workers wanted..

montagrier

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be Benjamin, according to their web site they have been around 40 years and charge no VAT on top of their quoted prices because they are " 0% VAT(sic)  rated"  Is that odd?  I thought all registered buliders had to charge TVA at 5.5% at least, perhaps Val can enlighten us.

Firstly...micky P.. sorry I have not answered you... I am guessing you hit the email button on the bottom of my post ...sorry... it says on my other post that you should use the email on the web page... this email on here does not come through to me....Please email me again through the site.

As for alarm bells ...well some people spend to long on here..

As for the VAT... well we are registered and how we do this and stay within the law is our buisness. If anyone wants to report us to anyone.....go ahead.

Look foward to hearing from you Micky

Monti

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Could be Benjamin, according to their web site they have been around 40 years and charge no VAT on top of their quoted prices because they are " 0% VAT(sic)  rated"  Is that odd?  I thought all registered buliders had to charge TVA at 5.5% at least, perhaps Val can enlighten us.[/quote]

Ron Avery, shows how much you really do know?? We are registered! fact  We dont have to charge tva! fact  Not all builders are tva registered! fact  If you knew me or my partner then you would know how long we have been in the building trade! fact

What is odd is that people like you reply to postings and have nothing constructive to say! fact  I ran my business in the UK without having to register for VAT, didnt earn enough to but then again thats my business.

My advice to you and others like you, if you have something constructive to say then do so, otherwise shut the f--- up.

<<<I didn't know you were associates, Hughmandy and Montagrier, (same website sig) so this has been enlightening for me in one way.>>>

Me too. C'mon Hughmandy/Montagrier show us the plot! It's all sort of falling apart me thinks? Maybe both of you go through workers at such a rate that you have to advertise for them on the internet....dodgy or what?

Not replying to enquiries about workers they have 'advertised' for isn't brilliant practice, but I'm not convinced as to the full scale 'dodginess' allusions. I think we should be more circumspect, and wait to see what they have to say.

I'm mellow, you see.[:)]

I have something constructive to say, mick mandy, handy andy or whatever you are posting as today why use a UK builder in France who does not nudge nudge wink wink charge VAT , as any work they do cannot be offset against CGT if it is a second home, if the invoices do not show the appropriate rate of TVA paid. FACT

You also sound like the sort of builder, the people on here would flock to use because they could converse with you in a polite and normal way without being told to FUCK off every couple of minutes.

I suppose there are two possibilities where one could legally claim to offer building services with 0% VAT.

Firstly if one did nothing but renovation type work on older property or

Secondly if you you were small enough to operate as a micro enterprise for the odd bit of work here and there.

I'm feeling very charitable tonight.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

<<<I didn't know you were associates, Hughmandy and Montagrier, (same website sig) so this has been enlightening for me in one way.>>>

Me too. C'mon Hughmandy/Montagrier show us the plot! It's all sort of falling apart me thinks? Maybe both of you go through workers at such a rate that you have to advertise for them on the internet....dodgy or what?

[/quote]

Quite simple, nothing dodgy. We joined forces and have to date worked together, and only together, no-one else. The workload is increasing and we are looking to expand, both in workforce and tax regime. The current micro system used to suit, now it doesn't. I'm surprised at how quick people jump to conclusions here, then again perhaps not.

As to not knowing we we were associates, all i can say is you should read the postings and not look at them. 

Thank you all who posted for your undying trust and belief in your fellow man, a credit to the small minded attitude that brits have, slainte.

Hugh If you had posted that message before instead of telling people to shut the fuck up it would have been better don't you think?

What you failed to realise becaue you only looked at it, was that the original post about 0% VAT was in response to a toungue in cheek suggestion by Benjamin that this was a honeypot  set up by the French tax authorities to trap UK workers on the black, hence the reference to 0% VAT.

Many French builders in our area work a system where they open an account on your behalf at the local builder’s merchant and put everything they buy on it and then have the bill sent directly to you. They then only charge labour under the micro BIC system and providing they don't earn more than 78,000 Euro's a year it's not actually illegal but it could be said a nice bit of tax avoidance. By that I mean the idea of the Micro BIC is that the tax allowance the person gets is suppose to off set the value of the items (in this case materials) that they have to buy to do their job. Off course you don't have to register for TVA if you are working under a Micro BIC and providing they work only the two trades they are registered for and only do renovations it’s quite legal.

There have been far too many dodgy English builders around over the years and many a horror story as those of us who have been forum members for years will know. This makes everyone a bit sceptical which is why perhaps it’s best to be very open. If on the other hand hughmandy really think that Brits have a 'small minded attitude' perhaps they should consider not working for Brits but then I would suspect nearly 90% of their work would disappear.

I seem to remember quite a few years ago several UK companies were advertising VAT free (proper legal companies advertising on TV). What they actually meant was they discounted the costs such that the final bill paid by a client was as though there had been no VAT. Probably very different if working for a company as they could reclaim the VAT or whatever.

With the technique Quillan describes, presumable when the client effectively purchases all the materials they will always have to pay full TVA and will not manage to 5.5% where allowed ? Assuming this is the case sounds like a great technique for the builders but how well it works for the client presumably depends on the cost balance between labour and materials.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]I seem to remember quite a few years ago several UK companies were advertising VAT free (proper legal companies advertising on TV). What they actually meant was they discounted the costs such that the final bill paid by a client was as though there had been no VAT. Probably very different if working for a company as they could reclaim the VAT or whatever. With the technique Quillan describes, presumable when the client effectively purchases all the materials they will always have to pay full TVA and will not manage to 5.5% where allowed ? Assuming this is the case sounds like a great technique for the builders but how well it works for the client presumably depends on the cost balance between labour and materials. Ian[/quote]

I think some of the French companies do the same but there is something in French law that does not allow them to mislead like in the UK so they have to say they have discounted rather than being TVA free.

This particular company is obviously limited (plastering and carpentry as defined by their respective siret numbers) in what they can do so if its a new roof they obviously use a qualified roofer who can give a facture with TVA for the refund. Lets be honest TVA is paid somewhere along the line, just buying the materials means TVA is paid at the point of source. So if the client pays for the materials through this company or directly with the builders merchant it is paid. So this companies advert is missleading in that it's only the labour thats TVA free.

As someone else pointed out if they only renovate then there is no longer a reduced TVA rate (except for the roof I believe) so in a way its a bit pointless discussing that part. If they built new or did extensions then of course there are big TVA issues to address which is probably what they are doing as they said that they were moving away from a micro BIC so I guess they will end up TVA registered.

Micky P...do as I said on the other post... hit the web site and email me...

All this because I wanted to meet some other workers to help us out with a lot of work.

As for everybody else.....me personally I cant get involved in an arguement with people who mean nothing to me... I hope you all have a nice pleasant day... no sarcasum intended but you have to admit... if you were a worker and you answered the add as it said answer it...all would be OK...and on the other hand if you were not a worker and ignored the post as you should have done all would be OK too!!!

Some people say that too many people here in france get bored quickly and have too much time on their hands...

As I said, have a pleasant day..

Monti

Quillan - get a life. Why are you trying to make these guys look dodgy?

First, anyone who registers with the Chambre de Metiers knows that you can register for a whole string of trades, but only one (the top one on your list) finds it's way onto the SIRET checking website. So these guys are probably registered to do a whole shaft of different trades between them.

Secondly, many folks register as a Micro Entreprise first to "test the water". Once plenty of work comes in, it's easy to go up a step fiscally. Not so easy to come down though. When we have loads of work, we work with another guy who also has his own Micro Entreprise. Easier to do this than take on someone (with all the charges) then lay him off a few months later when the work has dried up a bit and it's all legit.

And as for tax avoidance..........! I s'pose you mean TVA avoidance? The TVA is paid in full when the goods are bought. Maybe the customer loses out a little by not being able to claim his TVA back if he's purchased the materials (the difference between 5,5 and 19.6%), but this is often well outweighed by no TVA on labour charges.

No, the person who is generally losing out is the builder who can't go up to next tax regime because he doesn't earn enough/hasn't enough work etc as he probably also can't afford an accountant either to work out all the tax offsets for him.

Good luck to these two - at least they are getting work in and offering legit employment to someone.

Quillan wrote: "As someone else pointed out if they only renovate then there is no longer a reduced TVA rate (except for the roof I believe) so in a way its a bit pointless discussing that part."

I thought the 5.5% TVA had continued for renovation work. Have I missed something for does renovation now come in at the full rate ?

Ian

I often find this forum treats people as though they have just entered the spanish inquisition.  Why do some posters have to know the ins and outs of everybody elses business.  Too much time on their hands!!!!

Am I genuine, am I a mole or am I the tax man.  Get a life folks and stop worrying about what everyone else is getting up to.