surviving on no money whilst starting new life

steve

Hi,we are currently on job seekers after loosing jobs here in Ireland,been like that for 2 years with no future prospects.we have a house in France and would like to move there full time In order to try to find building work and set up bxb,we have little funds and I understand that we get no joseekers from france as we haven't paid any french stamps but would there be any help towards setting up and also trying to live.what can you earn before paying tax? If we were able to get building work from English property owners and some bxb,any help welcome

Welcome to the forum

Sorry but on the face of it frying pan to fire is what comes to mind immediately.

NI or Irish Republic, there may be differences depending.

UK wise I believe you may be entitled to some limited JS if you come to France to seek work, to actually move may compromise that.

You will get nothing from the French.

Tax allowances in France are quite generous but tax will be the least of your worries. Even if you moved today you would not have to find any tax due for 2012-2013 until about September 2013.

How you provide for your health care is a more pressing issue, do you qualify for an E106(S1) if not you cannot live here legally without full private health insurance which I'm guessing you can't afford ?

Have a look at these threads:

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/1/2558691/ShowPost.aspx#2558691

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2640068/ShowPost.aspx

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/1584441/ShowPost.aspx

They will give you some basic information about setting up in France. However, it is hard not to be discouraging about the possibilities: France (as has been frequently discussed in other threads) is not terribly helpful to those setting up new businesses of the sort that you are indicating.

My suggestion, for what little it is worth, would be to investigate letting out the whole French property - either as a seasonal let or longer-term - and try to find building work in the UK - more specifically England.

If you are indeed from Eire then there is no health cover via the S1/E106, I'm afraid - some member states don't have that facility and Eire is one.  I second what the others have said (while I was posting!) AnO has it bang on, imo, healthcare will be your major problem. What's more it's no good coming over and just hoping, you must be covered to live here legally these days.

Sorry to sound like a bunch of party poopers but better to be for-armed.

Welcome.[:)]

Yes its Eire,would it be possible to go over for a few months at a time and if we get cash jobs/bxb use that money but stay as an Irish resident until things work out,ie long holidays but with the chance of earning whilst you live

[quote user="andyh4"]Sorry to rub salt into the wound but to legally become resident in France you are required to have a minimum income, which by the sound of it you will not have.[/quote]

Sorry andy but with pedants hat on there is no requirement for a minimum income, in fact you don't need an income at all, what you must have though are sufficient resources so as to not be a burden on the state. There is a difference [;-)]

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12017.xhtml

Google translation (my underline)

Conditions for a right of residence

The other inactive or retired must have for him and his family members,

sufficient resources to avoid becoming a burden on the social

assistance system and a French maternity insurance.

This is going to be blunt but it is realistic: if you have no money, that is not the time to think of leaving what you know (Eire) and moving to what you don't (France, but pretty much any other country). It is expensive to set up in a new country.

If you are thinking of doing so, that's desperation / depression / panic talking and it's a bonkers idea. Which isn't to say I don't feel for your situation because I do - and for everyone else in a similar situation... many of whom are probably British people already here and trying to make a go of it in France and failing.

Having a holiday home is not the same as living and working here. If your French house is an asset but costs you money you don't have, have you researched selling it?

I think you"d be completely barmy to move to France BUT I've never known anyone at all be asked to justify their presence or their resources since the days when the Carte de Sejour was stopped.

You won't get any help from anyone, and it won't be much fun if you get ill. However in our area anyway there are plenty of people (only English or Dutch I have to say) who've been here for much longer than the 10 years I've been here, never been part of the system, worked on the black and never been bothered. The authorities are aware of their existence but so long as they don't ask for anything don't seem to care. Despite all the dire warnings on forums like this the reality is that nothing much happens to them. Those who are correctly registered and above the parapet seem to get much more hassle.

I dare say this will be immediately refuted by those who 'know' but as a law abiding registered person - and I'm on the local council so have a pretty fair idea of what goes on - I often wonder why I ever bothered as I deal with all the bothersome administration that goes with being legal and watch those who aren't just get on with their lives. I wouldn't do what you want to do, but if you do so long as you don't ask for assistance I don't think anyone will bother you.

I realise that there would be no help financially but how do you stand if you want to earn for the weeks your there say temporary work,having our EU health card covers the medical and still owning our house and being registered in eire keeps us residant there.it would be a working holiday to allow us to build a start and not need help in any way

It's worth asking this, I suppose....but you seem to be making a huge assumption that work, whether legal or on the black, is going to be easy to come by in France. Or at least, from your comments, you believe it'll be easy enough to come by to allow you to live AND save a bit to get by on. What makes you think that? In particular, you talk about working for Brits. Well, the news is that, of all the groups you could choose, Brits are probably one of those who are selling up and going elsewhere in the largest numbers, most are retired (and after yesterday's budget. they may be saving the pennies even more) and fewer are throwing money at building work, black, white or any other colour. I'd have a serious think before you do anything, if I were you. But I'm not.

[quote user="Cerise"]I think you"d be completely barmy to move to France . . . . . . .[/quote]

Love it [img]http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon_super.gif[/img] - especially with no money.

[quote user="Cerise"] I often wonder why I ever bothered as I deal with all the bothersome

administration that goes with being legal and watch those who aren't

just get on with their lives. I wouldn't do what you want to do, but if

you do so long as you don't ask for assistance I don't think anyone

will bother you.

[/quote]

Am tempted to agree, ah what the hell, I will agree.

What is 'bxb' though?

We used to have a load of English builders round here but the majority have now gone back to the UK because basically the work has dried up. With people watching their pennies back in the UK French house renovation etc projects have almost come to a halt. There are loads of half finnished ones in the agency windows round here and thy just are not selling. Mind you at current prices, assuming they have 'bottomed' out it's a good time to buy.

So all in all, and like others have said, I wouldn't bother. You may have a lot more to loose than gain.

Hard to see you ending up much better off (not much work around and how would you find it, you can't advertise if you're not registered) while on the other hand your plan is fraught with risks that could land you in serious financial trouble - getting dobbed in for illegal work by a French/Brit artisan who is fed up with unregistered and uninsured builders, having an accident whilst working and ending up with astronomical hospital bills to pay. You could well find yourself in the middle of a nightmare, dreaming of the days when you were safe in Ireland with regular jobseekers coming in, a house in France and nobody hounding you for ridiculous amounts of money that you don't have.

The bottom line is, France is probably one of the last places to come to earn a quick buck. It looks after its own and does nothing to encourage people to move here unless they are prepared to pay in before they take out.

The Brits who either have second homes or have retired on UK pensions are feeling the effect of lower exchange rates - when we bought in 2007 it was virtually 1.50 euros to the pound now 1.20 - and the general rise in costs means that some will have tightened their belts and not have funds to pay someone to do odd jobs.

Totally agree with others who say stay where you know.

Paul

British customers are very thin on the ground in France these days, the years of plentiful work they gave to the english builders living here are all but over and those who are living here are now doing their own work or using a local french artisan. Our client base was 99% french clients with the odd british one now and again but hardly compared to the droves who wanted work doing over 15 years back.

Knowing what I do, have experienced and in the systems here for just about everything you can think of,I urge you to think twice before getting carried away with the idea that France is the land of the plentiful work,cheap living and sitting in the sun drinking wine, nothing could be further from the truth unless you are retired with a good monthly income. You will get absolutely nothing from the french should you require financial help and they will cut your electric and water off here within days of non payment, no red reminders nor court visits and if you cannot pay your bills,you goods or even your property will be seized before you can blink. You may fare better in an undeveloped country that needs skilled workers or Australia,Canada etc but times are hard there too!

Many of the younger people round here have emigrated to the UK because there is more work there than round here. Even in the big cities down south (Toulouse etc) have no jobs now. I believe I am right in saying that France has more unemployed than the UK, if not somebody will correct me.

[quote user="Val_2"]...I urge you to think twice before getting carried away with the idea that France is the land of the plentiful work,cheap living and sitting in the sun drinking wine...[/quote]

To be fair to Steve, the OP, I don't think wine and sitting was in his mind. I gathered that he was absolutely desperate to work and earn and is looking for validation that time in France at their home there might deliver salvation.

I think it's unlikely but I know you know, Val, that when times are tough you look at every possibility. It's just that I can't convince myself that - unless Steve is absolutely sure that there's work available for the taking - getting work in France is a viable option for them.