Why do you stay in France?

Rose

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Russethouse"]I don't think TU has a particular problem with France, my bet is that when she finds things odd, or against her idea of what is sensible she rails against it whether it was in France, England or Timbuktu.[/quote]

That's my impression Gay, but the funny thing is that TU hardly ever genuinely 'rails'.

When she does it is a sight to see, but it isn't how I 'see' her. Not at all.

Twinks, I was being gentle. I feel sorry for anyone who feels like that.

Hastobe, how you misunderstand me. Yes, I râle about things french, sacre bleu, everyone does (I mean the french), how can I avoid it, being a well integrated individual. And I do know what is good about France, ofcourse I do. I am highly amused when I see comments about me that are so way off mark, if anyone thinks I am a bitter and  miserable, how wrong you are.

I am not shy about expressing an opinion though, and will, as has been said, have something to say about anywhere I am, especially  if there is something that is not right and sometimes if it is right as I'm not too shy to compliment either.

[quote user="montagrier"] Its the fact that England is such a crap place to live...
[/quote]

No it's not.   Just like France, it depends what you're looking for.

The live music scene in the south of England is phenomenal, I could do music every night of the week.   There are sessions in pubs, there are concerts, dances, get-togethers, it's wonderful.   And yes, the people are friendly!  [:)]

And I really, really miss that music scene thing in France.   I could live without wine, I could live without tartiflette, but it's sad to live without all that music.  [:(]

Blimey...I agree with Rumzigal. I too miss the music, we get live music very rarely here........aah....the Barley Mow in Shepperton on a saturday night[:D]

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

Around the areas we have been, the Charente and Haute Vienne, there seems to be a lot of live music - both in the market squares and in the village halls. We have attended Halloween Parties, live bands, general parties - mostly French hosted, and all seems to be swinging. And, then winter hits. Time stands still it appears from early January to March/April, and off it goes again. I seem to attend more social dos' in France that England, and they seem to involve the whole area - not just a small group. I too remember the Barley Mow - also many others around Wimbledon through to Chertsey -I think I remember seeing the Wild Angels in Richmond once, and I know I just had Torque palying at our daughters' 18th last week - still deaf from that though.

Keni (female)

It's interesting (really, it is! [:)] ).   I had an American friend to visit last September, and there just happened to be the AGM of the Foyer des Jeunes that week (known elsewhere as MJC or similar).   And yes, they had a live band, and people danced to it, and they all welcomed her, and she left with an extremely positive view of France.   I agree absolutely that it was a lovely evening, we all ate round the big wooden trestle tables and all that, and did Parent Dancing after to the vaguely South American type music.

BUT (and I'm sorry there has to be one) that was the last live music (and last social event at all!) in our village of 2000 souls on the edge of Greater Montpellier.   Mostly, live bands just belt out pop songs (you know, like that well-known Pink Floyd number "Rubber Brick in the Wall") and people drink a lot. 

I don't know.  [8-)]   But I've been out every night for the last 8 nights in Englandshire, this is my first night in.   Deliberately so, to recharge my batteries!  [:)]   You know the best thing - they let me play my violin in public in Englandshire, how good is that!  [:)]

I think I just play the wrong instrument for the south of France.  Maybe I should take up the accordion......

I know the village in France said in 2005 that it was the last Mechquie (can't spell that one pronounced mechwe), as all the old comrades were too old now - but that did not stop them holding another one in 2006!

The New Year do in the Poly Salle was going on all night - I know that Montbron have some great 'dos' (is that a do + s' or do+'s?), and around our area fiddles, accordions and more go well. If you are in Upton on Severn in the UK around July they have the Jazz event but I think the Folk and Ceileidh weekend is before that - loads of fiddles there - all the music type as well!

Never set eyes on a Mechky thingy.   Never had a New Year do in any salle.  [:(]  

I went to a little concert in Dorset the other night though.   It was funny.  Everyone else was over 60, there was a lot of mad hair going on, as well as dodgy anoraks and polyester jumpers.   I swear it was just like being back in France!  [:)]   

Except that at the break we had tea and biscuits.  Brilliant!!