Part-time private lessons - how to go about it

Nicola

Hello

I am living in France as a dependant on my

husband.  He is retired (over 65) , I am

55 and our income comes from his pensions and a little rental.  We pay tax in France.  I am covered for health care with CPAM affiliation

through his S1.  I would like to teach

English privately for a few hours a week. 

Should I register as an autoentrepeneur for this?  Are people willing to use the cheque d’emploi

system, for this sort of thing?  Can I

remain with CPAM as I would still be dependant on my husband and only working

very part-time.  I wouldn’t want to

jeopardize his status and rights.

Thanks for any ideas

Can I suggest that you proced very carefully, and check - including with CPAM, before doing anything official. 

I am retired and signed up for auto-entrepreneur in 2009 but quickly pulled out when I found my sickness etc cover were transfered to a body called CIPAV (and there's another story!) without my being informed that CPAM were no longer my providers. I only discovered this when I came to use my Carte Vitale some months later, which had been cancelled;  and it took another 6 months at least to sort it out, meanwhile I was without any kind of cover. One would assume, from reading the documentation on A-E, that the CIPAV cover (in cases of someone retired) would be extra to CEPAM but apparently it was not.

Three years later I am still trying to resolve the CIPAV side of things, as they demanded fixed-sum deductions which do not apply to A-Es - there is considerable coverage of their disastrous service on the website www.auto-entrepreneur.fr (rubrique Charges Sociales, heading 'CIPAV = blag?') which will give you an idea. CIPAV are responsible for sickness and pensions for liberal professions, and mistakenly lumped A-Es in together with their regular fulltime clients.

The 'cheque d'emploi' may be the solution for you but I have no direct experience, having had to find an alternative solution in my own case.

Hope this helps, and do take care - P-D de R.

My wife is a language teacher and she works both through AE and cheque emploi associative. She was originally with CPAM and about a year after registering as an AE she was moved to RSI (the main caisse for professions liberales. Her pension contributions apparently go to CIPAV.

I am also registered as an AE prof. lib in a different profession.

When she was transferred it took a couple of months for the paperwork to sort itself out, but we've never had any problems with RSI or CIPAV that we are not at least partly to blame for. I made a hash of adding an activity at the same time as we moved house and I ended up with two registered locations, which complicated matters.

My AE cotisations have covered me for ongoing medication for a heart problem and all the costs of dealing with bowel cancer, including 7 weeks in hospital.

Many thanks for your responses and advice.  Are

there not a number of hours a week that one can work without changing

healthcare affiliation?  If one is still a

dependant and any income earned as an autoentrepeneur or under cheque d’emploi system is a

very small part of the household income, can one still remain affiliated to

CPAM?

I think that the reply to your specific question will be that's what auto-entrepreneur was created for, with all the consequences I have outlined. Can I suggest you either visit your local CPAM office or wait for the next visit to your local town of the person from social security - your Mairie can advise. It is essential to get it right, before your commit to any possible change. P-D de R.

[quote user="NormanH"]The latest noises about AE might well suggest that CESU is the way to go.
I was paid like this for several students  a few years back, and even got points towards my French pension.
[/quote]

Norman,

What 'latest noises'? There have been noises about AE pretty much since it started and about 80% of them were never more than noise. It's worth keeping an eye open for the other 20% though.

Reading these posts it would seem that in my particular case

CESU may be the best system to use.  However,

if I worked, say, a couple of hours a week, would this mean I was no longer

covered for health care with CPAM via my husbands S1? Even if I was still

dependent on him financially?

Nicola:  You will need to check with CPAM but I was told recently that one must do something like 16 hours a month before CESU or a very part-time job covers healthcare. If that is right then you would be safe on 8 or 9 hours a month.  I don't have the number to hand but I think there is still an English speaking helpline for CPAM. Details may be on sticky on Health section.

In haste, off to see a Maison de retraite for my Mum!

This may not be applicable to the CESU, but it shows the hours you need to do to obtain cover by working.

60 hours a month is quoted.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F739.xhtml

• avoir travaillé au moins soixante heures, ou avoir cotisé sur un

salaire au moins égal à soixante fois le montant du SMIC horaire,

pendant un mois civil ou trente jours ;
  • ou

avoir travaillé au moins 120 heures, ou avoir cotisé sur un salaire au

moins égal à 120 fois le montant du SMIC horaire, pendant trois mois

civils ou un trimestre ;
  • ou avoir travaillé au

moins 1 200 heures, ou avoir cotisé sur un salaire au moins égal à 2 030

fois le montant du SMIC horaire, pendant douze mois.

The common problem is to work enough hours in the required time.

Having contacted CPAM 

I now think that my particular query has been answered as  it seems working less than 60 hours per month

or 120 hours per quarter  is possible

without affecting  “ l'ayant-droit”

rights to healthcover.  Thanks for all

the help and advice.