AE: I owe RSI 28 000 €

Clair

I got a letter a couple of months ago, stating I owed the RSI just under 28 000 €.

They're the Sécu for the self-employed and although I am self-employed, I declare my income and pay my contributions and income tax via the AE site.

I also know that to owe that much in contributions, I'd have to generate a whole lot more than the few thousands I make from renting a gite for 2 months of the year!

So I filed the letter in the bin, where I also file the scam letters demanding 450€ for a directory listing I've never asked for, and the scam letters asking for the names of my employees... I honestly thought it was une arnaque !

Then I received another letter last Saturday. A final demand, this time, giving me 8 days to pay the whole amount, or else... [blink]

I called this morning and after four attempts, I managed to get through to a polite young lady who calmly explained there had been "an error in classification".

They had no record of my status under the AE scheme ( if so, where did my registration come from?) and I had been listed as a "Chef d'entreprise", who, according to them, hadn't declared any income since 2009 and consequently, deserved to be charged the maximum amount possible under their calculations!

They did have a note of the contributions I have paid to date, but somehow, they had been left sitting in a blank column somewhere... [8-)]

I am now left waiting for a letter which will confirm that I don't owe anyone anything... I won't hold my breath...

All the efficiency you expect from the French Administration!

[quote user="Patf"]I think I would have had several heart attacks if that had happened to me![/quote]

To tell you the truth, I did feel queasy all weekend... [:(]

You'd have to be a fool to want to argue with an employee of the French state, regardless of how fluent you are!

[quote user="woolybanana"]Do you have proof that you registered as an

AE? If so, I would hoof it off down to the nearest tax office PDQ or

whatever and show them. Phone calls are no good IMHO.[/quote]

Yes I have proof, and proof of the contribution payments to date (which also show against my Social Security number, I was told during the tel call).

I'll give them a week or so to update their system with the correct info, and if I haven't had a letter by then, I'll call again, just to make sure...

I've read somewhere that they have someone who does the rounds every week in a town nearby, so if all else fails, I'll hoof it down there with my files.

Not that I want to worry you, Clair, but google "problème RSI" and at least (although it's no comfort) you'll see you're far from alone.

This site in particular shows the extent of the problem, even though it's just focusing on one area...

[URL]http://marseille.tv/rsi-regime-social-incompetent-1738-1738.html[\URL]

You'll have to C&P...the link button has never worked for me, even before this recent change[6] .. Now I can't even type the "url" bits and make it work....[:'(]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Not that I want to worry you, Clair, but google "problème RSI" and at least (although it's no comfort) you'll see you're far from alone.

This site in particular shows the extent of the problem, even though it's just focusing on one area...

http://marseille.tv/rsi-regime-social-incompetent-1738-1738.html]

[/quote]

I know, I know... and in a way, it is almost reassuring to know it's not just me, if you see what I mean...

(and it's the main reason why I refuse to pay by direct debit where I can avoid it. Once "they" have your money, they have less incentive to resolve any problem.)

I'd been dealing with them on a weekly basis regarding my OH demise and my pension rights etc.They suddenly turned round and said he had never worked in France and was not registered here. I have the original certificate with URSSAF when he was first registered and upon ringing the head office for the whole region which covers four depts they knew all about us.The local office for the dept has no idea what is going on, yet they are quick off the mark to keep sending bills even after the business was officially closed and OH dead. Same with the Chambre de Metiers who de-registered him and then last week I got a letter addressed to him with is new yearly ID card - I sent it back and told them to get their house in order!  RSI are a bunch of useless penpushers who don't know their elbows from their a**es in my opinion.

10 days later...

I called the RSI again this morning, as I hadn't heard anything and I didn't relish the idea of a couple of burly bailiffs on my doorstep!

A clearly-bored chappie at the RSI end of the line said they had marked the file for correction and that it was now down to the Payment Centre to follow up on it and actually make the necessary correction, which hasn't yet been done.

I expressed my concern that as fact as the Payment Centre was concerned, the file still said I owed them 28K and asked if there was anything I could or should do to speed things up. He replied:

• all that was needed was for the Payment Centre to take the change into account
  • the file has been marked so that no further payment reminder would be sent and no action would take place as far as monies dues were concerned
  • these things can take time, some people have been waiting for OVER A YEAR !!
  • call back in two weeks

In view of that conversation, I have decided to cease trading until this is resolved.

I will close the AE business to ensure no further incorrect claims are made.

[quote user="Chancer"]That is disgracefull and it so saddens me to hear that [:(][/quote]

Well, Chancer, it pi55es me off that there is so little concern or consideration for the 'little people' affected by the French administration's incompetence and the anguish it creates, but I would have been be utterly amazed if the matter had been resolved!

I will carry on calling and I will also arrange to meet the RSI representative in town ASAP. I don't know that this will make any difference, but it will make me feel as if I have some sort of control... (though I know I don't [:'(])

[quote user="Clair"]10 days later...

In view of that conversation, I have decided to cease trading until this is resolved.

I will close the AE business to ensure no further incorrect claims are made. [/quote]

This so saddens me as, correctly overseen, small businesses could be the underpinning of France.

Some French fonctionnaires want a kick up the backs*de

'Tis such a shame; I hope you recover your equilibrium soon.

Sue

Clair it isn't just them. The pensions people have been as bad. Took them months to pay a sou. They did back date, but got it wrong and have now been overpaying for 15 months. Took a year for them to send a CEAM card which only lasts a year and a year to send the S1 which when Newcastle sends them their signed bit, they lose.

Good luck, I have pm'd you.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clair"]10 days later...

In view of that conversation, I have decided to cease trading until this is resolved. I will close the AE business to ensure no further incorrect claims are made. [/quote]

This so saddens me as, correctly overseen, small businesses could be the underpinning of France.

Some French fonctionnaires want a kick up the backs*de

'Tis such a shame; I hope you recover your equilibrium soon.

Sue[/quote]

Thanks Sue.

The idea of the AE scheme looked like the perfect solution for small businesses in France, but I am not entirely surprised to see it coming under pressure.

Other businesses see it as "unfair competition" due to the low charges - new charges have been added almost every year since the scheme's inception.

Add to that the complete lack of training or information on the French admin side of things. It is just disheartening and frustrating. That guy this morning just couldn't be bothered. I could hear the boredom in his voice and his complete lack of interest.

Nobody seems to know anything, nor can they be bothered.

[quote user="Clair"]Other businesses see it as "unfair competition" due to the low charges - new charges have been added almost every year since the scheme's inception.

Add to that the complete lack of training or information on the French admin side of things. It is just disheartening and frustrating. That guy this morning just couldn't be bothered. I could hear the boredom in his voice and his complete lack of interest.

Nobody seems to know anything, nor can they be bothered.[/quote]

In my view France is missing a trick as small businesses can add so much to the economy in the knock-on effect they can have. If, by encouraging some people, who would not normally take the plunge re running a business, to knuckle down and have a go, the small business they create can benefit and support many other businesses in turn when goods and/or services are bought. 

As I said it is a shame that a good scheme is being woefully derided and neglected.

Sue

I saw a program last night on the plight of the working, contributing sans papiers who recieve no benefits, they highlighted the thousands of them that have fullfilled all the criteria giving them the right to a carte de sejour and how they are deliberately jerked around by the foncs at the préfécture, piéce manquante, dossier perdu etc all the old tricks.

What was really scandalous was for them, just to get to see a bored, disinterested and unhelpfull fonc they had to start queing at 18.00 the nigt before to be in with a chance the next morning, by midnight the queue was several hundred people camped out, they reported that there are 15 guichets with a maximum of 3 being used, none between mid-day and 14.00.

My heart really went out to them.

"In view of that conversation, I have decided to cease trading until this is resolved.

I will close the AE business to ensure no further incorrect claims are made."

I do empathise - but don't cut off your nose to spite your face - be aware that once you have closed your AE, you may not then be allowed to open another business doing the same thing for a long long time.

Yes I know, there's no end to it is there ...

Clair - I am suitably, totally appalled... I would have thought that out of all people, you were one of the last it could happen to as you are so sharp, so well-informed, so articulate, so resourceful. Other than that, having looked at the fora where people try to rally together to make their case stronger against that awful RSI,  I am not really surprised. Yours is one of so many similar stories - it is so awful how powerless and frustrated and murderous is can make you feel. 

How can the country function with that sort of backdrop??? How come the whistle-blowing has not been very effective so far??? WHO is keeping their head in the sand, resisting reform and blocking progress??

Also, I didn't see the programme Chancer is referring to, but have seen many others of that kind. Another national disgrace, to treat human beings in that way. A country which takes so much pride in  its "republican values".....