Help

frank

We  have lived here for 3 years frugally on our savings. At the beginning of the year we decided to start our own small business after realising we could not gain employment here. We registered and have really stuggled for the last 3 months, just paid out and no revenue as yet and all cotisations are due. We have just been turned down for RMI, all bills are mounting up and I am pregnant. We have filled in our tax return for 2005 NIL.If we de-register do we still have to pay costisations, is there anyone who can help advise. Please note, we have never had hand outs and were embarrassed to even ask for RMI, we just need to know how we can stop this spiralling out of control.

Sorry to hear of your problems - we have been in a similar position and we turned to the 'assistant sociale' - I think there is one in every village.  If you explain your position I'm sure they will try to help you - it's a pity about the RMI, but there are other payments that you may be able to claim (especially being pregnant) CAF is another organisation that might be able to help you.  As regards the cotisations, if you don't have the money they can't make you pay!  Write very grovelling letters to them and explain that you want to pay but you can't - throw yoursleves on their mercy and you might be surprised.

Don't be embarrassed to ask for help - everybody needs it sometimes.  Good luck.

Regards,

Laine

You are not alone in being in this situation!

However, if you do nothing else, talk to URSSAF, RMI or whoever - they can get blood out of a stone - and will. BUT, if your 2006 were below a certain level, as you imply they are, then you are entitled to pay minimum cotistations of about 300€ for 2007.

An Assistante Sociale may be able to help you with benefits, but nothing beats an accountant, or failing that the Chambre de Commerce/Metiers to sort out cotistations.

I would also suggest that you speak to the appropriate "chambre" to try to establish why your business isn't succeeding - their advice is good and usually free.

Also speak to ASSEDIC and ANPE about claiming (if you have apid any of your cotistations, you may be entitled to assistance through them).

thank you both for your kind replies.Not only are we embarrassed but scared of peoples reactions towards our situation. We will keep trying to keep afloat,and calm for the sake of sanity.

I was in a similar situation last year and again this year because my business has made very little money.  When I got the first demand last year I immediately wrote to URSSAF and told them that my income was very low and what I expected to make during the year.  They immediatley sent me a revised bill for Nil.  At the end of the year there were a few things I had to pay which were obligatory but this was a very small amount. 

This year is the same and I have written again and am waiting to hear whether or not I have to pay.  My income is much less than the cotisation demand.

I think that it evens out in the 3rd year.  If I had paid the first 2 years demands without query then in the 3rd year I would get a rebate for the overpayment.  I would also have been destitute by then!

Dont worry about claiming, once your business is successful have no doubt that you will repay it, and then some.

It is so scary when you have a new business and are trying to get on your feet and the first thing that happens is they send you a massive bill.  They expect you to hit the ground running I suppose.

Gail xx

You are not alone in struggling here with business charges etc. EVERYONE I know whether french or foreigner is struggling and this is the problem with the french economy currently, hence we are all hoping a new president will bring in sweeping changes for small businesses because quite honestly things can only get worse with the state of the french system currently. Don't be fooled that if you have no money you don't pay any charges, I can tell you that your bank account and every one you have in France will be blocked until you do pay up and any official body can gain access to do this legally. Just remember there are thousands and thousands like you here hoping for some change. I know a lady huissier personally locally and she has confirmed that she has never had so many folks being taken to tribunal for late or non-payments and the problem is the interest just mounts up and up.

Sorry,

but you will not qualify for unemployment payments from Assedic, because you've been self employed not employed. ANPE don't pay anything to anybody, they're something like the French equivalent of our Jobmarkets, but not quite.....being French!

The Assistante Sociale is the way to go, other than that draft letters to all the organismes demanding money from you, but be aware you will have to pay some of them something. Being skint doesn't wash with these people.

I closed my business and was still paying off my retrait 18 months later.

Good luck, and do visit your assistante sociale. 

Aly

I agree with Chris on this. 

I cannot be of any practical help either.  I resigned from a very lucrative job 20 years ago.  Fine, it was our choice.  However, when I returned to my old job of looking after horses, I broke my leg and couldn't work for a year.  It was a tough time.  But we got through it.  We are both still here and we are healthy and happy.  It will be, and already is no doubt, very tough for you.  But you have one another - that was the best thing about my situation - knowing that we were in it together and that we knew how to take care of each other.  Keep hold of that.

There's practical help out there.  Others have been where you are and survived.  You will too.

thank you all so much, and much thanks to Chris, sometimes you need someone to point out the important things, we do have a wonderful relationship and we are over the moon about the baby.I will try to stay positive and sort this out,xxxx

Just a thought, as I don't know what type of business you've been running and if you've got the time but if the business is quiet why not one of you try for some temp work to get you through. 

I don't know the legal ins and outs but if one of you was 'temporarily employed' that may put you in the system or so I believe. May be worth a try.

Wishing you all the very best,

Lynpy