Unemployed on detatchment then on trial period...

Crevette

I was made redundant last year (end December) whilst on a detatchment agreement in France (paid social charges in UK but income tax in France for four years) then I started a new job (french contract) and am into month five of this.

Now the employer has said they don't want to keep me on... I was already looking for other jobs as I didn't like this one, but all the same it was a surprise.

They have said I can go at the end of next week (although by french law I can stay to the end of the contract if I like).

Now some friends have pointed out that I don't meet the french unemployment benefit conditions if I leave at end of next week, so they say I should stay (I'm not too keen on this as I don't like the job!).

The question is, does my detatchment agreement count for anything? (I was made redundant from this)?

If I understand, I need 6 months social security to be entitled to unemployment benefit but I am unsure if the time working in france but paid from the UK counts.

All help much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

I suspect that it depends upon whether the UK company was paying social charges to the French government on your behalf . What counts is whether the French government got the cotis, or HMG.  If you were just paying UK national insurance then I doubt it would count.  But if your social security payments were made to the government here then I think they probably would.  Did you have a French social security number when you were employed before?  If so, it should be possible to check your status with the regime which was being paid into.

If not, then I reckon your friends are right, and you need to grin and bear it until you get the six months in.

Hi Crevette

For what it's worth, I think (based purely on personal experience of a french friend) in terms of qualifying period from your current contract that it depends exactly what date your employer is recording you as leaving.  If they are saying leave at the end of next week rather than working your notice but your actual contract still runs for the full six months (ie they're just not renewing your contract and letting you go early) then it means you can't actually sign on and look for other work until the end of the contract - because strictly speaking you're still "working" for them. Or if they are saying leave end of next week and the end of the contract is brought forward, then you can sign on but may not qualify if you haven't done six months work......when obviously your next question of does the UK company count - no idea on this bit I'm afraid.

I stress that this is my personal opinion, and not based on any legal stuff!!

Lou

Thanks for the info!

I think I will stick it out to be sure that I qualify... I have two weeks holiday to take as well so it ends up as being another three weeks - not too hard to bare when it may mean I get a reasonable salary to get me on my feet (what is the benefit these days?)

Rob