how do i sell handmade products?

Lhp

hi,

wondering if anyone has any experience of selling hand-made products.

i craft as a hobby and lots of people say how lovely my greetings cards and paperware products are and that i should try tosell them.

would i need to register, say if i wanted to go to market with them now and again?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you that I know someone who does this and she takes hers and sells them at Vide Greniers, with quite a lot of success!! So much so, in fact, that she was approached by someone from the nearest large town and offered a paid position teaching card-making to adults twice a week, plus card-making workshops for kids in the holidays!!! She turned it down because she doesn't speak French, even though they said it wasn't a problem, she didn't need to talk, just demonstrate!! Pay didn't seem too bad either, from what she gathered, it was around 11,50€/hour NET.

Chris

We had an English woman in our local markets making and selling similar things.  In addition a friend has also just looked into the whys and wherefores of working on this basis and has concluded - as the market trader did - that it's not worth doing.

You do have to register to be on the market, cotizations etc etc ......... 

Go for it:

My other half's french sister in law is registered as an 'artist' (don't know the exact term) and works part time in Leclerc.

She uses the vide greniers and markets - does pretty well. She makes picture frames and paints old milk pitchers and jugs.

I think Ebay is good for selling cards?

You really can get away with murder as far as what you actually declare to the tax man: and with the nature of setting up for yourself over here, that's not a bad thing!

Good Luck!

Absolutely correct in what you say however, you will still need the French equivalent of our "street traders licence" This would be available from the Chambre de Commerce at a cost of approx 30 Euros. I understand that it is obtainable before registration but after completeing the Stage course at the Chambre de Metieres. It also enables you (apparently) to trade at any market in France with no maximum limit to the number of days you want to go. It will also enable you to trade at the Fete de la Region and  the Fete de la musique that most villages and towns hold.

There is such a thing as metier d'artist which is specifically for artist types but the conditions are, as I understand it, that it can't be something useable i.e vase (cards?) only decorative such as paintings or statues. As artists apparently don't make a lot of money they have very good tax breaks.

I would certainly start off with the craft stuff at vide grenier or brocantes to test the waters as it were. See where it goes from there.

Isn't there a rule that you can do three or so markets a year without registering, or have I imagined that? I'd like to do a couple of craft markets before Christmas (as a hobby I make silver jewellery)... would I have to go through all the rigmarole and expense of registering as a trader and a business just to do a couple of markets?

Any advice gratefully received!

Carly