English Electrician?

Keni

Kirsty has just posed the question - why would a small French Village want to employ an English Electrican - on Renovation, Renovation - this hopeful young lad needs to think things through, methinks? Does he know the French regs?

Anyone else watching C4?

I think the majority of the programme was filmed a couple of years ago - they'd finished their two year courses and had another baby by the end of the programme, but I thought they had bought a house in France and one in the UK.

Can only assume that someone put him right about being able to ply his trade in France.

(Although not strictly relevant to this area of the forum), the "when was it filmed" question is very relevant.  Occasionally i catch one of these "Place in the Sun" or UK Location,... programs on e.g. Discovery (i.e. not BBC/ITV/C4 "mainstream" and am surprised by the prices.  Then one clicks that they were filmed many years ago and are now completely out of date.  Given that the programs give out specific figures (e.g. house prices, renovation costs, etc.) then I really this that the broadcaster should put the date it was filmed somewhere.  OK, not on the screen (emphasising its old or a repeat) but maybe in the program guide or somewhere.  Without the date it is just plain misleading.

Re: the guy's UK qualifications.  I'm sure that if he can get his UK qualifications he has the capabilities to manage to do the appropriate study, etc. in France to understand the requirements and standards here.  His French might be limited but some people let limited French stop them doing things whilst others just get on with life and manage and have great fun doing it.

And just think of all those people who learnt to drive in the UK under UK rules - and now they are driving in France and most of them have received no additional training, have not even read the French Code de la Route, etc.  Things differ but people can learn and I can see no reason to just assume he will "get it wrong".

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]  Given that the programs give out specific figures (e.g. house prices, renovation costs, etc.) then I really this that the broadcaster should put the date it was filmed somewhere.  OK, not on the screen (emphasising its old or a repeat) but maybe in the program guide or somewhere.  Without the date it is just plain misleading.

Re: the guy's UK qualifications.  I'm sure that if he can get his UK qualifications he has the capabilities to manage to do the appropriate study, etc. in France to understand the requirements and standards here.  His French might be limited but some people let limited French stop them doing things whilst others just get on with life and manage and have great fun doing it.

And just think of all those people who learnt to drive in the UK under UK rules - and now they are driving in France and most of them have received no additional training, have not even read the French Code de la Route, etc.  Things differ but people can learn and I can see no reason to just assume he will "get it wrong".

Ian[/quote]

I agree,  I thought they were a hardworking, positive couple who would succeed through commitment and energy at most things they decided to tackle. They revised their dream plan in the light of circumstances (sensible) and appeared to be well on the road to living their own kind of dream. Good luck to them.

Actually, in the end credits was a caption, " Prices correct as at Summer2005" or whatever.

Pouyade