Decanel

margie

As far as I know, painting and decorating doesn't have to be guaranteed but most building works do. Decennale is more expensive for some works, i.e. couveture, than others, i.e.carrolage

This may help with what works have to be covered:

http://www.conseils-infos-batiment.fr/garanties/decennale.php

Just had a look at our paperwork and the only painting that has to be covered is not the domestic type. The more trades you carry out,the more you pay - we are general builders and pay over 4000€/year with 12 years no claims.

Well the deçennale is obligatory for anyone working inthe building industries as it is the ten year guarantee part and Civile is the public liability. I have just read our policy and it does state it it a legal requirement in France by articles 1792 and 1792-2 of the Code Civil but  again if anyone chooses an artisan without this insurance then they have no comeback whatsoever if anything goes wrong, there is serious damage or injury etc.

If you are insuring a general building company you will find some trades are included in others so it is not clear from the cover note what the full cover is. For example our plasterboard work is covered under the 'pose menuiserie' section, but if you only did plasterboarding you would have to insure this seperately. I imagine it works a little differently depending on the insurance company. As my agent also points out the decennale is for the Artisans benefit but is a legal requirement. It would normally be the Artisan who makes the claim and probably only in the case of a major defect. Obviously the insurance is still in place for 10 years but, realistically, in a lot of cases, it would hard to show that the defect had been caused by bad workmanship ten years previously. The cover is also different during the course of the works, but again this varies from company to company. In some cases, if we are working on a roof renovation the house owners insurance is in effect suspended and if any storm damage occurs during the works our decennale would cover it.