Work & Training - what do you think?

Biggins

My husband and I would very much to live full time in our french house near Loudeac - Brittany.  However, we do need to earn a small income - until we can do this we will remain in the UK.  We are keen to retrain or even obtain new qualifications - can anyone suggest an avenue for employment or training/qualifications that would help us gain employment?  We understand that there are issues with regard to the economic climate and the French like to employ the French - but we are keen and willing to make ourselves marketable.  Does anyone know any skills that are in demand?  Many thanks for your assistance and help.

Biggins

It depends on what you call a 'small' income. Rural French standards are different from British expectations.

And there are other factors.

How good is your French?

What qualifications or experience do you already have? Maybe turn a hobby into an earner

How old are you? (30's, 40's, 50's...)

How good is your French?

Are you prepared to work full time?

How about starting your own business?

How good is your French?

Typically French jobs tend to be full-time (but there are exceptions) and you're likely to find yourselves on short (=insecure) contracts. In the Loudeac area one big employer is the meat processing industry -- fine if you don't mind hard work up to your knees in pigs' innards. I know a number of Brits who've done that at various times -- no qualifications needed. My French niece got herself a summer job in quality control in a freezer plant with no practical qualifications so it can be done.

The classic answer if you want a full-time job or your own business is to go for any of the building trades, but French practice is different from the UK, so even with proper training (years, rather than months) you'd still need to learn the local ways. And you will need qualifications (or 3 years documented experience).

Try visiting the Loudeac Pole Emploi at

Maison de l'Emploi
1 rue de la Chesnaie
22600 LOUDEAC

The national web site is

http://www.pole-emploi.fr/accueil/

and this page will allow you to start looking at what's available

http://www2.pole-emploi.fr/espacecandidat/nicola/InitialiserCriteres.do

Good luck.