what does everybody do?

chocolatefish

Just as a further thought and to maybe help you get out more.

Rhone Alpes operate a discount card for use on the TER trains of SNCF.  The card (Illico Frequences) costs 40€ for a year and allows the owner to get 25% discount on TER and local trains within the region Monday to Friday.  The "trains" also include TER buses.

Now to the important bit:

At weekends the discount is increased to 50% and you can take up to 4 people with you for free.  So for half the cost of a normal ticket the family can be visiting places like St Etienne, Annecy, Chamonix, Pont Vallo d'Arc etc..

I had been in the UK for about 8 years, working as a tri-lingual secretary and translator - when I was asked to teach some local kids and neighbours 'holiday' French - when I realised that I hadn't got a clue (French being my mother tongue).  Worked voluntarily for a local 6th Form to get some experience - enjoyed it but quickly realised that I had to train and enrolled on a 4Year B.Ed Honours course. Being a good skier does not make you a ski instructor, nor does being a genius in physics make you a good teacher!! (as most of us are so painfully aware!).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is the complete opposite best maths teacher I had had passed O' level Greek modern and ancient, French, German, Italian. Spanish, Dutch,Portugeuse and Danish. Languages he was awful he could not under stand why anybodty found it hard he was great at teaching maths because he could do it but he found it harder work

OH works full-time in Holland doing IT stuff (currently negotiating at least partial homeworking), I am femme au foyer (3 brats, youngest has special needs so always busy) who also lets out a couple of gites.  And we are permanently skint!