Robbed by the RSI

Snowmonkey

Hi all, I have just had my 2012 regularisation statement from the RSI. I had a bit of a quiet year in 2012 and profit after expenses was just less than 15.000 €. And the good old RSI want 7641 € of it!!! Every year when I get this bill it sends me into a bit of a rant. But is it just me? Am I missing a trick here? How can you expect to live when over 50 % of your profit is taken off you?

For information, I am a self employed commercial agent in the "Reel" system.

Thoughts and advice welcomed...

I know someone in the same position, had two or three good years but this one the orders have dropped off, I posted about it on another forum, advice so far has been, your  accountant should talk to the RSI, with a comment that the acc is being lazy if he has not already. Apparently, the Chambre de commerce sent out a block email asking them to get in contact with them if the business was in difficulties. As you have said, ridiculous, what if you have an even quieter year? 

We suffered for years and years like this end of each year, then back then it was URSSAF before the 2007 amalgamation into the RSI for independents and it was usual to base the forecast for the forthcoming year's contisations on the past couple of years accounts. Unfortunately you have no choice but to pay their forecast unless you can get your accountant to write to them or go in person, never just ring or send e.mails as they will not respond, and discuss your worries and projections with them. Most Chambre de Commerce or Mètiers have an RSI permanence at least one day per month and you can go then without an appointment or go to the main office for your region although here we have discovered that the local dept office never speaks to the overruling main office which covers the four depts of this region.

RSI is aptly named (Repetitive Strain Injury).

Seriously though, does this payment include tax as well, or is that separate? Even with tax included, it's an outrageous amount.

Someone on here was saying the US government is sick for not providing free healthcare. Could argue the same thing about French government penalising people for working.

It appears that Mr Hollande never attended any institution where les fables de La Fontaine were studied, particularly La poule aux oeufs d'or (actually pinched from Aesop's "The goose that laid the golden eggs")

Either that or he was sitting at the back with that silly grin and not listening[6]

When will governments realise that the way out is by encouraging people to be able to open up small businesses or be entrepreneurs? The more people at work, the more that will pay tax, and the less the money has to be wasted on benefits. They should be encouraging this by reducing taxes. What's happening now is akin to shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

No, RSI payments are not income tax payments but payments towards pension,health,unemployment and other benefits. Income tax is seperate and actually not many artisans do actually pay it when they are paying high social charges. The RSI payments are important to keep up with, the majorations of 10% soon amount to many more hundreds of euros in interest if you get behind and then Huissiers are sent out, they also take it direct from your account without permission and can take your car registration numbers and keep them blocked by the Prefecture so if you want to sell you cannot, I know have been through all this sh**e over many years here and I tell you,its like working just to survive which is what we all left the UK for. However, years down the line, if OH had not paid his cotisations to day I would not be receiving my pension de Reversion for widows which requires a minimum of 15years payments first.

Go and see your local people asap to get this sorted toute de suite before any majorations start to appear when you cannot pay

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]When will governments realise that the way out is by encouraging people to be able to open up small businesses or be entrepreneurs? The more people at work, the more that will pay tax, and the less the money has to be wasted on benefits. They should be encouraging this by reducing taxes. What's happening now is akin to shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.
[/quote]

Even so, it's EDF who are going to supply and build Britain's next nuclear power station.

Looks like Britain is going to look after the shops and other small businesses while France does the big stuff[:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]It seems that both the type of reactor to be built and the rate to be charged for the electricity it produces may not be so hot.[/quote]

Whatever. It's still not being built by a British company, despite all the no doubt learned criticism. Actions speak louder ... etc.

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]When will governments realise that the way out is by encouraging people to be able to open up small businesses or be entrepreneurs? The more people at work, the more that will pay tax, and the less the money has to be wasted on benefits. They should be encouraging this by reducing taxes. What's happening now is akin to shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

[/quote]

Even so, it's EDF who are going to supply and build Britain's next nuclear power station.

Looks like Britain is going to look after the shops and other small businesses while France does the big stuff[:D]

[/quote]

That's fine. It's the small businesses that keep a country going though.

Oh, and the US got a Canadian firm to design their healthcare website and it doesn't work!