Might be moving to France

markspence

Hello everyone. I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my life, not of my own making, but it seems i have a divorce looming. I'll be splitting the house with my wife, which will leave me with around £70k. Now i'm nearly 50, been clerical for most of my life, and it's time for a change. I have very little of the french language, but i'd like to buy a house, perhaps in the vendee or brittany, sort of semi retire, and perhaps spend my time looking after a few holiday homes for people who can't live there all year round. You know the stuff, bit of maintenance, get the shopping in for when they come on holiday, mow the lawns and that sort of thing.

The point that bothers me is. I don't speak french very well. In fact, it may be said that my grasp of french is very poor. That said, i have always enjoyed having a go, and on the times we've visited france, i've scrabbled by, rather badly, and have always found that if i at least had a try, then i was rewarded with a patient smile, and someone would come to my aid, usually speaking english better than i can. i will be buying a conversational french cd at the earliest opportunity of course.

Now am i  barking mad, or is it realistic of me to think that i could do such a thing. I'm thinking small house around 30 - 40k euro maybe a bit more, and then supplement the meagre income off the interest of the remainder.

Will someone give me either a reality check or tell me i can do this. I'm reasonable at DIY and that sort of stuff, and i don't mind gardening if i have the time, which is something i'd like to have lots of. I can cook and that sort of stuff, and i enjoy meeting new friends.

Sorry to burden the forum, but i think i might have a chance of doing this. If i have, what problems am i going to hit. Aside from the language that is. Perhaps someone can direct me to a good website that will give me the answers i'm looking for.

My dream is that with the advent of so many people buying homes in france, that the sort of thing i would be doing might be a useful service. i know that a lot of neighbours might do this for them, but maybe an expat living on site would have some appeal. Who know's.

Will someone tell me the truth please before i do something really daft and regret it.

Thanks for reading, and for those that feel they have the time to reply, thanks in anticipation.

Mark Spence

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly speaking I don't think you will find a house to buy for your budget unless it is a real ruin. Cheap house prices in France have long since gone even if they are cheap by UK standards,they are not particularly cheap for the french anymore unless they have the money to invest. Looking after holiday homes is something so many brits are doing anyway and you would need to register as a small business to be legit which would involve paying social charges. Are you also aware of the problems of health care for non-officially retired at 60 EU citizens as well which could affect you and you really should speak good french to deal with any problems if you wish to start a small business up here. I just want to warn you that it is not like you read about and see on the TV and you must do your homework well because you will not get financial help here without paying in first. Perhaps you should rent a property for a year before burning your bridges in the UK as you well may get a shock and find its not what you thought.

Mark

Whilst there is nothing wrong with your desire to move to France and start a new life, your personal circumstances mean that this is not likely to be possible.  In order to obtain the right to live in France, you must have a minimum income with which to support yourself (currently 450€ a month) as well as heathcare insurance.  I don't think you will have enough money to qualify for this.

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

Interestingly France and the UK are more similar than they are different.  A quick way to check the feasibility of a plan is to predict how you would get on in your home country.  That is, buy a tiny bedsit and do odd jobs for folk nearby to make ends meet.  I think it is feasible for you in the UK  ... but perhaps expect it to be slightly more difficult here in France as you will struggle with the language barrier and your need to start up a small business. And why not rent first?

Do you have any experience starting a small business (marketing, sales, admin etc)?

There will be people who can help you do it - but don't expect a life of luxury.  Best of luck - start your French lessons soon too.

[quote user="Ian"]

I think it is feasible for you in the UK  ... but perhaps expect it to be slightly more difficult here in France as you will struggle with the language barrier and your need to start up a small business.

[/quote]

Are you allowed to say that here Ian? [6]

Expect your negativity to be jumped on very quickly. [:)]

No fussy, I suspect Gardian, like several other people, thought the OP was someone else in another guise. (because of an incident here yesterday afternoon) This isn't the case.

You haven't made an error, don't worry.

I suspect by now Mark is really confused so perhaps we  should get back on topic ?. [:)]

Mark - Welcome to the Forum.  I hope that you have not been put off.  It would appear that there was a spoof post yesterday and yours got confused with that.

I echo the advice that it's MUCH better to start off by renting something.  That way, you get to know an area, whether there's work around, whether you can handle not speaking French, how to set up a small business etc.

If you are looking for work within a British community, you need to chose an area popular with the Brits.  However, your capital won't go far.  You can do a check on property prices and areas by clicking the Living France's property search:

http://www.francepropertyshop.com/

Long term rents in France are much cheaper than the UK, especially if you want to rent from September to June and are prepared to vacate the place during July and August, the peak tourist season.  I searched for rented property in the internet and agreed a long term rent on the basis of a two-week charge with an option to stay for a few months if I liked the place.  Sure enough, when I arrived, the property did not live up to its internet photos and so during that 2 weeks, I found somewhere else (and much cheaper as I was on the spot).

Hi Mark

Hope you've not been put off by the 'forum paranoia' but occasonaly this happens.................life on the internet[Www]

But to try and give you some idea about your plans.(and these are obviously open to discussion)

If you are going to be on your own, Cathys idea about renting is a good idea. You don't need anything too large and it's easier to manage. Gives you time to dicscover an area and decide if you really want to live here.

With regard to not being able to live here without a minimum income............. I lived in france for two years without 'official income' before I applied for a 'carte de sejour' but with an immobilier this would be difficult to arrange to rent somewhere, but you could do it 'privately'. but the propriétaire may ask for a larger than normal deposit.

You could also register unemplyed and get 450 € per month with RMI (Revenue minimum d'insertion) but you would need a Carte de Sejour for this.

In local newspapers there are often ads for 'Sécurité-guadiennage' by english and french residents. Saw one today advertising for St Tropez........but you want to live in the north west[:)]

and finally, when I first came to france my command of the language was appalling, it comes with time, but I'm still not 'that good'. but get by![:D]

There are loads of threads on here that give very good advice, and other threads that will make you think it's better to live in a tent in the middle of nowhere without any contact with the outside world[+o(] Just do a search.

my only concrete advice: Do it now before it's too late

Hello everyone. Firstly, i'm overwhelmed by those of you that actually took the trouble to respond to my posting. Thank you so much. Your comments have been both helpful and amusing, so thanks for the smiles and advice. And no, internet paranoia doesn't put me off. I've got a built in filter for that sort of stuff.

I'm going to follow up the advice given and do some more research to see if what's vaible, and i think the point about drawing the parralell between doing the same in the UK and France and comparing the two is a particularly good point. As is the one about renting a property in the first instance.

Part of my motive for moving is obviously quality of life, and i wouldn't expect to live as i do in the UK, however my living costs for one person are a lot less than i'm paying here.

Did i understand correctly that there if i applied for residency in france that i might be eligible for some form of benefit. I find that hard to accept, and it's hardly the introduction that a new country would want to me.

i imagine that renting in France is broadly similar to the UK, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Finally, i think the piece of advice about "doing it before it's too late" is particularly relevant. Hope i've not missed that particular boat.

Thanks one and all, sincerely.

Mark Spence

Hi Mark,

Firstly, I was always told to try and follow your dreams as you don't know what is around the corner - that said, have you thought about a motorhome?

We had one for quite a few years, it allowed us to travel around the country to find the area we liked best, it gave us a home space, as it were - pushbikes attached to the back (and moped if needs be). You can stay at most sites cheaply and have all mod cons, also it is a good way to find work - asking at the site you are staying. Also motorhomes are far more welcome in France than the UK, most towns have a grey water disposal site and often a loo area or even, as we found out free electricity for over night stays.

Finally, you can sell up when you have had enough.

Just a thought.

Hi Mark (again)

Keni's post puts me in mind of a good friend of mine who bases himself in a motorhome across France, Cornwall and Spain - he makes ends meet by doing odd-job labouring for Brits, campsite work/management, writitng freelance for motorhome magazines and singing (he does a mean Joe Cocker impression that goes down a storm here in France)!

He tells me that France is the finest country for motorhoming in Europe (he has  list of reasons that have gone in one of my ears and out the other ... Keni would know) and likes to tell me he lives the life of a multi-millionaire ... this is because his best buddy whom he bumps into at random points on the motorhome circuit lives a life just like him and he is a multi-millionaire who loves the lifestyle of waking up with a different view every morning.

Mark,

Ians' friend is right - France is certainly  a superb country for motohoming. Staying at campsites is welcomed everywhere, also you can stay at most village car parks/ camping areas (most places have one), and this is where you will find water/electricity/loos etc. even the service areas can be great on the motorway (not all though - truck stops can be foul for overnight sleeping). The modern motohomes have showers and loos in them, ours was a small 5-berth and for the three of us it was great. Our daughter has epilepsy and it made holidays 'safe' for her if you know what I mean - she kept her own duvet and space etc. We have travelled through France down to Andorra, across Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Belgium and more, as well as the UK. Europe is by far the best place for motorhomes.

You can certainly find out about local places and events from campsites, many small towns and villages have municipal sites. They are usually clean and well cared for. There is a good fraternity amongst motorhomers. I remember in Bruges we all joined up against some Fair Folk trying to take over the free site at the edge of the town - there were about 30 motorhomes that night!

Modern motorhomes can cost as much as a home, just don't go nuts - the French make a great range, as do the Italian and Germans, the British motohomes can be a little doilly and fringe, if you know what I mean.

As I said, you can sell up if you find your hearts' content - you can renttn them that is expensive, but worth it for a weekend as a try before you buy!

Good luck

[quote user="markspence"]

Did i understand correctly that there if i applied for residency in france that i might be eligible for some form of benefit. I find that hard to accept, and it's hardly the introduction that a new country would want to me.

Mark Spence

[/quote]

You are right to question this suggestion Mark. The answer is no, you would not be eligible. You would be granted residence in France ONLY if you can prove that your income is sufficient so that you could not be entitled to benefits such as RMI. Those restrictions have only come about recently, so it is no wonder that not everyone knows about them yet.

As a general rule you have to have lived, legally, in France for a certain period, and/or to have made social security contributions through employment, in order to qualify for benefit. Certain British unemployment benefits are transferable, but only for a short period. Having said that there are occasional cases where people do get assistance, but these tend to be those in genuine need or who may have slipped through the net.

The recent residence rules are European rather than French, and apply similarly in Britain, despite the shock-horror expressed on certain expat forums about 'sponging Polish immigrants', though to be fair many of the French say much the same about immigrants to France. 

[quote]i imagine that renting in France is broadly similar to the UK, unless someone can tell me otherwise.[/quote] [markspence]

Quite different really (except at the very top end - several £k/month in uk or/week in London).

(1) In uk most people will look at you oddly (and talk behind your back) if you mention that you are renting (even or perhaps especially if it is an "expensive" rental). In France it is quite normal;

(2) The legal position is vastly superior in France - comes close to security of tenure with a standard 3-year contract (6-year if rg proprietaire is a company);

(3) The sheer quantity of property available is far greater than in uk and the range is even greater (the expectation being that even many well-off people will rent rather than buy);

(4) Rental costs (as purchase costs) in France are far below those in the uk (on a like-for-like basis).

Hello again everyone. Thank you for the overwhelming number of suggestions that have been put forward. There's so much to digest that i'm going to print all of it off and go through it bit by bit and see if i can absorb all of it. i didn't expect quite so much of a response, and i'm very grateful indeed for all of your comments. Even the negative one's, as they tell another side of the story, and keep my feet on the ground.

i think the suggestion of renting at the moment is a good one, however the only downside of that is that it will eat into my capital while i'm considering my next move, but i like the idea of a different view every morning, so i'll be giving the idea of a motorhome some thought as well. it's one i hadn't even considered, but it does sound appealling.

i'll digest all of your comments, and i'll be back on soon probably for more advice.

Once again, thank you all so much.

Mark Spence

Hi Mark

I haven't read all the posts so this suggestion may have been made already - what about house sitting?  It is an eternal problem people have here in Provence to find someone to look after their homes.  You can find property within your budget - even here in the Vaucluse - but it takes time.  The Drome (26) just to the North is beautiful and cheaper as is the Ardeche just across the Rhone.  Just a thought - if you are entitled to any benefits in the UK - these can be transferred to France which should take the pressure off. 

As for language learning - the BBC course is good; the French television channel  TV5 web page:

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/enseigner-apprendre-francais/accueil_apprendre.php

another good website for Francais Langue Etrangere -

http://www.lepointdufle.net/cours-de-francais.htm;

and from The University of Texas: 

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/

one more: http://frenchecole.libsyn.com/

They are all good.

I know that in many towns  there are associations set up to teach foreigners  French  - our town locally charges just the cost of yearly membership - a single payment of 20euros only  - for 2 classes per week.

All the very best.

Kate 

Hi Mark,  it is really nice to see a newcomer return to his thread and give feedback.  There are so many people who use this forum and can give good advice.  I agree with what you said, although I do not know you I feel that the motorhome is best for you.  I remember once when in Glastonbury, there was these guys camping next door to us in a van, they called us in to survey a bit of home they were really proud of.  Inside, it was all fitted out inside with marble, a shower, a mezzanine bed etc.  This happened around 10 years ago and, since then, I know this kind of thing has taken off.  A mate of mine has even entered the market.  I am sure if you google something you will find a suitable van.  In my opinion, they are a fraction of the price and much cooler than a traditional motorhome.

Goodluck, and, speaking as a woman, I bet there are tons who would love this lifestyle.  I certainly would but I am married..................sorry.[:D]