Qualifications

Keni

I have been running a small business in the UK for about 17 years now and I would like to open a small similar business in France. I have tried to find out my equivalent qualifications on the enarq site, but as I was given my SIA  and Dip-Ad in 1970, I do not think I can find the equivalent now. I think I will need them translated however, as I might be regarded as an Artisan - being a quilter and wanting to open a small quilting shop. Any thoughts anyone as to where I go for help for these translations. When I tried the site I was told I was spam and they could not help me!

Keni

[quote user="Keni"]

I have been running a small business in the UK for about 17 years now and I would like to open a small similar business in France. I have tried to find out my equivalent qualifications on the enarq site, but as I was given my SIA  and Dip-Ad in 1970, I do not think I can find the equivalent now. I think I will need them translated however, as I might be regarded as an Artisan - being a quilter and wanting to open a small quilting shop. Any thoughts anyone as to where I go for help for these translations. When I tried the site I was told I was spam and they could not help me!

Keni

[/quote]

You will be an Artisan-Commercant & will register with the Chambre de Commerce. Your qualifications will mean as much to the French as they do to me, so don't bother having them translated! Your 17 years of experience will be much more useful.

Be prepared for VERY hefty charges.

Keni

are you planning to sell supplies for quilting / fabrics/ rulers and other materials rather than selling quilts that you have made?

I have a French friend who owned a shop in the Charente-Maritime then moved to Brittany and opened another shop, she had them both for a while but the  last  I heard she had closed them both and I got the impression that the income was not huge. I know she used to go and trade at some of the large quilting events in France. She also bought a "longarm quilting machine" and quilted other peoples quilts.

Are you planning to be in Limoges? I gather from another friend who lives near there that there is a good fabric shop there already, still I am sure you have sussed out the competition.

Good Luck

Bonne Chance

[quote user="Just Katie "]Nick, seeing he is already set up in UK, could he not continue trading in France under a British registered company and avoid the hefty charges or am I missing something?[/quote]

Indeed you are - all the discussion on this and other boards that emphatically state that this is illegal!

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]The alternative is to 'return' to the UK to do the work, get paid in England, declare the UK income on a joint tax declaration and offset that against your French tax.[/quote]

How can one claim to be working in the UK if one has a shop in France? The double taxation treaty does not apply to social charges. Does anyone here actually pay any "income" tax? I don't!

this reflects the dream world that a lot of potential french residents live in. I dont pay income tax and the majority of my friends dont, simply because we dont earn enough.social security charges are the killer if you are self employed as you pay these even if you dont earn a euro.

I know people who have lived and worked on the black in france for five or six years and  also some who got caught out in a few weeks. the succesful ones however were all doing exactly the same thing in the uk!!

surely if you want to live in somebodys country for whatever reason it should be common sense to live by their rules and not to immediately try to evade the bits that you dont like?

Thank you for the interest - I must first point out that he is a she - sorry Keni is female - my hubby Chris is the bloke - confusing i know, so you can see how we struggle with everyone thinking I am the bloke.

I am making notes of the info you have given me - I know the Pays d'Ouest Limousin have a business start up thing for and I have e-mailed them for advice, but do not know what is on offer. In the uk I run a shop selling fabrics, knitting yarns, sewing and stuff like that. I am a DMC Main Agent (French Company) and buy from France at present. i would simply like to continue running said shop - we run knitting groups and quilting groups etc. I thought it might work over in France, one because I do speak some of the lanugage - and am at classes continuing to do so, and secondly, I thought with all the Brits around they might like to be able to purchase yarn, fabric and stuff like that. There does seem to be less on offer in our area.

So all help and advice is welcome.

Keni