What are the best regions in France for employment outside of Paris ?

theodore bagwell

We have found that French companies tend to interview in French (quelle surprise!) so if your French language skills can't cope with that you may have a problem.  Once working, I am sure it would be possible to "wing it", but a lot depends on what sector you are looking at (IT is mainly in English, healthcare 100% French). 

OH had an interview with a French company who hadn't realised he was British (despite his CV being in English, and his covering letter (in French) explaining that his French wasn't completely fluent-we did get a couple of good uses of the subjunctive in though!).  They were pleasantly surprised, and impressed (he was terrified).  The job is for "missions a l'entranger" where English is essential, but good French is essential too.  They are waiting for a suitable mission - please keep everything crossed for him!

There is always the "expat" route, but the gravy train is notoriously hard to get on to. We lived in Den Haag for a couple of times - aka Gravy Train Central, so we know.

Btw, please lay off Norman, he may have a slightly unfortunate use of words from time to time, but it wouldn't be the same here without him, and he does have useful knowledge and experience to share.  (flip, I've done it again!)

Fi

Theo

Grenoble has quite a few multi-national organisations - HP are still there. There is also the Syncatron (sp!) which is full of non-native scientists and engineers. There is a large ex-pat community which exists there and the Business language is English - I think that is what you meant? I worked for a French company and my french was poor at the time, but improved over time. I was very fortunate admittedly, but they wanted someone with multi-national experience. It is possible, but the HR depts are a nightmare and tend to use overseas recruitment agencies. It is almost harder sometimes when you are French - as some multi-nationals dont like employing native French citing the 35hr working week and the 'manifestation' - a HR friend told me on the QT one day, the only reason some french get the jobs is because they have to adhere to ratios otherwise they would lose funding/investment.

Theodore

You haven't said what you do, or would like to do, as it may have a bearing on where you go.

Don't listen to the negative comments about coming to France and not getting a job because you can't speak the language. I think you are doing the right thing by starting to learn.

I got a job here, support 5 people, and my french is rubbish.

good luck

[quote user="crazyfrog"]Theodore

You haven't said what you do, or would like to do, as it may have a bearing on where you go.

Don't listen to the negative comments about coming to France and not getting a job because you can't speak the language. I think you are doing the right thing by starting to learn.

I got a job here, support 5 people, and my french is rubbish.

good luck[/quote]

I think you got lucky!  How anyone can expect to get a job in any country without some knowledge of the language beggars belief.  Do you use your "rubbish" French in your job?  Are the 5 people you "support" French?  What is it that you do which doesn't require French in France? Pray tell, I'm sure there are many out there who would like to know!

Of course it is good to start to learn the language of the country you plan to live in - that goes without saying, not only for employment, but for day-to-day life, but to assume that fluent English is enough to get you a job in France is at best naive or deluded, and at worst arrogant.

I wish the OP well, but it is my belief that without a reasonable/good level of spoken and written French, finding a job in France for a French company would be difficult, if not impossible.

Fi

Maybe I did get lucky, but it was after 3 years of no luck and a lot of hard work looking. And yes, I do use my "rubbish" french in my job. And you are quite right that assuming Fluent English will not be enough to get you a job in France, or anywhere else that doesn't speak English as a first language. There are, however, other skills that potential employers look for. I think fluent English would not be enough for you to get a job in the UK either; skills, experience and qualifications all play a part. (I think call centers are the exception though)

I'm not sure I said you don't need French to work in France, so I can't pray tell thee. Besides, I think the only person who would like to know is the original poster as it was he who was asking for information, most other people couldn't care less. I directly support my family. I can't tell you how many French I support, hundreds I guess. With the amount of tax and cotisations I pay, probably thousands!

Theodore

If you have the skills required for the post they are advertising and you can prove your worthiness to them, then (in my mind) you will eventually be lucky. My "rubbish" french managed to get me through two job interviews, conducted completely in French (and of quite a technical nature). They didn't seem to mind that I didn't have a full grasp of the subjunctive, or the past imperative, it was my 20years of knowledge in the field and previous experience which was more important to them than perfect French.

Make sure you research the company you are wanting to work for and prepare (lots of preparation!) some questions (with potential answers so you can follow up).

As to where to look...get in touch with some employement agencies. Addecco and Atos are two that spring to mind. But there are also internet sites specifically geared to help you search for jobs sudouestjob.com is one i've used in the past. The big (bigger than most) cities will obviously be the best places to look. Lyon, Toulouse, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Nantes, Limoges, Clermont-Ferrand. But obviously, it depends on what you do.(Not much call for ski instructors in Bordeaux!)

Just remember that it isn't impossible...hard work maybe, but not impossible.

To everyone else:

I would be interested to know how many people on this and other forums are actually working full time for a French employer. I know there must be lots of English who have set up their own businesses catering for both the English and French markets, but how many people work solely for a French employer? More objectively, it would be interesting to know the level of French vs experience/skills that allowed them to get a job in France, i.e. more experience (less French) vs more French (less experience).

best of luck