Hopefully moving to France this year

stumpy

Hey, no problem Will, it's just me and a thing I have about, well, you know.

I haven't commented on the actual post but it certainly paints a picture of a place that I'm not familiar with. I do think that the 'Media' have an awful lot to answer for.

A fair number of people move here and really do find the lifestyle they are seeking. Others come with the idea that this is somehow a magic place where everything is wonderful, when, as anyone who has actually lived here for a few years, knows that couldn't be further from the truth.

That said, from our point of view, and taking things as a whole, we are still very happy here.

Demain est un autre jour.........................................[:)]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacrilegious stuff indeed!

Hope this journalist lies low because sheā€™ll soon be lynched by the French lifestyle mob and accused of hating the country. [:D]

I saw the Ridley Scott film a few weeks ago and it was totally unworthy of such a great director. Not surprised if some French (those who could be bothered to see it as it wasnā€™t popular in my local cinema) felt insulted by it.

For those who havenā€™t seen it,  itā€™s called ā€˜ā€™Une Grande Anneeā€™ in French.  I personally wouldnā€™t recommend it as I too found it terribly patronising and boring.

Firstly  i would like to say im not running from or to anything ,we were thinking of moveing before i got assulted .When we got the verdict of dont be a bad boy in future after breaking my leg ,that was the last straw .

Thanks for the info .

Wibbley im not completely sure i agree with you on most  things but i wasnt offended so thank's for sturing this thred a bit [;-)]

The rest who get all upsett take a chill pill and dont get so uptight ,its nearly summer [:)]

re. the film mentioned in the guardian article.........

I think it was based on another of Peter Mayle's books definitely not  "A year in Provence".

I think most people would have quickly realised it was pure fiction (fairly far fetched at times) and would not have come out of the cinema and immediately decided to buy in the S. of France on the strength of it. A light hearted film and good way to escape on a wet afternoon in January.

Bon courage Stumpy, don't listen to anyone on here, just sell up and get over to France, find a job, settle the family into school, enjoy the French lifestyle and let us know how you get on![:)]

[quote user="Cassis"]Does anyone know a French person who is not on medicaments of some sort?  [:D]
[/quote]

Apparently, there is quite a lot of special 'medicaments' washing up on the Charente-Maritime coast at the moment. So, any forumer walking around with powdery white fingers/noses, we know where you've all been.[:D]

[quote user="Will "]

Thanks Bugbear.

It was heartening to see, after the Telegraph nonsense promoting the so-called French lifestyle over the weekend (not connected at all with the Vive la France exhibition, I am sure), that today somebody in the media is prepared to ruffle the feathers just a little:

http://www.guardianabroad.co.uk/lifestyle/article/210

[/quote]

It's not awfully well written, (to be frank I'd say it was dreadful, but that's just an opinion) but I'd call it roughly fair. What did the Telegraph say over the weekend? Is it online somewhere?

[quote user="Will "]

Oh, it wasn't that bad. For pure unimaginative journalism - recycling any of the articles about Dordogneshire written in the last n years - try these:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml;jsessionid=4Q4NZPK4KXEY5QFIQMGCFFOAVCBQUIV0?xml=/travel/2007/01/20/etfrance20.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2007/01/22/wfra22.xml

[/quote]

Hmm. Yes. Oh dear. In comparison the Grauniad article was written by Oscar Wilde. Still, there is middle ground between the sickly sweet and the doom & gloom and I'm sitting in it. [:)]

[quote user="Will "]

Thanks Bugbear.

It was heartening to see, after the Telegraph nonsense promoting the so-called French lifestyle over the weekend (not connected at all with the Vive la France exhibition, I am sure), that today somebody in the media is prepared to ruffle the feathers just a little:

http://www.guardianabroad.co.uk/lifestyle/article/210

[/quote]

Isn't the author of this piece the same lady who writes Le Dernier Mot for LF ?