Real ale in France

ellie

I am hoping to move to France and sell real ale to hotels, resturants and English shops, as well as on market stalls. Firstly, I was wondering if people think there'd be a market for it? and secondly does anyone know how I find out about licencing laws?

I know of a number of Brit who have moved to France and set up real ale microbreweries and they have found a niche market amongst the French as well as expats, but I get the impression they have had to work hard. Clearly there is a real ale market here but it will be competitive, you will be up against the local microbrewers and also Belgium and German beers. I don't know about licensing or the best way to set your business up, probably best to ask at your local chamber of commerce who should provide free business advice..

"I am hoping to move to France and sell real ale to hotels, resturants

and English shops, as well as on market stalls. Firstly, I was wondering

if people think there'd be a market for it? and secondly does anyone

know how I find out about licencing laws?"

ellie, if you can get hold of them read three books by James Ivey who with his wife decided to seek out and sell Rosé in France, ultimately selling in French markets.

• la Vie en Rosé
  • Extremely Pale Rosé
  • Rosé en Marché
Rosé en Marché describes the problems they had getting a licence and then obtaining permanent places in the local markets.

Good luck and I wish you well with your dream.

edit: the author is Jamie Ivey

• 3 months later...
We have a second house in Normandy and I would certainly buy real ales. There are two breweries that I know of in Normandy - Le Brewery (good website) and Steve Mobsby.  Might be worth visiting or contacting them.  Le Brewery are more established and seem to have some accepted brews for the French.  Mainly lighter coloured and stronger than English session brews.

Where will your brews come from? Imported?  Not sure where you want to go, but Ex Pats are likely to be important.  Some very good large markets in Normandy but not seen much real ale being sold - So may be an opportunity!!!!

There are quite a few micro-breweries in the Dordogne. I would buy the beer but the prices are sky high.

I stick to Goudale it is pasteurised but hits the spot.

I read of a Brit that set a micro-brewery up in Eyemet and got stifled with laws and ended up doing brewery trips as his only way to make money. Perhaps someone can update us on what finally happened?

Met a Brit in Barcelona a master brewer and an incredible man who had set up a brewery in Spain and his life and business was made difficult every step of the way and he ended up bankrupt.

He nows runs a real bar in Barcelona - well worth a trip.

I must admit about all I miss of the UK is Fullers ESB on draught - especially if you can persuade the landlord to serve it on the day it has been delivered - it efferveses with bits of hops floating around it is amazing, a true elexir of life.

It takes time to persuade landlords to break the rules but when they taste it they are hooked too!

Bastide Brewery is still in existence if its website is to be believed

http://www.bastidebrewery.com/

Two other (French) websites for French breweries are

http://projet.amertume.free.fr/index_brasseries.htm

http://www.biere-france.com/

As Dog says, many of these artisanale beers are expensive so I try to stick to my own favourite - Jenlain Ambrée - which is fairly widely available, but only one bottle suffices.

Brian (again)

• 2 years later...

Re availability of British ale - it depends very much where you are in France.  In some areas where there are largish British populations and/or high numbers of British visitors, the supermarkets stock a small range of British bottle beers - sometimes intermittently.

Here in deepest Ardeche there are none.  To be honest, even if there were, I doubt I would buy much.

• 2 years later...
Well, almost 3 years later and I've done it!!

We moved to Lot-et-Garonne in December 2015, concentrated on setting up our gîte and have now launched the beer business.

Far from selling online, the focus has turned out to be wholesale to bars, restaurants and shops, supported by retail sales from my own shop and at night markets and other events.

The project has received a very warm welcome from suppliers and potential customers and I currently stock 21 different beers from 3 breweries - Adnams, Black Sheep and Hook Norton.

Take a look - http://beerbiere.fr or https://www.facebook.com/beerbiere

PS - I understand Bastide Brewery in Eymet is still going strong and the quality and consistency of the beers has improved - must pay him a visit soon!