can i be a workaholic in france?

jonnifer

I'll be moving to Paris in February to meet up with my French husband who will be there. Even though he'll have a good job, I'm nervous about not being able to make it -- I have no idea what kind of job I can get, if I'll be able to make good money, if I'll be yet another victim of the high chomage, etc. My plan was to take advantage of my free time by having a regular full time job during the day and a part time job a few evenings a week, like as a waitress. That way I could feel more relaxed if a I don't get a great (or any) FT job right away and also get exposed to a new experience and different people as I adjust to my new city. I already have a FT/PT situation in the US so I'm used to being a workaholic. But I told my husband about my plan and he said he's not sure if I'll be able, as in allowed, to work two jobs, that maybe there are limits or it's regulated to help spread employment around. Does anyone know about this? Also, if you work in a resto or a bar do you automatically make SMIC (min. wage) or are there ways/places that might pay more?

Someone else might know for sure, but I'm not convinced that you will be allowed to have a full-time & part-time job, though maybe things have changed since Sarko became president.   Another thing you need to know is that 99% of part-time jobs don't offer the same kind of flexibility that you find in the US.  There is really no changing of shifts, and one day working at XX time and another day working at YY time.  You work the same shifts week in and week out.

And honestly, the first thing that came to mind after reading that is that there is really no incentive for you to even do that - the more money you make, the more taxes you will have to pay on it.  And if you say your husband has a good job already, you have two jobs might push you guys into a higher tax bracket, which can be a big hit to the pocketbook.

Also, lastly, you don't say how good your French is, but that will be an important factor in you finding a job if you want to do something besides teaching English.

If you get a full tme job your contract will state that you cannot work for anyone else while under contract to your employer.

As Sam de B, says, you would end up paying extra tax as well.  Most employers here have a stinking attitude to their staff in that they can and will say whatever they like to you and you will just have to put up with it. Most  jobs in my part of France are paid SMIC, even skilled tradesmen earn it. Things are rumoured to be better in Paris though, because of the higher cost of living.

I always had 2 jobs in the UK, but to be honest I couldn't put up with two French bosses. My boss is great as things here go, but I wouldn't want another one as well!

Good luck,Aly

From what I've been reading having two jobs is allowed but is subject to all sorts of limitations. Most notably, civil servants (fonctionnaires) cannot take on another job and in all you can't work more than 10 hours a day or 48 hours a week! That really puts a crimp in a workaholic's lifestyle. Not sure how the 10 hours a day could be enforced if you don't have a clock in-clock out type of job. Your two jobs also must not present a conflict of interest (the "clause de non-concurrence" in the job contract). There is some complication I haven't looked into yet where the two employers share paying your cotisations. I find it weird and restrictive that the two employers have to coordinate with each other because it means that to some extent you need their cooperation/consent to have the two jobs. And if working two jobs isn't very common, which it sounds like it's not, then I could see them balking at it.

Being able to work more than 35 hours (tax-free, no less!) is great -- I wonder how often the opportunity arises?

Sites (in French) below or Google "cumul d'emplois":

http://www.travail.gouv.fr/informations-pratiques/fiches-pratiques/contrats-travail/cumul-emplois-984.html

http://www.travail-solidarite.gouv.fr/informations-pratiques/fiches-pratiques/duree-du-travail/duree-legale-du-travail-1013.html

http://www.murielle-cahen.com/p_cumul_emploi.asp