Claiming contribution based JSA temporarily in France

Jeff Cooper

There's a chance I might lose my job here in the UK, and we're thinking that if we have to claim JSA, we may as well be there in France and get some more renovation done! - I beleive that as long as I am getting JSA here in the Uk, and that I sign on at the French JobCentre I could continue to get the contributions based JSA for 3 months.

Is there anyone who has done this, or can confidently tell me more about wether it's possible, and if so, wether it's relatively easy to sign on, and look for work in France. I know I won't get it, but that appears to be part of the deal!

Any info, recommendations etc gratefully received.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as us.

We are getting contributions-based JSA at the moment for my husband.  He was told very firmly by the Job Centre that he could not claim for the time when he was in France, even though he argued that a) it's EU - freedom of movement etc and b) he would continue to job hunt from France and still be able to get back to the UK should it be necessary, in time to meet the interview availability requirements. He didn't ask about signing on in France but it seems unlikely, given the other rules.

Moreover, when he signs off to go to France, he has to contact them the moment we set foot back in the UK to restart, and then they don't pay for the first three days of that new claim.

Of course, it will all be academic in a couple of months time because contributions-based ISA only lasts for 6 months (182 days).

You can bring the benefit with you to France if you are genuinely moving here to seek work, you need to inform your dole office some time in advance and register as unemployed in France as soon as you arrive, the benefit is paid for 3 months (I belive) by the UK, it may take many months before you actually (if ever) receive it.

Editted. The information was my understanding over 4 years ago, it may have changed since then or may not have been correct, enquire at your job centre if you believe that you will be a genuine job seeker in France.

[quote user="Jeff Cooper"]There's a chance I might lose my job here in the UK, and we're thinking that if we have to claim JSA, we may as well be there in France and get some more renovation done! - I beleive that as long as I am getting JSA here in the Uk, and that I sign on at the French JobCentre I could continue to get the contributions based JSA for 3 months.

Is there anyone who has done this, or can confidently tell me more about wether it's possible, and if so, wether it's relatively easy to sign on, and look for work in France. I know I won't get it, but that appears to be part of the deal!

[/quote]

I thought about doing this last year, but decided that that the hoops I would have to jump were not worth it.  Some have already made the points I would have made, needing to sign on etc.  In other words, if they can, the Job centre people (or whoever) will make it difficult.  I was also told I could not do it, but again, like you I had read that you could.  I suspect thaere is a method to do it, but it's done so rarely, that the staff don't know what it is, so just say it's not possible.  In the end, though I was actually job hunting whilst in France, sending off applications etc, I couldn't be bothered - it was bad enough having to restart the claim when I returned from my break over here - never mind trying to get into the system here as well!

I gave up job hunting as soon as I could, and came over here to "retire"!!!

Sorry!

Thanks for all your ideas and comments - I suppose I should have known better than to think it might be easy - but the thought of getting 2 or 3 months away from this awful country was just too tempting - I might have to have a go anyway if things do come to a head, either that or forgo the £240 a month I'm "entitled" to !