Gites de France

jimmorley

Hi,
I know someone that contacted them and they were told that if they didnt speak french they would not deal with them because they only rent to french people. I find that strange because they advertise all over the web. Anyone throw any light on this.

Jill

One thing I know about Gites de France is that they will not make a grant to a property that is anywhere near the sea, it has to be rural. A friend converted a house and this is what she was told in spite of the fact that to view the sea from the commune she is in one has to be at the highest point on a very clear day! Also if you get a grant you are comitted to letting with them for quite a long period and they take about 12% letting fee.

I have also heard that if you do get a grant from GDF then GDF set the price you can charge therefor making your gite affordable to the french people who will not pay what the Brits and the dutch will pay......
I was told this by an estate agent in Normandy. He was a Brit so it could be rubbish....

phil

This is a sort of spin-off question - is anyone aware of any funding to develop bed and breakfast properties? i.e. does anyone other than Gites de France do something like this - local communes, mairies, tourist boards etc? Adding value to the area, bringing visitors, saving run-down property - I can make a case to myself why they should, but I need some help to make the sums add up...

Cheers
Mark.

Go to www.gites-de-france.fr/fr/index.htm. Click on OBTENIR LE LABEL. Do not click on the union flag - this does not take you to the equivalent page in English. Once you have clicked on OBTENIR LE LABEL you will be taken to a page where you will see the legend: Telecharger ici le Guide de Createur. This opens up a very long document in Acrobat Reader (in French) which tells you about becoming a Gite de France gite.

Patrick