn't know, so we should be allowed to do what we want"

There was another doozie on last night.

The lady moved to Spain thinking she might get a job there (didn't think about researching it first), bought a first floor apartment with a garage underneath and being, she claimed, a sucessful property developer in England decided to convert the garage into an apartment to rent out.

She didn't check the market for rentals in the area nor did she check the planning regulations.

There was no market for apartments rentals in tha town, the ceilings in the coverted garage were too low (she thought the builders would've checked that out) and, oh yeah, she couldn't find a job.

So she had no job, had spent 25K on an apartment she couldn't let and even if she could let it was illegal and was now looking to sell for a full 48K more than she paid for the original property. It was valued at just 85K, 5K more than she originally paid for it despite her having spent another 25K on it. All because she did no research before going out and assumed thisngs were different, more lax, in Spain when it came to planning.

• 3 months later...