Average wage in your part of France

NormanH

Clair posted something similar a while ago and they are an eye-opener, that's for sure..  My village isn't on your site, sadly, but even so... 

I often read on fora the fact that one of the plusses about rural France is that nobody cares how old your car or your clothes etc are.  No wonder, really, given what so many people seem to live on.

The post code search didn't work for me but, using the drop down menu for departments, I found the adjacent commune and the mean was €1.530,00.  I know my neighbour doesn't earn enough to pay tax (as I recall their monthly household income was ~€1,000)...hence why family and friends here in the UK pass clothes etc onto them (and other families in the village).

Mrs R51

Doesn't work for me either, in fact the whole site is somewhat flaky. However the 'lowest scores' for our departement included most of the neighbouring towns, which are regarded as prosperous by our commune. Even they were around 23,000 out of about 25,000, and were shown as having improved in table position.

This site gives average household income and lots of other statistical information for all communes in France, and although the figures are a bit ancient they can be eye-opening (equates to 753.75€ average monthly household income for our commune). It would be interesting to know the source of the salairemoyen figures - I didn't see that information but I didn't (or rather couldn't) search for very much on that site.

[quote user="Richard51"]The post code search didn't work for me but, using the drop down menu for departments, I found the adjacent commune and the mean was €1.530,00.  I know my neighbour doesn't earn enough to pay tax (as I recall their monthly household income was ~€1,000)...hence why family and friends here in the UK pass clothes etc onto them (and other families in the village).

Mrs R51
[/quote]

I hope you and your friends are fully registered to carry out this activity and that you have the correct insurance incase anyone injures themselves while giving, receiving or using the clothes as they may not be approved for use in mainland Europe..

What is the point in the French government making all the laws and rules to ensure that the population stays poor, and then you go GIVING them things. [;-)]

Part of me is glad it was not just me having problems, I normally refuse to us eany French site, my computer is so slow that any site carrying advertising is a work up but most of them just dont deliver or allow the basic thing that they are there for and make me pete a plomb, I let my guard slip and followed Norm's recommendation.

Even if it had worked for me I didnt see anywhere on the site that would gie you what the name of the site suggests, salaire moyen other than a google ad link.

Pretty pointless yet par for the course, do people actually get paid to create these sites or just do it for fun?

Same here as Coops[:D], although I thought at first I should keep quiet about it as I must be the one who busted it (too many hits!)

It is true that I prefer Will's site though. The other site's average income for where I live was much higher than I thought possible.

Revenues per foyer dont really mean much to me, one foyer, a family with Papa working, Mama bringing up two young children is going to be much lower than when they are in their early 20's and all 4 may be working.

I trust Will's site and already had it bookmarked, it shows the revenue of my nearest town as being just over €1000 per month yet according to salaire moyen the lowest in the departement is over €1800 per month, maybe the difference is allocations familiales I dont know but is it too much to ask for a site called salaires moyen to actually list salaries?

I know its too much to ask for the site to work or even to be accurate but why on earth did they chose that name?

I should just point out again that the site I linked uses 2004 figures for average household income, and some of the other data come from 1999. I understand this to be the latest comprehensive official (i.e. INSEE) data that are freely available, so it would be interesting to know the source of the figures on the 'other' site. I know all about the affects of inflation, but for salaries to double or treble in six years or fewer is asking a bit much.

Edit - following Judie's example, I followed the departmental part of the site through and found our commune. It would appear the figures are from 2008. Rather shockingly, the average monthly income for 'active' households is given as a mere 650€. The retired do rather better at 1350€ - over twice the 'active' figure. How can this be?

Another observation. The least wealthy towns in the main part of the departmental site seem to be those which are popular with the English. I suppose that gives lie to the myth about prosperous Brits with Swiss bank accounts buying up all the houses and forcing the French out. Or maybe that's what has happened, and the British don't declare their income?

[;-)]

This is a very British thread though isn't it, all concerned over money.  These people still eat and drink and are alive so what's the worry.  Maybe I am a bit out of line here but to me it's like the ads on TV asking you to sponsor poor little African girl who doesn't have access to an education that is going to allow her to live her life in a office block instead of out in the fields.  I bet they are a dam site happier than people living just out of the povery line here in the uk, wrapped up warm in their council flat with their 52" flat screen TV. [;-)]

Ahh, the joy of shop lifting lol.

It's not the nobility of  poverty at all.  I have seen and experienced both sides.  As a child I was very very poor, won't bore you with details.  Now I am very very comfortable, I earn much more than I need.  The down side of earning more than I need is I don't get the time I need and I worry about my earnings being taken away from me.  I honestly believe I was happier and appreciated things much more when I had to earn them, they had a greater significance and value.