house build

It is my intention to begin building a house this summer and would like some advise on the following please. Is it essential that I open a french bank account to pay for materials and such or would there be no problem with paying cash. If I do need to open a  french account, Is the process any different to the UK and how long does it take?

thanks 

You will need an account sooner rather than later.the process for opening is quite different from UK banks, firstly the needed originals or certified copies of almost every document we had - birth certificate, divorce and marriage certificates, passport and so on. And copies of UK paperwork - our's is a holiday home, we still live in UK. Many of the banks allow you to open your account from the UK and have a dedicated english speaking division. Otherwise you can visit a branch in your local town. Process took about 8 weeks. From other posts, the bank we use seems to sometimes not be the best, but for us running it via the web and from the UK, it's been fine. Our main surprise was the charges - including for an ATM card to get cash out!! If you PM me, I'll tell you who we use and the website.

We opened ours with two passports;took about 10 minutes-it was just before they closed for lunch.By the time we got home 10 days later,there was a registered letter waiting for us with a cheque-book.Never had any charges.

• 1 month later...

Oscar - take everyone's word on it and open an a/c over here. Just like the UK, each has it's +'s and -'s.

Having done that, open an a/c with your local builder's merchant. They'll want a RIB (can't remember what it stands for, but its a slip of paper that you can print off confirming your bank details) and probably want to look you up and down to see if you're a decent looking bloke.  Really!

It just makes it a lot easier getting your materials - or having someone else getting them for you.

Best of luck - you'll need it.