Teaching English (immersion) in France

kateob

Next year I shall complete my degree in English language and literature, and late in the year we plan our move to France.  I understand that the degree will enable me to teach English by total immersion, by having students to stay in our home for up to two weeks.  Does anyone have any knowledge of what the French authorities would require for me to be able to do this?

I stay with a French (bilingual) family near Mayenne several times a year and the whole area around Gorron is flooded with French students who come for english language immersion during the school holidays (they are only allowed to speak english for the time they are there).  They come from Paris, Lille and many other areas - perhaps this corner of France is so popular because there are so many English people living there.......

If you are making an income from this you will need a legal status, such as being an Autoentrepreneur, as well as the language qualifications.(A TEFL is a good idea, but also plenty of teaching materiel.)

http://autoentrepreneur.fr/auto-entrepreneur-etranger/

I don't know if there are any regulations about paying guests. Those running B&Bs would better placed to advise on things such as hygiene regulations.

You should be aware that France is a very bureaucratic country, and things aren't as easy in practice as they may seem from a distance.