I NEED TO MAKE A LIVING IN FRANCE???

[quote user="disgruntled policeman"]

Hi, my wife and i would like to move to France (either the midi-pyrenees/languedoc roussillon or limousin regions) in about a years time with our baby who will be 1 years old then. We have just started our Rosseta stone course and hope we will be speaking the language well by then. We do not own a house so we would have to be earning enough to pay rent or hopefully get a mortgage in due course.  Or hey, if anyone can just give me a job,,,, even better.

[/quote]

This, more or less, gave a somewhat false impression to us seasoned forum users. Now, out of the blue, you have added,

[quote user="disgruntled policeman"]As i said in my original post, 'we would like to

move to France', but if the situation is not spot on i will stay put

until i retire.
[/quote]

which changes the parameters completely. You then complain we are being too harsh on you - you should know that you cannot have it both ways.

Sue [;-)]

• 1 month later...
[quote user="sobchumbly"]I would warn you how difficult it is to find employment, especially if you can't speak fluent French and in the current environment.

[/quote]

I'm in a catch 22 situation as I can't speak fluent French but don't have the relevant work experience to get a job in the UK as all the graduate training schemes and jobs have dried up in the UK and neither me or my parents can afford to live in either country and I am not sure what my options are.

Maybe a 'job swap' is in order...you could swap policing for a lifetime of silicon encrusted trousers and 3hr midis in our local pub talking a load of  carp.....You only need to approach one of our local Expat artisans (Read ropey transit driving shysters) and pretend you have a modicum of  property renovating skills.

Equally I believe they will have transportable skills , they can fabricate evidence (Their bill) and talk authoratively on most topics (Whether they know or not) They are communications experts (They keep one step ahead of the authorities) They are intimately familiar with rudimentary cuisine (Swap Dougnuts for crepes).....etc. etc..

[quote user="Sprogster"]Panda, the same consideration can be applied to those individuals who take early retirement in their early fifties, without any proper understanding as to the amount of capital you need to set aside to offset the effects of inflation over a further thirty year life expectancy.[/quote]

I was thinking just this earlier in the week. 51 years young, 30 years since I started work with (hopefully) another 30 years ahead of me. Like a lot of people, we often toy with retiring early. I know our living costs are going to drop considerably when we no longer work (they're going to have to, too!). But it is quite scary to think that I could live for the equivalent of my working life all over again with my only income coming from interest on our current capital and modest pension. Somehow the office doesn't seem quite so bad when put like that.