Expected salary for Child Minder

Hev&Jon

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of how much I could expect to earn per hour as a Child Minder in the Aveyron?

I have been offered a position with a family, I wouldn't be living with them but I would be looking after their two young children in their home.  I would also be expected to do some light housework and ironing.  Meals would be included if I was there at meal-times.

Also, does anybody know how seriously French employers take the minimum wage?  I've read in David Hampshire's 'Living and Working in France 2006' that the minimum wage is 7.61 Euros per hour.

Many thanks for any info.

Heather.

Assuming the parents pay you through the Chèque Emploi Service Universel (CESU)

you will  find some basic info here:

cesu.urssaf

The SMIC is revised every July and a lot of people are paid just that in France.

Your employers cannot pay you below the hourly SMIC rate (€7.02 net at present including 10% in lieu of holiday pay) and to be honest, are unlikely to pay much above...

If you take a holiday, you will not get paid, as the 10% included in the hourly rate takes care of that...

Still assuming they use CESU:

They may use pre financed CESU to employ you, where their employer (or other bodies) offers to pay for their child minding costs (in this instance, but it could be for other things too) up to a predetermined ceiling. In this case, any cost above the agreed ceiling would come out of their own pocket.

The employer fills in a monthly declaration, pays you according to the number of hours you've done and you receive a pay slip from the sort of centralised payment centre, which lists the contributions made on your behalf by your employer towards basic pension, health contributions and other things... You also pay towards the same but at a much lower percentage than your employer.

The advantage from an employer's point of view is that they do not have to worry about calculating contributions rates and other costs(it's all done for them based on the monthly declaration) and they can also apply some of the costs of employing against their annual tax bill. And of course, it's even cheaper for them if their employer pays towards that too...

There are two ways fro your employer to pay contributions on your behalf:

salaire réel: the contributions are based on what they actually pay you: this option is better for  the employee (you have a more extensive social cover), but not as attractive for the employer

salaire forfaitaire: the contributions are based on the SMIC and this option, although cheaper for the employer, only offers basic social cover to the employee.

At the end of the year, you get a salary recap from the payment centre, stating how much you must declare on your tax form.

I hope this makes sense! [:D]

Assuming payment via CESU (which is very likely), taken from http://www.cesu.urssaf.fr/cesweb/taux.jsp

SMIC, salaires minimaux

SMIC en vigueur au 01/07/2006

Base ForfaitaireBase du salaire réel
SMIC Horaire Net6.99 € *7.02 € *
Pour les départements du Haut-Rhin, Bas-Rhin et Moselle:

Base ForfaitaireBase du salaire réel
SMIC Horaire Net6.83 € *6.86 € *
SMIC Horaire Brut = 9.10 € *

* Ces montants incluent les 10% dus au titre des congés payés.

The "CESU employer" declares a net salary and this salary is what the employee actually gets paid.

Although this is slightly off-topic I found this page when checking the current SMIC (Val_2 beat me to the posting though and samdebretagne had said so earlier anyway) http://management.journaldunet.com/repere/smic.shtml

It gives information on minimum wage in European countries (and USA) and, although the latest figures are from 2005, I wouldn't imagine that the relative differences will have changed significantly. I think, however, we can see a big rise in the new EU states - Romania's minimum wage, for example, is currently given as less than one sixteenth of the SMIC in France.

Interestingly, the 2005 minimum wage in France and Britain is identical, though only 1.4% of Britain's working population received the minimum, against 15.6% in France. France's proportion of earners on the SMIC is second only to Luxembourg, which has a higher SMIC anyway. It is perhaps surprising how low the minimum wage is in Spain and Portugal - less than Greece. And the USA has a low minimum too, but perhaps that is not quite so surprising considering how the New Orleans floods etc highlighted the existence of an underclass.

Back on topic, the SMIC on cheque d'emploi appears lower anyway - this has been discused before. It seems to be because certain deductions are already accounted for, just as deductions are made from a regular employee.

Like a lot of second home owners who don't see why they should pay an artisan or a registered gardener a living wage too. A certain very large ferry company near to us was offering part time work last summer dealing with embarkation vehicles and they were only offering 6€/hour on the ANPE board, still if you pay peanuts you get monkeys