Hollande's Views on AE

Racerbear02

I notice that M. Hollande ( assuming elected )is proposing a wealth tax on incomes of over 1,000,000 Euros a year, not a problem for most of use, but the article also said that he was planning on changing a lot of the reforms that the dwarf had introduced, I have done a quick search, but can find nothing on his views on AE, does anyone know where he stands on this??

A few years ago, before the AE scheme started I had a guest who was a professor at one of the Grand Ecoles in Paris. We had a chat one evening about small (one person) business's in France and it seemed clear to me that they didn't really have a clue and it seems things have not changed much. I think it was Bush senior who allegedly said something like "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur", probably one of the most sensible things he may have ever said.

"They" being whom Quillan?

The would be entrepeneurs, the French or the academics at the Grand ecoles?

I am thinking that you mean the French in generalised terms, if so I agree because even seasoned entrepeneurs, professionals and academics have shocked me at their naiveté and lack of knowledge

[quote user="Chancer"]

"They" being whom Quillan?

The would be entrepeneurs, the French or the academics at the Grand ecoles?

I am thinking that you mean the French in generalised terms, if so I agree because even seasoned entrepeneurs, professionals and academics have shocked me at their naiveté and lack of knowledge

[/quote]

It was a general term but if the people at the top don't understand, especially those that are grooming the next generation of CEO's and politicians what hope does the fella in the street have. A friend of mine has a son who finished university and started up a high end cycle building business after three years he has given up because of the way the tax and other 'systems' have treated him. Shame really as he was just on the verge of creating a job for somebody. Not a great job mind but better than nothing.

With this guy from the Grand Ecole we talked about how Thatcher enabled small business's to start up. Indeed that's how I started. This guy could not get around the fact that out of say every 10 new companies after three years they may be only three or four left but that they would then be employing people. This failure rate, he said, was not acceptable and that they would be looking at maximum of two failing in France. He could not understand that a system that produced three or four new companies that survived and then employed people was better than none.

It isn't all quite so black and white though is it. In the UK business creation is an industry in itself, that gets through huge pots of EC and UK govt funding. A lot of the businesses that get started, never had any chance of being sustainable. Sorry to be cynical but a lot of new businesses are unwitting vehicles so that the funding councils can (a) make the stats look good and (b) distribute grants for setting up websites, for setting up telecoms, etc, etc, so that the website/telecom/consultants on the approved list make a very good living, and after a couple of years those businesses fold and are replaced by another tide of businesses needing websites etc etc. Well that's how it was in the UK a few years, I worked in that area and it sickened me in the end, the only people that made a secure living were the people who worked for the funding councils and really they were doing nothing constructive for the economy at all, it was just a funding merry-go-round with public money, nobody cared two hoots whether a business was sustainable in the long term or not. To me a business is only worth setting up if it has a chance of success. I think France is probably too extreme in that but equally I think the UK is too extreme the other way.

[quote user="freddy"][quote user="pachapapa"]

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur",

A typical oxymoron as "entrepreneur" is a french word.

[/quote]

Indeed,  that rather being the point of the joke
[/quote]

Glad somebody pointed it out to him. [;-)]

I was once told in France, that I didn't understand how a 'club de sport' worked and how 'club's' worked in general. That was the tennis club mafia, most elus, huge subventions for the tennis club and unless you joined and paid a fortune for the priveledge then you couldn't play. And I didn't understand!........I understood all too well what their 'game' was.

[quote user="EuroTrashII"]It isn't all quite so black and white though is it. In the UK business creation is an industry in itself, that gets through huge pots of EC and UK govt funding. A lot of the businesses that get started, never had any chance of being sustainable. Sorry to be cynical but a lot of new businesses are unwitting vehicles so that the funding councils can (a) make the stats look good and (b) distribute grants for setting up websites, for setting up telecoms, etc, etc, so that the website/telecom/consultants on the approved list make a very good living, and after a couple of years those businesses fold and are replaced by another tide of businesses needing websites etc etc. Well that's how it was in the UK a few years, I worked in that area and it sickened me in the end, the only people that made a secure living were the people who worked for the funding councils and really they were doing nothing constructive for the economy at all, it was just a funding merry-go-round with public money, nobody cared two hoots whether a business was sustainable in the long term or not. To me a business is only worth setting up if it has a chance of success. I think France is probably too extreme in that but equally I think the UK is too extreme the other way.[/quote]

We are talking small companies here, 'one man bands' as it were which is what the AE scheme is primarily aimed at in France. In the UK the help you got was that it was made easy to set up a limited company, you could get rate free offices if you needed them, you got some tax incentives and things like free banking. All these had a maximum duration. We didn't have an office as such but worked from home although mainly we were on the customers site. The free banking I seem to remember was for the first two years. There were no grants available to us directly and probably not indirectly (like I don't know if the banks and government got money from the EU etc). It was all the little thing which individually had little value yet added together were a great help to a small company starting out.

[quote user="EmilyA"]I think for it to be an oxymoron you would have to say something like "French entrepreneur"....[/quote]

There you  are I have said it french entrepreneur...

The Breton Tuna fishing boat making a magnificent job of pulloing a converted container ship/boat/liner across the Indian Ocean has told the tugboats which have finally arrived on the scene to "frig off" and refused to cede the tow to the tugboats, the tuna boat should arrive in Mahé around 6 CET tomorrow morning, the folks back home in Brittany can look forward to more than a little cash from the salvage.

Congratulations to the Bretons and their entrepreneurial spirit.[:D]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You make it sound as if no-one in France knows how to run a business......[8-)]

[/quote]

Thats unfair.

I deliberately said "in generalised terms", and I didnt say all the seasoned professionals............. etc.

However if it sounded like that to to you then I must try harder [:(]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You make it sound as if no-one in France knows how to run a business......[8-)]

[/quote]I'm pretty sure that's what Bush was trying to say (in his inimitable fashion.)[/quote]

Difficult to say with George. Indeed difficult to whinnow the chaff on a thread purportedly dedicated to what HollandE, with an "e" at the end thinks of AE.

But nevertheless it is of interest, but completely off topic, to learn that Quillan was, allegedly, capable of apparently in the UK getting an important entrepreneurial trail blazer off the stocks.

Not sure what this has to do though with HollandE with an "E".[6]