Family in France, husband works in UK

redlancer

Hiya all

Newbie here, apoologies if these questions are easily found and as i have a lot of questions realise this might need to be in more than one Forum

We're looking at living in France and ultamatly either run a buisness or find employment in France

But as none of us are fluent French and need to make a living the only way we can see to get the fluency and integrate ourselves and children (6&8yrs old) is for me to carry on working in the UK and my family move to France.

What are the Tax and registration implications on this, i'm in the 40% tax bracket in the UK?  Would i pay tax to both UK and France or just France or UK.  If i payed to just the UK what implications would this have on my family as they'll be in France for more than 66% of the time.  I'd be less than 33%.  What implications does it have with Health and Schooling

We have a home in the UK which is currently rented out but i look to sell this once the rentee leaves in 18months

thanks in advance

Graham

It's basically simple. You, as you are working in Britain, continue to pay tax and NI in Britain. Because you will be regarded as fiscally resident in France also, because your main home and/or family are there, you declare your worldwide income in France, and the tax you have paid in Britain will be offset against any French tax liability, so the most likely outcome is that you will pay no tax in France. Even so, it is important to make a tax declaration.

As far as health etc goes, you should be able to get an E form (E106 or E109) to cover your family. You would personally be covered by the UK health system, and should get an EHIC to cover you when in France.

For schools, your family will be treated as any other French resident.

It is quite simple...........it's exactly how it works for us. My husband commutes weekly to the UK, and my children and I have health care via an E106. He pays tax and NI contributions in the UK and we complete a French tax return, but do not pay any extra tax: this entitles us to tax credits on things such as wood-burning stoves etc, which are repaid in the form of a cheque.
We are also still entitled to claim UK child benefit.

Regards
Chris

[quote user="Chrisb"]

It is quite simple...........it's exactly how it works for us. My husband commutes weekly to the UK, and my children and I have health care via an E106. He pays tax and NI contributions in the UK and we complete a French tax return, but do not pay any extra tax: this entitles us to tax credits on things such as wood-burning stoves etc, which are repaid in the form of a cheque.
We are also still entitled to claim UK child benefit.

Regards
Chris

[/quote]

Chris

Thanks for that, child benifit I would never of thought.

Sounds like you've done what we plan too. 

Does E106 cover everyhing and long term?

Graham

Hello Graham

In our case, the E106 was valid for 5 years, and entitles us to join the French health care system, which re-imburses 66% of charges. We have a Mutuelle, or 'top-up' insurance to cover the majority of the rest. I presume that when the E106 expires, as long as our situation hasn't changed that we will be able to re-new it, but I won't know for sure until we try!
As far as Child Benefit is concerned, you just need to contact the Child Benefit Dept and they will send you a form to fill in - as long as you are working in the UK and paying Tax and NI, there should be no problem.

Regards

Chris