swaping UK qualifications to French qualifications.

glacier1

Hi there,

I was a lifeguard/swimming instructor in the UK, I had all the documents to prove it.  The royal life saving society are UK based but they are internationaly recognised.  Theoretically I can come with my British diplomas and swap them for French ones?  Is this the case?  How do I go about it?  Has anybody had experience of this?  I'd love to hear from you.  Many thanks

Dave

Hi there, thanks for your reply, it's interesting to read up about them, I've gone as far as to contact the centre of youths and sport here in my local city, they put me through the departemental authority for foreign qualification (jeunesse-sport.gouv.fr) in Lyon, he's away on holiday until the 17th so I sent an email with my qualifications, just to know what he has to say.  If I have to update my qualification, I also need to know if I can re-do it in the UK, come over with the qualification and get it swapped for a French qualification just like when we swap our UK driving licence for a French one.  These qualifications are European.  I also have a BTEC qualification in Business and Finance, don't know the French verion of BTEC.

Right, it sounds similar to the UK, doesn;t mention anything about red cross qualifications, this I need to check up on (PSE1, and PSE2) for group lifesaving, I think it's a legal requirement, I've already done the 1st step in this qualification, just need to do 2, 2 weekend courses at 250 euro each to get my qualifications up.  I'm going to see if the UK teaching qualification is viable here in France, and then if it is, I'll renue my qualifications back home and come back with it, have it  translated and then try for work in the pools around my area.  French courses are few and far between and they are fully booked up to 2 years in advance.  I'll let you guys know how I get on, the person responsible or transfering UK qualifications to French qualifications is on holiday until mid August.

Cheers

Dave

This is an interesting subject - there seems to be a need to swap qualifications - before I set up a website swapqualifications.com could anyone offer me a useful qualification in exchange for my genuine though slightly dusty 5 O levels, all grade two in Religious Knowledge as I have little use for them now. I could also throw in my Maths O level but I cheated in that so it is slightly tainted. To be honest I cheated or lied in all my examinations except Religous Knowledge.

Hi glacier - I have no idea about life saving qualifications, but you could say that the French are generally very protective of their work market and trades. My area of experience is skiing and snowboarding teaching, and 'normal' teaching, where it is near on impossible to get 'equivalence' and work in France. The basic principles are also very different. For skiing, the best paid and top teachers are those who have won significant races in France, which really does NOT make them good teachers... whereas in the UK your experience and ability to teach, explain, etc, is more important. In 'normal' teaching in France, exams and qualifications are paramount, irrespective of the ability to teach!

More importantly though - how good is your French? I would think that qualifications or experience  would have limited use if you are unable to communicate with any casualty, get a history, find out about symptoms, pain, etc. Bonne chance.

Hi there,

This is very true, also something which is mostly overlooked when it comes to first reactions in an event of an emergency is what is the first language you use when you see a casualty in the water....first reactions count.  I'm pretty good in French, ca va impec merci pour discouter et pour vivre tout les jours ici....but when it comes to technical french I tend to falter a bit, but it can be learnt.  I don't scare easy, I want to do this, one way or another I will become a swimming teacher over here, it's just a question of how and when that's all.  Your vocation odile is very hard, not everybody can do it, that is why the french put a lot of presure on you to pass exams here and to follow the laws layed down by them to the word. 

It is not to say that lifesaving/swimming teaching is the same, I think it's easier than what you do, but there will be exams involved and there will be tests involved.  When I learnt how to swim at the early age of 8, my swimming teacher was German, he tought me everything and brought me to the high level I reached back in the late 80's.   I used to swim in meets in London, France, Cardiff, Manchester etc etc....I was a good 100meter brestroker.  I think that if it's really in your heart to do something, you will do it.....and I aim to make it here.  I do not want to be the next coach of the French national swimming team, mearly a well paid swimming instructor in a local town with a medium sized swimming pool, I am not asking for the moon. 

In any case, I shall post my results on here, I'm going to contact the gentleman responsible for foreign qualifications on or around the 16th.....I think that's when they said he was back.  I'd like to know what he things and what the French official line is.  I have already asked the UK lifesaving association and they have informed me that they are 100% sure the qualification will pass here.....although as you rightly say Odile, it's not just a question of if it passes or not, the French are very proud people, would they ACCEPT an UK based qualification from a Brit looking for work in a French teaching environment.  Another question is whether their insurance will cover me to work in their pool if my qualification is not French.  It will be obvious to all involved that I will have by-passed  (abeit at great personal expence) the French system by going to the UK and doing all my exams etc in the UK...this also might (quite probably will) work against me....I know how they work.  I will seek expert advice BEFORE I venture any further.  I will not spend 1 centime of my money if I have a feeling that what I am about to do will not work.  At the moment I have a gite/chambre d'hotes which is working OK'ish.  I'm shutting it down in mid-September in order to focus on work/studies.  At the moment everything is in the air so to speak. 

I thank you all for your replies.  Take care.