Micro Enterprise

Deb

We have set up a micro enterprise gardening services business (with me as conjoint collaborateur - or chief wheelbarrow pusher!).  We are not entirely sure what book-keeping records that we have to keep, my understanding of the situation is that we just need to keep copy invoices as 50% of our earnings are treated as expenses.  We have an accountant but the information is a little vague (the more cynical amongst you might think that this is a way to charge higher fees!). Don't we have to keep any bills for our expenses?

Second query, I have been asked by a client if I would consider doing some gite changeovers for her, does anyone know if I am able to add this as 'another string to our bow' on the business front?  It would help in terms of increasing the hours worked for our health cover.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi

You are only required to keep a day book of money coming in ie, invoice payments. At tax return time, the total is the number you put on the return nothing else.

You do not need to keep records of your purchases etc. although it doesnt hurt.

I would lose the accountant, as a micro enterprise, he cannot save you money, and there is no requirement to have one its wasted money and they are generally not very forthcoming with the information your looking for, just as you mentioned.

You can add gite changeovers to your existing enterprise, by simply going into your 'chambre de commerce' where they will complete the forms for you, the fee is 101 euros. Since you are making a change, and can add as many activities as you want, I would think about other things you might want to do and add it all at one time rather than pay each time. I would ask them to phrase something that covers a wide range of activities you may or may not undertake.

hiya - we did the same over 6 years ago now - we clean pools and do gite change overs as well (although we have had enough of cleaning in the summer and only do a couple a week now). If you are registered with MSA, you will be able to do other things as long as it does not become more than your registered business - I think there is a percentage, but I cant remember what it is, sorry. Make sure you get insurance for all the types of work you do. Oh, and be aware that MSA will take a couple of years to gear up before they fleece you and demand back payments! We are in Northern Dordogne/Charente borders - if you let me know where you are I will pass any prospective customers that get in touch with us that are too far out for us to look after. -

Cheers And good luck

Steve & Dawn

Deb,

here is the info you want for your first question

http://mamicroentreprise.free.fr/article.php3?id_article=59

and the invoices you issue should contain the information on this page

http://mamicroentreprise.free.fr/article.php3?id_article=99 - where applicable

I am not an accountant but do have a micro entreprise and don't use an accountant. The first year I did get some accountant help just to become familiar with everything and know what to fill in and where on forms. Tax and cotisation declarations etc

Danny

Although the answers about bookkeeping are probably correct for the type of business under discussion, there is a requirement for those under a BIC registration (which includes several types of micro entreprises) to keep records of purchases. That's always a good idea anyway; even micro businesses can be subject to investigation.

"Les entrepreneurs bénéficiant du régime fiscal de la micro entreprise... bénéficient d’un allègement comptable:
ils peuvent simplement tenir un livre mentionnant chronologiquement le montant et l’origine des recettes encaissées à titre professionnel. Ce livre est tenu au jour le jour .
Pour les commerçants (y compris les artisans assujettis au régime BIC) , il est toujours nécessaire de tenir un registre récapitulé par année, présentant le détail des achats."

It is often assumed that those with a micro business have no need of an accountant. However, an accountant can advise whether or not the micro regime is in fact the right one for you. It can often prove financially beneficial, even bearing accountancy fees in mind, to be under the réel regime.

See this site if you need more explanation.

[quote user="Will"]

there is a requirement for those under a BIC registration (which includes several types of micro entreprises) to keep records of purchases. [/quote]

Correct Will, but this applies to merchandise which is then resold, so assuming they dont resell anything, it does not apply in this case.

Not wishing to get into semantics, if you are not re-selling you are in a BNC regime and not a BIC. See the French text quoted in my post.

I still say it is a good idea to keep records of purchases, whether or not you are legally required to do so.

I'll second Will, It's always best to keep a track of your expenses too. The Livre Journal is the key accountancy book to keep up to date. You can also get a carnet de depenses et recettes where you'll write on a daily basis your expenses & sales. Also keep a copy of all your invoices.