Fosse Septiques

mikeandlin

Calling all of you who have had a Fosse put in over the last year or so. We have made an offer on a house that will need one immediately (if the offer is accepted).

Question one is "What is the going cost for the instalation of the tank and connection to the property which will be no more than 30 feet away"

Question two is an obvious one I suppose. Your comments re how you got on with the instalation, how long it took and recommendations for installers (French).

Question three. Any other advice would be good. The property was orignially a house but converted some time ago to a barn. It has four walls a very good roof and the obligatory large ceiling beams and Breton fireplace but nothing else.

Mikeandlin

• 2 weeks later...
We are having one installed at the moment. The price given was 2000 which I have been assured is about what you can expect to pay.

Do not expect to get it done overnight either, French builders work at thier own pace! Ours was booked to be done last October, and the work is going to take about three days... as for the paper work, the builder doing the installation should be able to sort all this out with the local Marie for you.

By the way, if you have a nice garden, make the most of it as ours now looks like a setting for the battle of the Somme.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
We had 2 installed 6 months ago, cost 35,000FF (3,500). We obtained numerous quotations and they hovered around 20,000FF each. My advice when it is being installed carry a spirit level with you as some French builders believe water runs uphill. Don't allow any backfill of trenches untill you have checked the installation of connections. We used a builer close to St Dizier les Domaines who turned out to be an utter rogue, will supply details by email if required.

• 1 month later...
Don't expect to have a fosse installed quickly, it is the holiday period here and in the building trade we usually don't get back on track properly regarding materials deliveries until well into September. Stricter regulations are in force now and depending on your area,you may well need a minimum amount of land on which the installation is to be made. Obtaining permission will take a while at present due to the mairie's holidays too, I have just had some paperwork back for a client which was deposited over five weeks ago and they are requesting even more plans - nothing moves fast this time of year in France.