working as a cleaner for holiday lets.

glacier1

Hi there,

my mother's coming up to 60 and she still wants to work, retirement is boring she says! lool. We'll be moving in a week to Canet en Roussillon near Perpignan where she wants to work as a cleaner for foreigners who want a quick turn around of their rental property and can't be present to clean each and every time. Someone said that 10 euro p/h is reasonable to ask, but I want her to be on the books.

My question is, do we need to start a business here (auto-entrepeuneur) or can we keep receipts and just add up the total hours/pay and fill in a tax form? How does it work, she wants to work to pay for her carte vitale.

Thanks

If your Mum is nearly 60, presumably she will qualify for an E121 as soon as she turns 60 anyway, which would be a lot cheaper way to get into the French health system.

Your mother by working, would become liable to fairly hefty social charges and with a very short holiday rental season limiting her earning potential, not sure the economics add up.

Hi, if she wants to work to have a carte vitale she needs to look at working as a cleaner on a campsite or something similar, usually plenty part time jobs in the summer around canet , she could try at malibu village which is part of a company called CELA,

Thanks a lot for your reply, this is all great. I know that at 60 years and 9 months she will get her pension (the pension of my father who passed away 7 years ago). Last employment here was a gite/chambre d'hotes. She now has a provisional number (while they change her document over, this has been the case since september last year. I'm worried that if she does nothing they will retain her right for health care when she needs medication for heart problems and stroke etc on a monthy basis (adds up to 180 euro p/m). She is ok for working as a cleaner to pay for her life in France only if it brings her healthcare.

In light of what you say, Glacier, then I would certainly pursue the Sprogster option first - ie establish from the DWP whether or not she is entitled to an E121.  She may not need to work at all then.

She might even try local cleaning companies.  I have a cleaner from a local agency and they seem to be contantly looking around for staff.

I don't know about cheque d'emploi but whatever method you use then part time workers have to do a minimum number of hours per week to qualify for healthcare (I believe it's twenty but don't quote me!)  Autoentrepreneur seems to require rather fewer hours but somebody may catch on to this eventually.  I understand that some firms are even insisting that their employees (for want of a better word!) become autoentrepreneurs themselves, in order to avoid companies having to shell out towards their cotis, but I don't know how true this actually is.