Running Activity holidays

busybee

Hi,

I have just joined this interesting forum, but haven't found anything yet that answers my specific questions.

Am rather confused by all I have read so far about running a business in France and looking for clarification.

We are proposing to run residential courses, such as painting or photography.

1. Is it necessary to both register as a business and also register as an artist? I can't figure out whether the business registration encompasses all the activities within it or not.

2. Can  we supply accommodation and meals without having to also register as a chambre d'hote?  We don't intened to operate as a chambre d'hote, but that's the only thing I've been able to find about supplying meals. Are there any other regulations I should know about in this regard?

3. If my husband does the teaching and I provide the meals, do we have to create a SARL, or can I be a collaborateur conjoint to an EI or EURL?

We will be talking to the local mairie and chamber of commerce about this, and also an accountant, but I would really appreciate any guidance that you may be able to offer from your experience before I go and put my foot in it!...

Thanks so much

busybee

Welcome. I'll give this one a go, although there are those who are better qualified...

I reckon that, and assuming that this is your primary source of income, then you will primarily be a chambre d'hote and you (between you) mmust register as such. As an art "teacher" I don't think that you can claim to be an artist (with all the associated benefits), as the regs are very strict (must have exhibitions, sell so much work, etc etc).

CdH are limited to 5 letting rooms, after that you are a Hotel or Auberge or similar with all the associated bearocratic bruhaha. You can provide meals, but only to guests and you can't sell booze unless you get a licence (class III?), Speak to your local Douanes regarding this.

You can use whatever structure you like for the business. I would be guided by my accountant. As the conjoint to an EI (you can't be conjoint to an EURL), you would not be allowed to do any of the actual work of the business, other than paperwork. I doubt if this would suit you.

You have made the correct first descision in talking to an accountant and the Ch de Comm!

Thanks for your response Nick.

The problem I foresee if we set up as a chambre d'hote, is that we will be limited to that aspect of the business, and will not be able to work as an artist or photographer in addition. I can see that there are a number of other people running residential

courses and activity holidays over here in one form or another, but it

is impossible to tell how they have set up their business structure (if

indeed they have...) - so if anyone else is actually doing this I would love to hear from them.

Can you clarify, if we set up a SARL or EURL, can we define the business to include providing residential courses AND photography, graphic design etc.?

I did think that as a conjoint collabarateur that you could do the work, but wouldn't get paid for it, so thanks for that clarification.

Regards,

busybee

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]
You can use whatever structure you like for the business. I would be guided by my accountant. As the conjoint to an EI .......... you would not be allowed to do any of the actual work of the business, other than paperwork. I doubt if this would suit you.
[/quote]

In my experience this can't be right?  My wife and I have set up with the CCI as an EI with my wife as conjoint colloborateur, and both of the french accountants we spoke to said this was the correct structure to enable BOTH of us to work within the business.  If this were correct, then there would be absolutely no point in registering ones spouse, as (for example) they could benefit from your cotistations as far as health is concerned. 

Perhaps it may be true you if you are registered with the CdM, unless you are BOTH qualified at your particular métier?[8-)]

Dunno. I registered with the Ch de M and we were told that Tina could not do anything other than paperwork, for a maximum 16 hrs a week. The reason for doing it is to allow the CC to earn pension entitlement etc in his/her own right, at no additional cost.

Tina subsequently registered as a commercant with the Ch de Comm and had to be removed from my registration.

[quote user="busybee"]

The problem I foresee if we set up as a chambre d'hote, is that we will be limited to that aspect of the business, and will not be able to work as an artist or photographer in addition. I can see that there are a number of other people running residential

courses and activity holidays over here in one form or another, but it

is impossible to tell how they have set up their business structure (if

indeed they have...) - so if anyone else is actually doing this I would love to hear from them.

Can you clarify, if we set up a SARL or EURL, can we define the business to include providing residential courses AND photography, graphic design etc.?

I did think that as a conjoint collabarateur that you could do the work, but wouldn't get paid for it, so thanks for that clarification.

Regards,

busybee

[/quote]

You can register to do as whatever you can register to do, if you see what I mean. The limiting factor is usually that which you are qualified to do. Eg. I doubt if you could set yourself up as a "teacher" without being qualified or experienced. If (as I assume you are) you/he are/is a qualified photography teacher then you/he/both would register as a ch d'h and a teacher, etc.

Don''t confuse registration with company structure. You choose and register as what you want to do (with the appropriate "chambre", probably commerce in your case although you may be required to register with more than one, if you cross disciplines), then, with the aid of your accountant choose the appropriate structure - SARL (a limited company), EURL (an individual with limited liabilities - wouldn't suit you as a partnership), EI, etc etc... Although in practice this is done all at once (and by your accountant!).

I'll stick to my point about a CC not being allowed to do anything more than paperwork, despite the assertion of others! Check with the Ch de Comm...