Starting a Mobile Dog Grooming Business

David & Janet

My sons partner  has just returned from UK after training in dog grooming and wishes to start up a mobile dog grooming service here in the Dordogne.  We have read all the books!!! and are now very confussed [8-)]as to which tax to apply to pay under the micro enterpise, we think you can choose out of two, we cannot understand why there is a choice and see no obvious reason either.    Obviously  she wants to go for the cheapest option and also be legal, would we get help from the tax office if we went to get advice, or would this just confuse issues even more?

We realise that she must register with the Chamber of Commerce to get a siret number, and she already has an appointment with the mayor in Neuvic.  Being unemployed here for 3 years she really wants to make this work, especially as they want to get married soon.  Also relating to the unemployed bit, i have read somewhere that the unemployed can get help to set up a business, and also to get free financial advice, did anyone else read it? 

Many thanks

Janet

Dog grooming business

I endorse the advice about seeing your local Chamber of Commerce as they are a mine of information, but just a couple of points that might help.

There are a limited number of schemes to help the registered unemployed (as Nick says in his reply) and this means being formally registered with ANPE. If your daughter in law has not registered it may be worthwhile to do so and await any 'qualifying' period for grants etc as starting without THEM can be quite onerous in terms of social contributions ('cotisations') rather than tax. There is for example a scheme called ACCRE if you look at my reply regarding this in another post in this section, which requires that you have been registered unemployed for at least 6 months within the last 18.

There are also other schemes which the Chamber of Commerce will explain, plus in some area tax concessions if you are in a region in need of economic development.

I hope this information helps,

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC

Janet

If you want, there is also plenty of information on line - try http://www.apce.com/index.php for starters. All the information about the tax regimes and aid for starting up is there.

Personally, I think it sounds like a good idea. A lot of people around here around here are dog mad. Not being one myself, I am not sure if this extends to grooming or not. There also seems to quite a few businesses already in the larger towns and villages so targeting the smaller villages and people in the sticks might be a good attack.

Danny

Hi

Get in touch with Perigord Developpement at the Chambre de Commerce in Perigueux.  They are set up to help UK nationals set up businesses in the Dordogne.  Speak to Alex Thevenet as she speaks fluent english.  She will put you right with what help you can get etc.

Gail xx

Many thanks for info so far.  Yes she is registered with the ANPE and also Assedic, and is officially "en stage" in the UK for the course she has just completed for the Dog Grooming, (it was cheaper to do it there!!!)  So she should qualify for the ACCRE.  [:)]

Think it should be Chamber of Commerce now, to get the advice, thank you for the contact name Gail.[:D]

Will leave the visit to the tax office out, as i thought, it may muddy the waters a bit.[8-)]

Also thanks to Danny for the positive input as to the Mobile set up for the Dog Grooming, we have reserched it a bit and found the large distance between the parlours in the bigger towns and villages, therefore a gap [;-)]in the market! 

I hope to get a web site up and running for her linked to mine for our gite (yes another gite! 2 years and only 2 bookings, good job we don't depend on it for income!) as soon as i can. All in all we do feel very positive, and all info is very much appreciated.

Janet

www.dordogne-gites-lesherissons.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i would just thank everyone who has been in contact, and also let everyone know that the whole process of setting up Claires Dog Grooming, has not been as painfull as we first anticipated.  The advice given on the original posting was very helpfull, and although it is slow progress, for someone so keen to get started, Claire hopes to be ready to trade from mid June.

Thank you all again,

Regards

Janet