architect/maitre d'oeuvre

bignose

I'm just trying to understand architect fees and the role of maitre d'oeuvre when you have an architect.

from my reading i understand that architect fees (for a project over 170 sq m) will be around 10% of the building costs. does this include his or her role as maitre d'oeuvre? do they always act as maitre d'oeuvre or do they implement someone else to do the mdo-ing for you? presumably an architect doesn't want to hang around a building site all day (which i presume a professional mdo does)

what if you just want the architect to design the house and then you do the rest of the supervising yourself? would the fees be less than 10%?

how much are the mdo's fees normally also? i've read about mdo who are "agrs" in architecture (does that mean they provide the plans)

deary me - i always go overboard with my questions!!

oh and another thing (does it ever end!!!) - what exactly is the 10% fee of an architect a % of? is it a % of the cost of materials? or a % of the cost of the builder's work? do the builders supply the material and this is included in their quotes?

helppppp! i think they ought to teach us these things at school!!

BigNose the Naive

Basically if it is more than 170 m2 then get an Architect to do the plans for the 'Permis de Construire' only. This would normally cost about 2-3000 but shop around as prices vary considerably. Do not get the Architect to supervise the work because as a general rule they are useless. Try to find a good builder who can co-ordinate the works, but if you can't use a Maitre d'oeuvre who will charge about 8-10% on top of the Artisans invoices. He may visit the site once or twice but certainly won't be there all the time. Some Architects work for/with Maitre d'oeuvres but these partnerships tend to go the bigger jobs (Factories, hospitals etc.).

Regards

Charles