Shall We Shant We?

Lee & Elin

My husband and I are very keen to move over to France with our two three year olds.  The Limousin region preferably.  My mum and two sisters are currently over there.   They have settled well.  We have been over for holidays since my sister moved over 12 years ago and love it.  Luckily her husband is a builder and the other soon to become a farmer.  Mum and dad are retired but live on a farm.  We are very anxious mainly if we could survive on his army pension alone to begin with.  (Will it be taxed, it's not in the UK)  He is a chef and we have a few ideas for him to top up his income with the help of myself also.    We wouldn't need a mortgage, and we also have the option to live rent free for a year in one of my parents houses.   Also when is the best time for the children?, sooner the better I would say? Can they really start school at 4 years old.   The main reasons for moving are for the children, we want a different upbringing for them. Quality of life for all. Better weather, apart from the winter. Less traffic on the road, good food,wine, chicken, goats in the garden, bilingual children, Sod it! House is going on the market!!Are we dreaming or can it be reality?

You will not be suprised just how often this question is asked. If you do a search, you will find vast amounts of info!

Do you want me to be blunt? I'll assume that you do...

a) If you (all of you, kids included) are not 100% behind this scheme, then I will guarantee that it won't work.

b) You need enough money to survive for at least 2 years. Can you live on his pension? With or without a mortgage, France is no cheaper than most of the UK (and alot more expensive - such as transport - in some areas).

c) Refer to b). If your or his skills are not transferrable, and don't assume that they are, then you will not make a living.

d) I know plenty of people who have been forced back to the UK. Usually they are below retirement age and cannot make a living.

e) Don't believe anyone who tells you your kids will be bilingual in 6 months - it simply ain't true.

f) Goats are a real pain in the arse.

g) Traffic consists mainly of 30mph "sans permis" vehicles driven by drunks & dead people.

h) Kids normally start school at 2 1/2. A 4-year old starter would be considered "old".

Move here? I wouldn't do so again - however, we are quite happy and settled here. Mark you, we struggle to make ends meet running 4 businesses & have never worked so hard as we do now.

Think carefully, then think some more.

army pension alone to begin with.  (Will it be taxed, it's not in the UK)

His Army pension IS taxed in the UK and always will be. He may pay no tax on it as it may be below the personal allowance, but i is classed as taxed in the UK and will not be taxed here in France.

[quote user="Bob T"] army pension alone to begin with.  (Will it be taxed, it's not in the UK)

His Army pension IS taxed in the UK and always will be. He may pay no tax on it as it may be below the personal allowance, but i is classed as taxed in the UK and will not be taxed here in France.

[/quote]

I sort of got the impression from how the quote was worded that the army pension may not be British Army!!!!

Pension is not taxed becaused he was medically discharged, it is index linked also.  Will have to get confirmation on whether it will get taxed over there as I believe it could be a substantial amount if it worked out to be, correct me if I'm wrong.   Children are young enough to adapt.  Husband and I are extremely enthusiastic.  OK we'll forget the goats for now,  thanks for your advice.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="cooperlola"]Good decision making re the goats. Pains in the b*m springs to mind![:-))][/quote]

Goats are great, especially "old English" variety. Lets hear it for the goats!!!!!!!!![:)]
[/quote]

Im with Powerdesal here I loved having goats, you just need to know how to handle  them they make great pets and give the best milk and keep the lawn mown plus keep away any unwanted guest. Perfect pets [:)] 

as your husband's  pension is a Government pension any tax due must be paid at source in the UK. you would need to declare the pension and any tax paid on a french tax return , although you will not be taxed on the military pension here as well.  

as your family are here already, they would obviously be a great help and support to you when settling here. personally, i wish that we had rented in france first prior to buying , to ensure that i was actually prepared for life in rural france. it can be very isolating if you do not speak good french.

So my advice would be to rent first, and make sure that you can afford to live here, as has been said before the cost of living is not really cheaper than the UK. apart from the wine of course!  

good luck.  

[quote user="Pads"]

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="cooperlola"]Good decision making re the goats. Pains in the b*m springs to mind![:-))][/quote]

Goats are great, especially "old English" variety. Lets hear it for the goats!!!!!!!!![:)]
[/quote]

Im with Powerdesal here I loved having goats, you just need to know how to handle  them they make great pets and give the best milk and keep the lawn mown plus keep away any unwanted guest. Perfect pets [:)] 

[/quote]To lawn, add flower beds, and anything else that looks even vaguely edible! (Plus don't forget that they can't live out at night in the cold, also they need worming, they have to have their feet trimmed regularly etc etc...) But they are quite friendly and generally affable.

Actually our goast eat just about anything except the grass in their paddock, although they'll try it if they can reach through the fence? they prefer tfruit tree leaves, brambl leaves etc.

Seriously answering your question - if you thing you could live on the army pension in the UK, if you didn't have a mortgage / rent to pay - then you can probably live on it over here. I'd ask your family about work availability if you're planning on moving close to them - but usually you need good language skills, recognized qualifications and alot of luck.

We move in January after several years of planning and while there have been challenges we love it, & like your family we seem to have started something with a number of other members of the family now seriously considering their options.

Good Luck

An english lady moved in near us 3 years ago.  She had no mortgate but no money beyond a bit of capital left over from the sale of her UK home.  She spoke no French but had a TEFL (teaching English as a Foreign Language) qualification.  She studied French on her own for three hours a day (very disciplined!) for the first year and has spent the next two at various classes (some paid for, some provided by the state here), and is now doing 30 hours of French study a week.  She had just managed to get herself 4 hours a week teaching work and the capital is now running out.  Over the last year, she has come seriously close to returning to the UK, at least for half the year to do some supply teaching.  Happily it has not yet come to that but it still might.  Food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="nicktrollope"]

You will not be suprised just how often this question is asked. If you do a search, you will find vast amounts of info!

Do you want me to be blunt? I'll assume that you do...

a) If you (all of you, kids included) are not 100% behind this scheme, then I will guarantee that it won't work.

b) You need enough money to survive for at least 2 years. Can you live on his pension? With or without a mortgage, France is no cheaper than most of the UK (and alot more expensive - such as transport - in some areas).

c) Refer to b). If your or his skills are not transferrable, and don't assume that they are, then you will not make a living.

d) I know plenty of people who have been forced back to the UK. Usually they are below retirement age and cannot make a living.

e) Don't believe anyone who tells you your kids will be bilingual in 6 months - it simply ain't true.

f) Goats are a real pain in the arse.

g) Traffic consists mainly of 30mph "sans permis" vehicles driven by drunks & dead people.

h) Kids normally start school at 2 1/2. A 4-year old starter would be considered "old".

Move here? I wouldn't do so again - however, we are quite happy and settled here. Mark you, we struggle to make ends meet running 4 businesses & have never worked so hard as we do now.

Think carefully, then think some more.

[/quote]