Is there a need for qualified Tree Surgeons?

Janner

Hi,

A friend and i are looking at travelling over to France in just over a months time on a working holiday. We are both trained tree surgeons with over 3 years climbing experience each. Unfortunately both of us only speak basic (schoolboy) french.  I have heard the Landes region has allot of storm damaged trees now after the high winds that  recently hit France. This potential area of work would be perfect for us as we are mad keen surfers/ spearfishermen

Do you guys think we would find any work? (whether it be in Landes or anywhere for that matter?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ian

Sorry Ian but unlike in UK where you buy a scabby old van, hand paint 'Joe Bloggs - Tree Surgeon' on the side and make music with your chain saw it don't work that way in France.

To work legally you have to properly establish a business, (with formal, French recognised, qualifications) and get a SIRET number, pay your horrendous taxes and insurance, only THEN you can start making sawdust.

That's not to say many are not doing it on 'the black' but get caught (and there's a good chance you will - the French will shop you if nothing else) and you're in big trouble, as is the person who employed you.

Seriously hurt or maim yourslf on a 'black' job and your 'employer' will likely be paying to supporting you for the rest of his life.

Getting the picture ??????????????????

Nice idea but complete non starter, stick to the surfing and fishing [;-)]

Thanks for the advice guys, do you still think i would struggle finding employment with an existing tree surgery Company in France? (being above board is way more up my street anyway) I am at the minute finding it difficult locating websites of French tree surgery companies.

Cheers Ian

I also would not bank on any of the blown down trees left around by the time you get here and are set up. Most of the 'downed' trees round here disappeared in a couple of days. The locals get out with their chainsaws and take the wood away for their fires. You can get an idea of how many trees were downed by the large quantity of tree stumps all over the place, there must of be hundreds of them.

Being still a largely forested country with a highly devloped timber industry there are a plethora of tree surgeons, both legitimate and otherwise.

As a non French speaking transient with non French qualifications in a country with what is it now, 14% unemployment - and rising - I would rate your prospcts of finding lawful employment as virtually zero.

As an indication of the cost of running your own business quotes for felling a small pine tree, one no more than say 10m tall and about 40cm in diameter, ranged from €350 to €550, This is in large part due to insurance costs (allegedly) whereas on the black you can get such a job done for under €100.

Guess which way most go but woe betide you if something goes badly wrong.

Sorry to be blunt and pessimistic but that is the way of it.

[:)]