Teaching

icmenuiserie

Hello Lisa,

As you are a bit short of replies, I thought I would answer you,  but I don't have much knowledge of how to enter the French system itself (through exam qualifications).  My only knowledge is about the private sector, as we have been running a small private school since 1993, with varying degrees of success!  With your qualifications and experience it is just a question of being in the right place at the right time if you want a job in the private sector (not as easy as it seems) and of course sending your CV to all likely places.   The Chambers of Commerce in most towns offer English courses and sometimes they actively look for native speakers, also there are private organisations which offer 'soutien scolaire' or help for children in difficulty, and again they are sometimes happy to have a native speaker (e.g. Acadomia, ForProf etc.)  An alternative is to register as a profession liberale (independent worker) and try to build up a business for yourself, through advertising etc.  - this involves paying a lot of social charges, so you need a 'cushion' of money to help you get started and another problem  is that you get a lot of private teaching 'on the black'.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Well one of my best friends (who is English) teaches English in about 9 primary schools here in the Vaucluse.  Laine - I might have mentioned her in our chats.  She started out with just one school in the town in which she lives, then that Director contacted a couple more schools and they took her on too.  Then, other schools nearby contacted her with interest.  It all has to be approved by the regional Ministry of Education EACH year, so she never knows how many schools she will get each year.  She speaks fluent French and has lived here for nearly 20 years, so she is well integrated.

I have to say that the pay is dismal and that is speaking kindly.  She loves the work, so she manages, but it isn't easy and she does qualify for a fair bit of French aid.

She is only about 13 kms from my village and we still have only a cassette tape to teach English in the primary school (pathetic).  When I asked the Director about this, he said they simply didn't have money in the budget to add an English teacher (the tape is accepted by the Ministry - sad but true).  They did say if she was willing to do it for free, they would be happy to have her..

Each area can be different.  You might be better off contacting some of the private schools.

The public primary sector is employing fewer intervenants now as it is cheaper to use their own staff to teach English. In order to teach in the public collège I believe you need a premier degré which can only be obtained in France and is very difficult - your French needs to be perfect too. Your best bet is to get into the private sector where there are numerous language schools in the big cities of France. If you live in a rural area, you could also consider doing lessons by phone which are increasing as they are a lot cheaper for companies than face to face lessons. Go through the pages jaunes and send off your cv to as many language schools as you can - that is how I started and I've never been short of work.