Doing business in France

NormanH

This is the World Bank’s ease-of-doing-business ranking. The left column is 2011, and the second column is 2010.

1 1 Singapore

2 2 Hong Kong SAR

3 3 New Zealand

4 4 United Kingdom

5 5 United States

6 6 Denmark

7 9 Canada

8 7 Norway

9 8 Ireland

10 10 Australia

11 12 Saudi Arabia

12 13 Georgia

13 11 Finland

14 18 Sweden

15 14 Iceland

16 15 Korea, Rep

17 17 Estonia

18 19 Japan

19 16 Thailand

20 20 Mauritius

21 23 Malaysia

22 21 Germany

23 26 Lithuania

24 27 Latvia

25 22 Belgium

26 28 France

[quote user="NormanH"]This is the World Bank’s ease-of-doing-business ranking. The left column is 2011, and the second column is 2010.

1 1 Singapore

2 2 Hong Kong SAR

3 3 New Zealand

4 4 United Kingdom

22 21 Germany

26 28 France

[/quote]

Quite so which is probably why HSBC and the Pru will relocate to no.1 / 2 . . .

[quote user="Pickles"]The people that I deal with in France were amazed when I told them that in the UK it was possible to register a limited company online and have the paperwork through within a couple of days.

[/quote]

I had a similar conversation about 5 years ago with a Paris taxi driver. When he asked what I did, I mentioned my 3 main jobs, and he asked me how many dossiers I'd had to submit to register my business, and to how many caisses I paid cotisations.

When I explained that I hadn't had to do anything except advise the tax office, and that my "cotisations" were about £10 a month, he was a bit surprised.

As I've said before on this forum, I have French friends in the UK who are there for this reason - it's far easier for them to do business in the UK than here.  It may indeed be seen as unimportant, but surely it drains away anybody with a bit of nous and drive and sends them elsewhere?  Is this a good thing?  It reminds me of the old "brain drain" which the UK used to suffer from but has certainly seemed to rise above in recent times.  Or maybe that's my imagination.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Does this reflect the view of French people doing business in France or foreigners trying to come in and do business?[/quote]

I should think it's both.

I have set up a small publishing venture, and a business-savvy French friend asked me what training and formalities I had had for it.   I told her that here in the UK you only have to purchase a batch of ISBNs (minimum 10; cost today about £118) - and just do it.  She could not believe it.

Angela