Teaching English (CELTA) no previous experience/qualifications

Emma Louise

[quote user="sweet 17"]but I do not remember a time when I'd worked harder in my life…  Definitely worse than school and FAR worse than university.[/quote]I could not agree more with your assessment.  I am amazed at your stamina in commuting to it daily.

[quote user="Richard51"]I fear that in this day and age it will not be as easy to get such  jobs as it was in the past…[/quote]Indeed.  These events were in 2007.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

There was so much grammar and, believe it or not, there were people who'd had no formal instruction in grammar throughout their school and university careers.

[/quote]

That will be me then!!

My wonderfully progressive 70's comprehensive school dubbed "the training ground for borstal" which had 2000 pupils, where there were so many teachers they did not know each other, where they used to smoke dope in the class in front of the pupils, encourage their protegés to visit their council flats at the weekend to try out harder drugs etc etc etc.................

Anyway that pathetic excuse for a school taught no English grammar, they did not even teach or correct spelling as for them all that was important was expression, during my first ever French lesson the teacher started teaching the basic verbs whereapon I uttered the immortal words "please Miss what is a verb?" and got my first detention, she didnt believe any of us and said we had must learnt it in English grammar, not wanting another detention I kept quiet.

Can you imagine 2 or 3 years of learning a language when you havnt got a clue what any grammatical term is? its like lerning tow languages in one and failing! No surprise that I got unclassified at O level back in te days when we were actually allowed to fail exams and all because the schol was so big that the teachers did not converse with each other.

To this day I still dont really understand grammar which is still my biggest obstacle to learning foreign languages

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Chance, do you want me to recommend you some books, with explanations and exercises, that you could go through yourself to grasp the essentials?

It's really quite painless and not difficult at all.

[/quote]

Oh my god! it is only just after teatime on a Sunday evening

and,  we are  talking about sex again!