Nursing in France

luna

Concerning your work as a nurse:

Assuming your nursing diploma was obtained in an EU country, it is recognised in France.

You should contact the DDASS (Direction Des Affaires Sanitaires et Sociales) in the departement where you wish to practice.

You should provide a copy of your passport, a copy of your diploma, a certificate from the authorities who delivered your diploma confirming that your training conforms to EU standards and a translation for those papers which are in a foreign language.

Concerning your language skills: they are going to be indispensable to work in France, whatever your chosen occupation. Work on them.

Luna, you must realise that a very good command of French would be essential for working in the medical field in France. I worked in various roles in the NHS in the UK but would never consider trying to work over here (even if I could get a job) as my French is far from perfect and the potential for serious problems caused by not understand the language (including medical terminology) seems frighteningly irresponsible. 

[quote user="luna"]I have spoken to quite a few people and was told that they are also looking for english speaking nurses. Of course there is no way I would compromise safety of patients!![/quote]

Yes............nurses who speak English not English nurses who can't speak French. [:D]

Unfortunately I am no longer in France and cant ask them. Thought some people might be able to help. Oh well, i shall persevere with my French!! I am getting there its just hard to find places that teach medical terms in French!!!

The medical terms you will learn very easily on the job, most medications use the chemical name, what you will need before starting work is to be able to comprehend and converse at a good level, to be able to explain in French what it is you want to say using other synonyms and descriptions. and also to confirm in the same manner that you have correctly interpreted what has been said to you by staff or patients.

In some ways it would be easier to learn chinese as there are many familiar words in french that have a differnt meaning to the same word in english, it is very very easy to misunderstand or misinform which could be very dangerous in a hospital, you would not have the same problem in mandarin!

After spending 3 weeks as a patient in a French hospital I can assure you that it is not the medical terms that will hold you back it is being able to converse, express yourself and critically understand what is being said to you.

I have registered as an occupational therapist here in France and have managed to pick up only temporary contracts to cover holiday periods - it really is difficult to get a long term contract or CDI, for me anyway.   I converse well in French and was able to treat my 'patients', communicate with them and colleagues to convey all the necessary information on the ward, in the rehab unit or at the weekly multi-disiciplinary meetings, etc.  I am sure that you will as well, especially if you manage to have a placement or two beforehand.

One of the biggest difficulties that I found, initially, was using the different information systems, a placement or two should prepare you for this.  If you registered as a 'jobseeker' with the unemployment office (ANPE) you could then request a placement from any clinic/hospital/carehome, then the setting, and you, will be covered by the the insurance of the ANPE.  The placement can be up to two weeks long and is known as the 'evaluation en millieu de travail' or EMT. 

Perhaps instead of going straight into an hospital or emergency setting you could find work at a 'nursing home' or perhaps better still for your particular profession, in a rehabilitation unit (the nursing staff seem less pressured in the rehab). 

Clair was spot on about contacting the DDASS to register your qualifications here in France, you will not be able to practice without it.  Contact them and get them to give you a print out of all the neccessary steps required to achieve French state registeration.  This will involve some expense to have all your information translated by a 'traducteur assermente' - count on 300-500euros depending on the amount of quaifications and papers involved.  Otherwise it is relatively straighforward.

I have found most French health professionals to be friendly and helpful, have you had any informal visits to speak with your French colleagues? I think that they may be able to offer you advice and insights into the work, who to speak to where to apply, etc.

Obviously continue to work on your French

Best wishes